Anyone take their Frontier on a plane yet?

essnce629

Anyone take their Frontier on a plane yet? (Update w/ pics)

We're flying with our Frontier cross-country from CA to VA tomorrow (Tues)and I was hoping I wouldn't be the first one to have to install it on a plane. :eek: I've flown with our FPSVD and BV before with no problems, but this is a totally different kind of seat and I'm kind of nervous. I've been able to install it no problem using a lap belt in the '90 Corolla we had over the summer so I'm hoping I'll be able to do it in the plane.

Anyone else fly with their Frontier yet????

Last edited:
ADS

essnce629

So we're back in VA and we did end up installing our Frontier on the plane (Delta airlines).

To transport the Frontier through the airport (since it's so heavy and there's no way I could carry it by hand for more than a minute) I fully reclined my Peg Perego Pliko Lite stroller and put the footrest all the way up. Then I sat the Frontier in the stroller facing out and secured it with a bungee cord around the shoulder area. This worked great since we had to transport the carseat from our car in the parking lot, through baggage check-in, and then through security and to the gate. And I was able to loop my carry-on bag (Land's End diaper bag) over my stroller handles so I could be hands-free. I also put Conner's carry-on (Land's End backpack) on top of the Frontier so he didn't have to carry anything either. At security, however, they did end up taking the Frontier off and putting it through the scanner even though I asked if they could just use the hand wand to scan it and the stroller together. They ended up hand scanning my stroller since they couldn't get it closed to put it throught the scanner machine and they wouldn't let me close it myself. The whole frontier plus stroller was a perfect set up, and at the gate I just folded up my stroller, put it in my stroller bag, and gate checked it. Then I carried the Frontier on board to install it by myself, while Conner and my bf stayed behind to board last and give me extra time.

For the install, I asked for a seatbelt extender just in case, but I didn't end up using it. Unfortunately, because of how the airplane seatbelts are, the buckle part ended up being right in the middle of Conner's back since the belt path (when using SBP) is on the inside of the seat, not the outside like the MA/BV/DC. The male part of the seatbelt stalk on the plane is extremely long (like 9 inches) and there's no way to shorten it like you can on the female end. Even twisting it wouldn't make a difference unless I twisted it like 12 full times and you're not even supposed to twist the male end! And adding the extender wouldn't make a difference since the extender has to hook on to the original male part and that would just leave you with a buckle both in the middle of the belt path and at the side. So what I had to end up doing (since Conner complained of the buckle hurting his back) is I folded up his sweatshirt and put it behind him in the lower back section so he could no longer feel the buckle. Now I know this is a big no-no in the car, but it's the only thing I could think of at the time and it was either that or not use the seat since Conner said it hurt his back. The only thing that would solve the problem I think would be if Britax allowed the Frontier to be installed using the LBP with just a lap belt. Then the seat belt portion would be routed behind the seat and the buckle wouldn't pose a problem. I did end up getting a tight install and Conner was fine in his seat the entire time. The Frontier didn't seem much wider than other seats. I wasn't able to put the armrest down at all, but my bf still fit in the seat next to Conner with no problem.

I'll try and post some pictures later.

essnce629

Here's some pics:

My set-up-- Peg Perego Pliko Lite stroller, fully reclined with footrest up. Frontier on top, travel tray clipped to cover. Frontier secured with bungee cord. My carry-on bag hanging across handles. Conner's carry-on backpack on top of Frontier.
Img_4909.jpg

Img_4910.jpg

On the plane. 1st flight of trip.
Img_4906.jpg

2nd flight.
Img_4911.jpg

Img_4912.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
AWESOME! Thanks for the review. :) It would be nice if Britax would ok the lap belt LBP.

Wendy

AlishaNC82

I know you said that you couldn't put the arm rest down. Did you bf still have enough room in the adjoining seat or did he feel squished?

Last edited:

Heather98012

Just curious....have you contacted Britax about the belt path issue? I'm wondering because it's FAA approved. So, do they really expect a child to sit with the buckle digging into his/her back, or is there another trick we don't know about? Might be worth a phone call, ya know?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It looks like the tray table would fold down ok? Did it?

AWESOME information, by the way, thanks for sharing!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks for the info. I was wondering had you used the belt extender would you have been able to get a LBP install without the buckle being in his back, what do you think?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just curious....have you contacted Britax about the belt path issue? I'm wondering because it's FAA approved. So, do they really expect a child to sit with the buckle digging into his/her back, or is there another trick we don't know about? Might be worth a phone call, ya know?

It's pretty typical that the buckle will be in the child's back. Our Radian is the same way, as was our Titan. Any seat with an open belt path will be like this (the Britax convertibles are not, because their belt paths are behind the shell.) I don't think this problem is a big enough deal for the manufacturers to even be on their Radar. Luckily for us, our son doesn't mind the buckle in his back.

essnce629

I know you said that you couldn't put the arm rest down. Did you bf still have enough room in the adjoining seat or did he feel squished?

My boyfriend was fine. The Frontier is only a tad too wide for the armrest to go down. If it was a 1/2 inch narrower I'm pretty sure the armrest would have gone down. My boyfriend is average size-- about 5'11 and 165lbs.

No I didn't call. But since several other people said they have the same problem with other seats with open belt paths I guess that's just how it is. Which kind of sucks actually!

It looks like the tray table would fold down ok? Did it?

No, the tray table would not fold down enough to be able to use it. That's why we brought that foam Fisher Price table with us which was perfect for my son to be able to eat and color on. This is it: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585667

Thanks for the info. I was wondering had you used the belt extender would you have been able to get a LBP install without the buckle being in his back, what do you think?

I do think that I would have been able to do a LBP successfully without the buckle being in his back if I used the extender and Britax ok'd the use of LBP with the lap belt. I just didn't try it since I know Britax said it wasn't allowed.

Does anyone know why Britax says you can't use LBP with a lap only belt? Did they ever test this combination?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC