Which would be safer???

U

Unregistered

I'm pregnant with my second child, and I'm really rather freaked out about the vehicle situation. I've done lots of research and have decided that an '06 Kia Sedona is the safest minivan available (please correct me if I am wrong). My problem is that I've always had Abby, my two-year-old, in the center seat in the back of my car. I am very stressed over the thought of putting her in an outboard seat (I know, I'm a weirdo!).
The only problem with the '06 Sedona is that the second row only has two buckets, and I originally wanted a bench so I could put the baby in the second row in the middle seat, and Abby in the 3rd row in the middle seat.
So, my question...... would it be safer to buy a minivan that has a bench in the second row and worse ratings than the Sedona and put the kids in the middle of the second and third row, or buy a Sedona and put the kids in the bucket seats in the second row?
I'm sure I'm stressing over this a bit much, but I just want what's absolutely safest for my kids.
Thanks for any advice!!

-Shannon

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Congratulations

IIHS does have the 2006 Kida Sedona as the Top Pick :) In the past it's been the Toyota Sienna & Honda Odyssey....

Anyway, the middle row captains chairs have more spece between them & the side doors than, for instance, the ouboard seats in any sedan/SUV -- they are the most centralized seats in the vehicle & very safe ;)

Happy carseat shopping & installing :p

U

Unregistered

I was hoping you'd say that! I mean about them having more space between the seats and the doors. I thought from the pictures it looked like they were both somewhat toward the middle, but couldn't tell for sure. That makes me feel a little better about it.
I think we better start selling stuff so we can afford the '06 Sedona. lol

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
For safety, you really can't go wrong with any of the top minivans, like Sedona, Quest, Odyssey or Sienna. Pick the one with the seating arrangement and features that work best for you. If you get the Sienna or Quest, try to get an option package with stability control.

Incidentally, the only rating the Sedona has that is notably better than the others is the IIHS seat and head restraint test. This test would not be of any value for kids in harnessed seats or high back boosters, since they do not rely on the vehicle seat or head restraint for whiplash protection.

Good luck shopping!

U

Unregistered

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with a lease option so I don't have to worry about the resale value, because the only way I'd be able to afford a new minivan is to make payments for 72 mo.
I'm going to also look into the Sienna, and see if they have any lease options.

Thank you for all the info!

-Shannon

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Actually resale is a factor to consider even when leasing. Vehicles with a higher resale (aka "residual value" at the end of the lease) can be less expensive to lease because the monthly lease payment is based on how much the vehicle is expected to depreciate over the duration of the lease. Vehicles that would have a lower expected resale (i.e. higher depreciation) often have a higher lease payment. In my area, Toyota is advertising leases on Sienna LE models for $279/month.

HTH and good luck with your vehicle shopping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC