Aftermarket car seat covers

BeckC

I don't mean covers that go on a child restraint. I'm wondering about covers that go on the actual seat in the car.

My parents have leather seats and don't like them and want to get some custom car seat covers. They also want to be able to install a child restraint in their car for my niece who will be here soon.

Is this allowed? I'm guessing it would be similar to a thin blanket/towel between the seat and the child restraint, but I wanted to check.

TIA :)

ADS

BeckC

Air bags that come out of the seats? I have no idea what they have for airbags, but I'm pretty sure it's just for the driver and passenger and side curtain. I'll definately have them check though.

Is it ok for carseat installation?

BeckC

They're not worried about the carseat damaging the leather seat. They just hate the look of it and want custom seat covers for the whole car.

i would say it ok as long as its thin not padded. and fits the seat snug. how do you install the carseat. perhaps install the mark either the latch or seatbelt where it has to be pulled then try the cover and install the seat again. you should be able to get the same tightness marks. my mil didn't like her seats and put a very thin cotton cover over them and it has made no difference in my install.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I'm sure if they are thin and fitted properly to the vehicle seats, then it's not a problem as long as the seat still installs properly on it. You can tell them to check the sides of their front seats, by the door, for SRS or Airbag decals/imprints...most cars with front and curtain airbags also have side airbags for front passengers and they definitely do NOT want to cover those openings (the dealer might have appropriately safe covers, or a good aftermarket dealer, but I wouldn't just buy seat covers from Walmart). Back seats rarely have airbags that come out of the sides, so that probably won't be a problem in that respect (as I said, it's probably fine for carseat installation).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC