what's the proper way to carry a car seat?

Melanie

I've been carrying my Marathon (& previous DC & BV) by the harness straps. I'm getting the impression from other threads that this is not ok. Can I carry it by the tether strap? Am I stuck having to carry it by the shell only?

Do different car seats have different ways to carry them? If so, how is a Frontier carried?

ADS

mom2juliarose

I always carry my Marathon by the shell, with the harness straps facing towards me. (Hooking my hands on the edges of each side of the shell.)

Melanie

So have I damaged the harness straps? Do they need to be replaced?

I haven't carried it through an airport or anything. It's been used for about a year and gets switched between cars or brought into the house 2-3x a month.

Ahzryn

I'd call Britax and ask. I believe it causes problems/damage to the adjuster. The last time I looked there was a warning to never carry it by the straps in the manual :(

crunchierthanthou

You're fine. really. It's probably not the best for the webbing and it's not something I'd keep doing, but I don't think you've ruined the harness. The radian actually recommends using the harness to carry. The Frontier manual is the first I've seen that specifically forbids it. Until now, Britax manuals have only warned against carrying by the adjuster strap (and that's still all the current convertible manuals say on the matter).

Carrying by the tether is fine and is my prefered method. I like to loop the tether over my shoulder and carry it like a duffle bag. Although, we use a luggage cart for travel rather than lugging it through the airport.

here's what the MA/BV/DC manuals say-

Never use adjuster strap to lift or carry this child seat. Doing so
could cause damage to harness adjuster and webbing. Always
carry this child seat by its shell or tether straps.

Mommy2Marcus

I generally carry mine by the shell. However I have been known to accdently pick it up once or twice by the harness. I have also carried it using the tether strap. I do not think you have damaged the harness unless you're carrying it this way daily! So I would not really worry about what you have done in the past, just now that you know better use a different method to carry the seat!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You're fine. really. It's probably not the best for the webbing and it's not something I'd keep doing, but I don't think you've ruined the harness. The radian actually recommends using the harness to carry. The Frontier manual is the first I've seen that specifically forbids it. Until now, Britax manuals have only warned against carrying by the adjuster strap (and that's still all the current convertible manuals say on the matter).

Carrying by the tether is fine and is my prefered method. I like to loop the tether over my shoulder and carry it like a duffle bag. Although, we use a luggage cart for travel rather than lugging it through the airport.

here's what the MA/BV/DC manuals say-

Quote:
Never use adjuster strap to lift or carry this child seat. Doing so
could cause damage to harness adjuster and webbing. Always
carry this child seat by its shell or tether straps.

I'm a tad surprised the Britax manuals indicate carrying by the tether is allowed because of the rip-stitch tether, KWIM? I wonder if Britax needs to consider an update to the manuals? :confused:

crunchierthanthou

I'm a tad surprised the Britax manuals indicate carrying by the tether is allowed because of the rip-stitch tether, KWIM? I wonder if Britax needs to consider an update to the manuals? :confused:

that's an excellent point. even the Frontier manual still suggests the tether as a carrying option-

Never use the harness or adjuster strap to lift or carry this child
seat. Doing so could damage the harness adjuster and webbing.
Always carry this child seat by the shell or tether straps.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It sure looks like "boiler plate" wording that Britax probably just carried forward from versions of the manuals pre-dating the rip-stitch tether, doesn't it?

cowgirlsmommy

Britax seats are so huge I just carry them in front of me by the shell. Except for the Regent. That thing I basically hold it upside down behind me by the shell with the bottom of the seat on my head. It's too big to carry any other way.

sunnymw

Usually I turn it upside down and set the seat of the seat (where DS's butt goes) on the top of my head :p Sucks after road trips cause I get cheerio'd!!

Sometimes--and I'm not sure if this is ok--but there is a metal bar on the back of the seat and I move it short distances holding it by that.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Carrying a lightweight seat like the Cosco Scenera by the straps probably isn't as worrisome as carrying a heavy seat like the Britax Regent by the straps ;) Although, mostly for the sake of forming good habits, I do routinely teach parents to carry seats by the hard frame/shell, usually by the base of it (I've seen adjustable headrests become somewhat warped overtime from constantly holding onto the same side).

Continuing to use straps that have been machine washed or ironed or that were restraining a child during a crash is far more dangerous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC