Purchased and NOT feeling good: MA, Radian, Frontier, TF - please help

lovemybabes

I finally made a purchase, and I'm not feeling great about it. I have 6mo baby (22lbs rf) in Roundabout (middle), and bought the Marathon for my older boy(2.5yrs 30lbs ff - sideboard). 2-dr cavalier. i can return the seat.

Thinking of my boys growing out of the marathon and roundabout... I'm wondering if I should see if the Radian installs well in my car and return the MA? Or get over the arrangement issues and get a bigger seat.

I didn't go with the True Fit or Frontier b/c I wanted them side by side. Perhaps I should get over how crazy it is to crawl into the back of our 2-dr to get baby into the rf position while sideboard. I can behind the seat and buckle up that way - but getting babe in and out is a pain. Perhaps it's worth the pain though, cause once the RA is ff it will be so much easier and my toddler will be able to be in his seat longer if it's a TF, Frontier or Radian.

Another reality is that we can't count on our car lasting more than another year. In which case we'd get a 4-dr car or van.

I'm searching here... I SO want to make a wise purchase that we're happy with for years. Thank you.

ADS
I've had both MAs and RNs. I loved the MAs when I first got them, but there weren't any other HWH seats available at the time. As my boys have gotten older, I've come to love the lower profile of the RNs. I've never used them RF'ing, but FFing, I love them. If you're not thrilled with the MA, you might want to try a RN. DS1 outgrew the MA last fall, but he still has growth room in the RN. The expiry date for the RN is 7 years instead of 6, so if you can get a comparable DOM, the RN would last longer.

That said, the MA is a great seat too. I can't say that I have any complaints about it, and DS1 found it comfy right up to the point when he outgrew it.

lovemybabes

i guess the radian makes a lot of sense in the long run... the MA just seems so comfy, how do you find the comfort factor? Did your little ones still sleep in it?

featherhead

My dd sleeps in her Radian. I think it is still a pretty comfy seat. I haven't ever seen a Marathon, so I'm not sure how they compare.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What vehicle is it? There is a 3 across thread that has some amazing information about 3 across and some have pictures to go with it. Even though you don't want 3 across it would help you in figuring which seats work well beside each other.

I know I have gotten the TF both RF and FF beside a FF RN and a RF SS1 in my Accord. The TF does seem big and bulky but I was impressed that it fit in such a tight space. So if a TF is one that you would like do try it and don't let it's bulkiness keep you from trying.

i guess the radian makes a lot of sense in the long run... the MA just seems so comfy, how do you find the comfort factor? Did your little ones still sleep in it?

My DS perfers his RN over his MA. I would think the MA would be more comfortable but he insists that the RN is.

My dd sleeps in her Radian. I think it is still a pretty comfy seat. I haven't ever seen a Marathon, so I'm not sure how they compare.

Come on over, I have one RF in my car right now :D

bubbaray

If your DS is FF and you don't want to turn him back to RFg, I'd check out the Frontier. It will last you the longest. If the FR d/n work for you, I'd next check out the Radian/RN.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If your DS is FF and you don't want to turn him back to RFg, I'd check out the Frontier. It will last you the longest. If the FR d/n work for you, I'd next check out the Radian/RN.

My guess would be that the Frontier won't fit well beside a MA or RA. I'm not sure but that would be my guess.

I know that a FF RN will fit beside a RF MA.

What seats do you currently have?

lovemybabes

I have the MA (ff) and Roundabout (rf) now, in a 2-dr Cavalier, but something crazy just happened.... our friends saw us struggling to get the kids in and out, and GAVE us their van!!!!!! So now we have to figure things our for a van. Amazing. We are in shock! And needing to figure out which seat is best for the van now! (Radian, TF or MA). Considering we have a Roundabout, what will be best? Chances are ds2 will grow out of the roundabout...

featherhead

Wow! You have some awesome friends! I'd say with a van, I would go for the Radian or True Fit instead of the Roundabout. It will last a whole lot longer. And the Marathon, you could either keep, or get another Radian or True Fit. The True Fit has a 7 year life span and the Radian has an 8 year. So the seats should last your kids until they are ready for boosters. Or, if you wait a few months you could get your older child the Nautilus...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What kind of van? Year?

I have never had problems installing my MA. I have heard it is hard to get a RN tight with a seatbelt in the captains chairs of the caravan. I've gotten it tight in the third row though.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
What kind of van? Year?

I have never had problems installing my MA. I have heard it is hard to get a RN tight with a seatbelt in the captains chairs of the caravan. I've gotten it tight in the third row though.

Just in the '03... it's pretty easy in all the other years. ;)

lovemybabes

It's a 2001 Honda Odyssey... so neat. I guess i need to try to install it before i buy it - the marathon is so easy - it's just the weight thing... do you have to use seatbelts in the radian after a certain weight?

What kind of van? Year?

lovemybabes

Truly Amazing!!!! We are still in complete awe.
we already have the roundabout (2yrs old), it's the marathon i'm deciding on. but what you are saying is the same thing either way. Thank you for reminding me about the true fit. Does the true fit fit well in the third row (if needing to get three across)? when does the nautilus come out? Is the Nautilus a better rec than the frontier?

Wow! You have some awesome friends! I'd say with a van, I would go for the Radian or True Fit instead of the Roundabout. It will last a whole lot longer. And the Marathon, you could either keep, or get another Radian or True Fit. The True Fit has a 7 year life span and the Radian has an 8 year. So the seats should last your kids until they are ready for boosters. Or, if you wait a few months you could get your older child the Nautilus...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Does the true fit fit well in the third row (if needing to get three across)? when does the nautilus come out? Is the Nautilus a better rec than the frontier?

What is the weight thing that gets you about the MA :confused: The new MA's and RN's both go to 65lbs and as far as the seats go they both pretty much weigh the same. The difference is in the harness strap slots where the RN gives about 1" more room then the MA.

Apparently the GN has higher top slots then the Frontier and should be here by the end of this year or beginning of next (what Graco informed me).

I'm not sure if the TF will fit in the 3rd bench in a 3 across. I guess it would depend on what other seats you were trying to put in beside it and if they are RF or FF.

The Radian should fit in the captain's chairs of your van.

lovemybabes

yes, that's what I was trying to ask (weight thing) - thank you. and thank you for the pictures link!

how do you find fitting seats in the back row?

You got a 2001 Ody for free? Sweet!

I have a 2001 Ody and here are a few pictures with the TF and MA installed (demonstation purpose) on a captain chair http://picasaweb.google.ca/hipmaman/Carseats2008

About the 'weight thing', do you mean at what weight you have to switch from the UAS to seatbelt installation? 48 lbs for Honda.

lovemybabes

I am wondering if you still have your radian - would you be up for a get together for me so check out your seats?

You got a 2001 Ody for free? Sweet!

I have a 2001 Ody and here are a few pictures with the TF and MA installed (demonstation purpose) on a captain chair http://picasaweb.google.ca/hipmaman/Carseats2008

About the 'weight thing', do you mean at what weight you have to switch from the UAS to seatbelt installation? 48 lbs for Honda.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC