Eight expired car seats off the road!

bekah

I went to volunteer at a local consignment sale (a bunch of people bring their baby items and clothes to a church/gym, etc and sell it together) and I happened to walk into the car seat room and was appalled! I started looking at the car seats and the vast majority of convertible seats were 6 years old. Three of them were at least 7 years old. I was able to tell the director and she said to remove them and mark them expired, so I did.

Three were Britax Roundabouts and two of those were in really good condition, so I know they would have sold. I wish we could have destroyed them but we have to return them to their owners. Hopefully they won't try to sell them on Craigslist. The worst offender was a Jan 1999 Roundabout. I found 8 car seats, 2 bases and one booster seat all expired!

ADS

Carefulove

It would be good for the owner to teach the employees where to locate the Man. date on the seats when they receive them. This way they can turn them down on the spot.

MomToEliEm

I bet you could still sell those roundabout covers and make some money off of them even though the seat was expired.

bekah

Acutally both of your comments were things I actually acted on. I told the owner of the consignment sale that you can find the date of manufacture on the seat and often the expiration date too but if she wasn't sure, she could just add 6 years to the date of manufacture. She didn't have a clue about it before I brought it up, which shocked me!

I also told her to inform the people with the Britax's that they could probably sell the covers and get some money back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC