Now I have heard it all.

a_js

So I am at Big Lots and these two women are looking at seats. The first one is buying a convertible Uptown because her DC has outgrown the infant seat. The child was there IN the seat so it was obvious even to me that she was too tall. The second lady asks her why is she buying a new seat already, the baby is only 8 months old and the bucket seats last for at least a year? The first lady replies that the baby is too tall for the bucket seat. And the second lady says "well, I'm sure if she's IN a carseat she'll be fine, I wouldn't worry too much about exactly what the box says!"

whaaa? :eek: I was so happy to see that she had the Uptown in her cart at checkout. *phew*

ADS

xxluckychicxx

:eek: Yikes! Was the 2nd lady an employee? Not that it really matters, bad advice is bad advice, but people usually tend to think that they employees know what they are talking about :rolleyes:. Thank God she didnt listen!

Mommy2Marcus

YIKES! :jaw:

That is REALLY bad advice! But now it really does not shock me anymore sadly! At least she didn't listen & bought the seat anyways!

a_js

No, she wasn't an employee, fortunately. I am *so* glad the other lady decided to buy the seat anyway. I was gathering every ounce of courage I had to approach her (I'd rather have dental work, frankly, I'm pretty shy IRL) and then I saw it in her cart checking out. Her friend was questioning her during the checkout about "you're going to put your GIRL in a blue carseat?" Oh, right, because the *color* of the seat is most important.. I've been doing this all wrong now, I see.

lauralou

Not to barge in but,Lucky how did your son like his uptown? We are getting one and I hope my 20 month old does good (side wise)

NannyMom

I think that second woman was in my class on Monday. I brought up the carseat subject again and we were talking about weight (Sofi's only 24 pounds, will RF until 35....). She said DS is 25 pounds, and he's still in his infant seat because he's only 9 months :eek: He's in a snugride, that I think harnesses to 22 pounds :thumbsdown: So I told her how dangerous that is and he REALLY needs a new carseat NOW. She asked me for advice on which seat...and I gave her a list of 4, $$$$ and $. But, none of her friends had changed their baby's carseat so she wasn't either.

a_js

I'm not who you were asking ;) but my DS likes his Uptown. We have it as a spare. It's a fairly easy install and has high harness slots.. and it's on sale at Big Lots :whistle: I think it's a great seat for the $!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
havent i heard this referred to as the magic bubble syndrome? you put your kid into the carseat (dont need to bother with pesky straps or making sure the child remotely fits into the seat by height/weight, etc) and POOF..a magic bubble forms around the child.....
barf

Shaunam

:eek: DS was tall and fat when he was one. I couldn't have *crammed* him in a snugride! *Maybe* a safeseat. Snugride, no way.

I've always wondered about these kids that are strapped in their seat all. the. time until they are way too big for the seat. Surely they'd rather be out running around. Do they know nothing else or have they given up hope that crying will get them out of the seat? I hate seeing 14 month olds stuck in these seats when I'm waiting at WIC or the ped's office (and I don't mean for 5 minutes, I'm talking 30 minutes and longer). At some point you HAVE to give your kids a little freedom! Just one of my little pet peeves. :eek: That's one thing I don't like about the safeseat...it gives parents an opportunity to keep their kids stuck almost twice as long. :thumbsdown:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
:eek: DS was tall and fat when he was one. I couldn't have *crammed* him in a snugride! *Maybe* a safeseat. Snugride, no way.

That's one thing I don't like about the safeseat...it gives parents an opportunity to keep their kids stuck almost twice as long. :thumbsdown:

yes, this is a HUGE problem with the clients i work with (teaching parenting to parents right on the edge of abuse and neglect) so i have developed an extremely strong dislike for buckets..I see them used as tools of child neglect ALL the time...so i LOATHE them....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC