Oh, the HORROR!! The Misuse!!!

Mama!

:p

Really. This is my DD at about 5 or 6 weeks old. Its her original Graco seat, Winnie the pooh no less. We thought we were big stuff.:whistle:

beeznbstroller.jpg

Notice the aftermarket shoulder pads, the floppy harness, and how loose the straps were over her teeny tiny shoulders! :eek:

What's even more is that I loved that 3 pt seat, and when we replaced it with the later 5 pt counterpart, I actually called Graco and chewed them out for putting something so difficult on that seat!:eek:

so there you go. Run me out of here.

ADS

scatterbunny

Hehe. :p We all made mistakes before we knew better.

ETA this photo of my dd at about 6-8 weeks (she was 5 weeks premature).

e4be8ace.jpg

woah. i actually love the pooh pattern LOL

oh yeah, i look back on some photos of my first born and want to throw myself against a wall. ugh. it makes me sick to my stomach thinking of the aftermarket JUMBO strap pads and FF at 13 months. I read my manual and thought I was doing great. I would even require my friend let me strap in her son (2 weeks younger than mine) in my car because she would never get his seat installed tight enough and half the time either didnt buckle the 3 point or had it so loose he could roll out. thank god i always buckled him cause we were in a car accident and both boys were fine. I just wish I'd know about the aftermarket products (o yeah, i used a seat pad, too!) and not to FF him at 13 months. my gut was telling me to leave him RF but I didnt listen :'(

Mama!

Scatterbunny, your DD looks so similar even now. She has always had a very distinct face in her pics :love:

That FF newborn in a big ole T shield :eek:

And yes, she clawed the crap out of her face for WEEKS and no matter how short I kept her nails, she kept at it. I didn't know some people didnt like mittens back then. :eek:

monstah

Here's my contribution, although it's a different type of "misuse", I still want to share.
After taking DS out of his seat while shopping at BRU, I never buckled him back in! I took this photo after I got home and realized what I had done. :eek: He went down the freeway like this!!
HPIM0802.jpg

northernmommy

Here's my contribution, although it's a different type of "misuse", I still want to share.
After taking DS out of his seat while shopping at BRU, I never buckled him back in! I took this photo after I got home and realized what I had done. :eek: He went down the freeway like this!!

BTDT...Twice actually...and boy did I feel like a great mom when I discovered it...

Mommy2Marcus

HPIM0802.jpg

I've BTDT to! However mine was actually DH drove with him, not me & he only went about 8 miles or so down the road! What happened to us was that we met for dinner accross the street from his work. I took DS out of the seat to feed him a bottle...he was about 3 months old...& change him, then put him back in the seat. I then ran into the store to get a few things & DH took him home, not buckled in! I felt AWFUL! Thanksfully he was not in a wreck!

carseatfreak

Whew...glad I'm not the only one who forgot to buckle up in the infant seat. It was probably my first trip out with dd by myself and I took her to show her off at my work and the post office (very small town) and when I got home I was sick with guilt. It was about 7 miles and I could have died!

bekah

I forgot to buckle my son twice! Once when he was about 2 months old. I took him into the store in the infant carrier. Took him out to hold him as we shopped, put him back in (with one of those light weight bundle me things, so I couldn't even see the straps) got home and realized he was unbuckled! But the worst time was after my dd was born. I went to the store with both kids. I must have been so sleep deprived because I forgot to buckle my son in and he just sat there nicely until we got home and then hopped right out of his seat! I about died! Luckily it was just 1 mile away.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I gotta say, the chest clips at chest level are nice to see...the only early pic I have of my DS, you can tell the chest clip is too low if you look hard (it's bad, I won't bother posting it, lol).

cryswilkins

Oh I can join you on this!

Here is my DD coming home in her infant seat:

DSC03096.jpg

Lovely after market headrest, belly clip, harness not as tight as it should have been. She was so little that the harness covers made it so I couldn't get the chest clip up any higher, common sense didn't hit me that maybe we could take them off, lol.

bethng

here is my now 15 yo dd in her first car seat.

In the front seat (no airbag thank god)
t-shield
harness straps abover her shoulders, twisted and loose
after market cover
have no idea where the seatbelt was threaded through, but it wasnt tight!
chest clip? cant see it

At least she was rear facing! I did one thing right! lol

firstcarseat.jpg

my2kidsSafe

Here is my son on xmas eve at 5 days old. Check out all the after market products i had on him. I gotta say though that i did take that he was lucky he was so big, i had to take the snuzzler out. I couldn't get as good of a fit as a liked.

Picture002-2.jpg

MomToEliEm

Here is my DD#1 born in 2002, prior to me learning much about carseats. There are a couple things that I wasn't doing correctly.

I was using a 3rd party head support thing. I was using a rolled up blanket around the head support thing, but probably I should have just used two sets of blankets instead.

She was only 4 pounds 14 onces in this picture and the seat is rated for 5 pounds and up (she was 1 week old in this picture taken as she was leaving the hospital). She seemed to fit okay though so I doubt it was too bad for me to use the seat.

The chest clip may be a little high, but it might also be the angle of the picture.

E1.jpg

ok heres some to add....
my niece (i have permission)...what you kid shouldn't be able to eat the harness
sortthrough1087.jpg
[/IMG]
my youngest daughter....before i found this board i she is twoweeks in this picture
2007-1354.jpg
you helped me fix her...see all better
misc614.jpg

my youngest cousin ( i have permission again)
l_f4f6a16780fb0e539ddc21b4d49ee95e.jpg

Stretchy Glue

Oh girl I'm there with ya..look at my dd when I brought her home from the hospital...FF mind you!!

I took this exact same seat away from a grandma last year. It was used for her dd, her granddaughter's MOTHER, and about 6 other kids and was still in practically new condition. I sent her away with a new Scenera and kept this one for our historical display!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC