What's your experience with Flex Loc?

RJB78

CPST Instructor
So I had my first experience with a Flex Loc today. Pregnant mother came in with one today. She said she picked it because it was rated top for safety.

I don't know what kind of reputation it has, but it was a pain for me! Why would the release lever be between the vehicle seat and the carrier instead of behind the carrier? And who designed the pathway for the seatbelt to thread through? It was so narrow, I could barely fit the LS belt through! And it's $10 more than SR?

I've noticed some on here saying it's one of their top infant seat choices. Is there something I'm missing?

ETA: We installed it w/seatbelt because no LATCH available.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I hate that seat. Hate hate hate. It's one I'm guaranteed to swear, sweat, and break nails over. I don't know that I've done one with LATCH before. I think maybe once and it was fine. Generally I get them and they're done with the seatbelt and it's HELL.

Wendy

jka1217

I don't own one, but have installed one in my car.

It is a very narrow seat, so I was able to get it and 2 Radians in my narrow backseat with a couple inches to spare. I think it's one of the narrowest I've seen, which would make it appealing for 3 across.

We did a seat belt installation and I didn't think it was that bad. I was trying to put both the lap portion and the shoulder portion through the belt path on the base before I looked at the pictures on the sticker and in the manual again and realized that only the lap portion of the belt goes through, the shoulder portion does not. After that, got it in really tight, can't say if it stayed tight since it was just to try it out.

I didn't really try out any other features though. Not a big fan of the plastic puzzle buckle, but I could live with it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Not on top of MY favorites list :thumbsdown: (any seat that the handle has to be put down doesn't make my cut, lol). If you have a super narrow spot, maybe, but I almost like the Combi Centre/Shuttle better, but hate them all because of the plastic puzzle buckles :eek:

rosey2007

I own a Flex Loc (2005 version) and thought it was ok at the time. I think that the handle was a big PITA(it would stick all the time), the base that I have can only be used with LATCH at the time another PITA, the handle has to be down when in the car another pain. After testing other brands on the market I plan on getting a different brand for the next baby.

fyrfightermomma

I installed one a few months ago for a pregnant mom. Man was I irritated. I felt so stupid as I explained how to remove the seat from the base, and couldn't figure out how and had to look in the manual(yes I look in the manual but I didn't think I needed to look at the how to remove the seat page!)

I tried my best to explain there aren't too many other seats that release like that

RJB78

CPST Instructor
LOL - yes, I felt pretty stupid, too! I felt like saying, "I really do know what I'm doing." :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC