Oh Crap! He likes FF! No What????

mykidsmylife

Now I need ideas to keep him happy RF. We had to put Seth FF a few times when we were getting rides here. The cars are sooooo small and with my hubby in the front and another tall male driving it was impossible to get Seth RF. Sooooo now we out him rf in the rental and he screamed so mucha nd so loud he threw up. Dh cant handle it and I couldnt handle him getting pissed so Seth went FF :thumbsdown: for the few times we were in the car.
Thing is dh is out buying a cheap beater right now and we wont get the van until the 2nd so until then I want Seth back RF is possible. SOoooooo, I need ideas. DVD player isnt working, toys are not working. I let him eat and that last 5minm then he is screaming again. He screams "Boo Boo Boo (boob)". He wants me to sit back there and breastfeed him.
So for those of you that have delt with this, how did you handle it? What things helped your child?
Would you be okay with him FF for a few trips. They would be quick trips to the base (about a 10min drive on German country roads).

Ugh i could scream. When we get the van I am not worried but now I am.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My DD is in the RF album @ www.cpsafety.com (Leila) -- there's a link on her page which brings you back to a post I created here a couple years ago detailing a role play activity we did to encourage her to appreciate RF.... Adding her picture to the album was part of the encouragement :)

mykidsmylife

Seth isnt even 2 yet. It makes it soooo hard. It isnt like I can negoiate with him. I think I may just go out and buy dh earplugs. LOL. Tell him to suck it up and deal with it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Did you find it, though? I've done it with local families whose toddlers are used to FF & they've said that after a couple days of doing it over & over again the kids adapt really well to RF :) You can do it as many times as you need if you really want RF to be enjoyable -- having a spare seat makes it easier....

HERE

Otherwise, simply maintaining a reliable routine with interesting but safe distractions should be enough.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is there room for you to ride in the back with him? Would that keep him happy?

It might be related just as much to the whole change and once things settle he'll be more laid back about the whole thing?

Melanie

My feeling is that he'll get over it. I'd do what you can to keep him occupied and make him stay RF. I think about it like this-if he didn't want to be in the car seat any way it was facing, you'd still make him be in it. Have you tried singing in a low enough voice that he has to be quiet to hear you? I'm not above bribery-tell him you are going on a car ride to [the park, get ice cream, whatever] and you can only go there if he is quiet. If he has a fit, turn around and come home.

Melanie

Did you find it, though? I've done it with local families whose toddlers are used to FF & they've said that after a couple days of doing it over & over again the kids adapt really well to RF :) You can do it as many times as you need if you really want RF to be enjoyable -- having a spare seat makes it easier....

HERE

Otherwise, simply maintaining a reliable routine with interesting but safe distractions should be enough.

That's a great "game". I'll try it if it's ever needed. Did your DD have a difficult time going FF when it was time?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
That's a great "game". I'll try it if it's ever needed. Did your DD have a difficult time going FF when it was time?

That's the thing -- even when she thought she wanted FF, she would suffer back aches.... Her legs were just too long & dangly (my legs/back hurt when I sit for too long a high stool: same concept)

But, keeping her RF longer made it so that when she finally did turn FF we only had a couple months worth of discomfort before she grew so long that her feet touched the floor (even while buckled into her Husky). I have a really long kid & the 3rd row of the minivan was lower to the floor than in most captains chairs. When she was uncomfortable due to the dangly legs issue, we just used an old rolled up comforter as a foot rest.

Aside of the leg/back pain from dangly legs FF, she did enjoy being able to backseat-drive :rolleyes: *I* didn't enjoy that so much, though, LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC