Would you put a newborn in the 3rd row?

Kristy00

I am having a horrible time figuring out where I can put the kids seats so I can have easy access to do them all up, and easy access to get everyone in and out.

I have:
A 40lb DS FF in a Graco Platinum Cargo (harnesses to 48lbs in Canada)
A 23lb DD RF in a Graco Comfortsport (she is short and still has about 2-3 inches of growing room)
I will have a newborn(NB) RF in a Graco Safeseat.

Long story short :p, I am considering either putting the NB RF in the 3rd row and put DS and DD in the captain's chairs, or putting DS and the NB in the 3rd row (DS would be in the middle, NB outboard), DD in a captain's chair and removing the 2nd captain's chair.

Would you put a newborn in the 3rd row? Somehow that just doesn't seem right to me, but I don't know what else to do.

Here's what I have tried/been thinking:

Because I am in Canada, I have to use rear tethers when FF. My van only has tethers for the 2 captain's chairs and the middle 3rd row position. So DS has to go in one of those spots.

If I put DD and the new baby in the 2 captain's chairs, I will have to go in the front passenger side and walk down the middle of the van all the way to the back to do up DS.

If I turn DD FF in a captain's chair, I can climb in over her seat to do up DS in the 3rd row back. She is still small, so I would like to keep her RF if possible.

I tried to put DD's seat RF in the back, but I had a horrible time trying to buckle her up. (Basically had to do it upside down, and I couldn't reach the strap adjustment) She also had a fit because she couldn't see anyone else in the vehicle. (I do feel bad, how would you like having to face a wall at a party full of people? ;) ) I honestly don't know if this would be an option.

Any thoughts?

ADS

arly1983

Long story short :p, I am considering either putting the NB RF in the 3rd row and put DS and DD in the captain's chairs, or putting DS and the NB in the 3rd row (DS would be in the middle, NB outboard), DD in a captain's chair and removing the 2nd captain's chair.

Would you put a newborn in the 3rd row? Somehow that just doesn't seem right to me, but I don't know what else to do.

I will be doing this (bolded) in February when the new baby gets here.

I can't figure out another way where everyone has tether anchor and is easy to access.

Even though it doesn't seem right, there is no way I would be reaching back to the 2nd row to tend to the baby while driving. It would be too dangerous so why not have him/her in the third with my DD beside her to at least hand her a pacifier or toy.

Kristy00

I will be doing this (bolded) in February when the new baby gets here.

I can't figure out another way where everyone has tether anchor and is easy to access.

Even though it doesn't seem right, there is no way I would be reaching back to the 2nd row to tend to the baby while driving. It would be too dangerous so why not have him/her in the third with my DD beside her to at least hand her a pacifier or toy.

I was thinking that would be a benefit. DS is very good with DD, and I am sure he will be the same with the new baby and will be more than willing to help.

CrabbyBunchX3

yes, I would and I have.
When my 3rd was born I put her in the 3rd row because my 2 older children are FF and I have yet to get tether anchors installed for the 3rd row of our van.
I always put her in through the rear :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Removing 1 of the middle row chairs can make life much easier :)

My 2005 Ford Freestar had a middle row bench that could be slid forward: only if the carseat were installed in the center with LATCH -- this rendered both outboard seatbelts useless as it was a 2 seater bench (the manual explained this in greater detail)

So, when DD's older half sister's new baby sister was born & I got to babysit, my kid rode in a Recaro Young Sport in the center of the middle row slid forward with newborn in SS1 + big sis in Husky both outboard of 3rd row....

AllieCanada

I am having the same dilemma come December. I live in Canada too and the only 2 retrofitted tether anchors I can get for my van (2000 Mazda MPV) are for the second row captain seats. I don't have an option for tethers in the 3rd row (or I would put DS back there) and seeing as how DS is already FF'ing and DD will be in the future (whenever she reaches 30 lbs as that is what her seat goes to) they have to go in the second row. I don't like the idea of the baby in the third row but I don't have any other options since getting a new van isn't one right now (I wish it was).

Kristy00

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had to consider this!! It makes me feel better about the plan, since anyone I've talked to about this IRL seems to think it is a horrible idea! They don't understand why I don't just put DD and DS forward facing in the 3rd row - I mean, DD does weigh over 20 lbs and is over a year and the rear tethers aren't really necessary. :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered

I have a Mazda 5 and have had my 3.5 and 2 year olds in the captain seats in the 2nd row, and the newborn in the 3rd row for 6 months because my Radians are incomaptible with my 3rd row. It's worked fine... I feel bad that I can't comfort him when he cries, but if you'll have another child beside the baby then maybe that will help.

diaperjoys

We took out one section of our second row bench seat when we had a Pontiac Montana and 3 kids to buckle. It was wonderful. It created a big chunk of floor space, which was fantastic for diaper changes, etc. Also, when it was pouring down rain I could have everyone jump in the car, and then I jumped in behind them and closed the door, and we buckled at a sane pace while everyone stayed dry.

I don't think the new baby will mind being back there. :)

fyrfightermomma

This post was timed perfectly. I was freaking out about this also last night.

By the time our 3rd comes, DD2 will still be RFing. And DD1 won't be able to buckle her own seat. There is no way I can climb over two RFing seats to get to the 3rd row. So that means one RFing kiddos as to be back there. I don't want to lug a bucket back there (rather just have a kid climb back there) so it would be DD2.

But then I started just thinking of putting two in the 3rd row. My only concern....I LOVE the back cargo space. Right now I have stow n go so I have a nice big deep well where I put groceries,shopping etc. The stroller fits back there. I only have to raise half of it to put a seat there so I'd still have storage room. However, if I put the whole 3rd row up I lose tons of cargo space. The stroller would pretty much be it. And I can't imagine groceries rolling around in the front area.

How do you guys deal with that??

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Can I just take this moment to say that I think it's ridiculous that a country can mandate that you top tether your seats and then not mandate that manufacturers put top tethers in all passenger seating positions? :twocents:

fyrfightermomma

Can I just take this moment to say that I think it's ridiculous that a country can mandate that you top tether your seats and then not mandate that manufacturers put top tethers in all passenger seating positions? :twocents:

That's what I was thinking as well. Everyone talking about how they MUST put their FFing kids in a certain location because they only have 2 top tethers and more can't be added. What do you guys do when you have 3 FFing kids? Do they make you buy a new car?

If they want to mandate it they need to require cars to also follow suit, or atleast be able to install aftermarket ones.

christineka

My last baby sat and still sits in the third row. The next will sit back there too. We have tether anchors for the middle row only and the strap gets in anyones way in the back, so it makes the most sense to put the rfing seats over the tether straps and no one has to straddle in the van.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician

That's what I was thinking as well. Everyone talking about how they MUST put their FFing kids in a certain location because they only have 2 top tethers and more can't be added. What do you guys do when you have 3 FFing kids?

I will take this moment to totally agree with both of you! I do believe all cars are required to have at least *3* top tethers though, but they're not always in the most convenient locations. I think a lot of parents either ignore the rule, connect two tethers to one hook (or hook to something not meant for tethers) :eek:, or prematurely move their kids to boosters to avoid the whole situation. :thumbsdown: There should be no way it's acceptable to have a 7 or more passenger vehicle that only has 3 top tethers (but sadly, that's the case. :rolleyes:)

Maedze

Why can't we have regulation requiring a top tether anchor for every rear seating position :(

Kids ride in the back for the most part. Very few people buy say, minivans, for the purpose of hauling around 7 thirty year olds.

Morganthe

I would, but only if I put a mirror on the seat to see the baby just for his/her well being. Also to hopefully prevent leaving her in the vehicle, especially if the non-primary caregiver is driving.

It's one of those "OH, I never would do something like that." But it happens enough with tragic results to try to implement some sort of safeguard.

christineka

I forgot to mention that I had an older kid sitting next to baby who could wipe his spitup and generally make sure he was okay. But, you'd have the unattended baby in the back if it was your first anyway.

Shanora

Her van in a 2000....when did the top tething rule come into play here in Canada? I think it was later than 2000 was it not? So that would explain WHY there are not Rear tether points. However that being said I have a 03 Windstar and there are 6 tether points, but the 04 freestar only has 4.....go figure. Friends of mine have a 09 van and it only has 3 tether points...Apparently parents are not allowed to have more than 3 kids that need to have car seats tethered.

I have a simmilar problem, except I have enough tether points, but one of my seatbelts in the back is rendered uselss cause there is a run in the belt, so once Liam hits 47 pounds I'll need to put the baby in the back, as I wont be able to use the Latch back there. So my plan right now is to take out one captain chair, and Have my oldest back there in his booster seat, my youngest FF latched in, and the baby in the remaining captain chair....

Although I may put baby in the back so that my oldest can attend to him/her, and out my 3 year old in the captain chair.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC