Tallest RF seat

CaliNanny

Is there a list of some sort anywhere that orders the RF seats from longest rf height to shortest?:thumbsup:

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am not sure that the list exists yet. That's a great idea, though!

As far as I know, the TrueFit is the tallest. I *think* the Comfort Sport might be the shortest.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I believe the TF is taller than the RN.

The max height is a source of much debate on this board. :fencing: Most of us believe in RF to the guideline of "one inch of shell above the head" instead of following a max height guideline because torsos and legs can vary so much.

For example, Michael Phelps (US swimmer) has an abnormally long torso and short legs, while Nastia Liukin (US gymnast) has a short torso and very long legs. At the same overall height (as children), Phelps would have outgrown a seat long before Liukin since Phelps' torso was so long. Liukin probably would have had much, much more time in a seat even though she reached the overall height limit.

CaliNanny

ah, i see your point. Im trying to help out a friend whos DD is 38.5 inches tall and im almost positive she has no more room RF but just wanted to be sure.

and a little OT: I :love: Nastya Liukin as a gymnast.

crunchierthanthou

ah, i see your point. Im trying to help out a friend whos DD is 38.5 inches tall and im almost positive she has no more room RF but just wanted to be sure.

What seat is she in? Ds still has a couple inches to go rf in the MA, and like I said before- it has one of the shortest shells of the HWH convertibles.

Here's a thread on judging whether a rf seat is outgrown by height. Like Patriot said, overall height limits are somewhat subjective.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
A RF Boulevard at 38.5 inches tall? Hmm... she definitely could be close, if not over, the RF limit for that seat.

It is hard to know, though. I am basing my opinion on my experience with my DNs in the Boulevard. My DNs are all long-torsoed, though, so my experience may not be generalizable. I know that my DN was too tall for a RF BV when she was 36", though. The top of her head was almost even with the top of the shell.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
ok that makes me almost sure she is outgrown it. what would you recomend for a good FF combo seat?

How old is the child?

I am fond of the Graco Nautilus. It is a great harnessed seat to 65 pounds. It isn't as great as a booster, but it isn't bad either. :)

crunchierthanthou

wow. 38.5" at age 5? she's tiny.

ok that makes me almost sure she is outgrown it. what would you recomend for a good FF combo seat?

seats aren't outgrown at the same time ff as rf. Even if she is too tall to rf, she can almost certainly still use if ff. It is outgrown ff by height when her shoulders are above the top harness position or the tops of her ears are even with the top of the shell.

CaliNanny

yes, she is a teeny peanut. They are looking for a seat that maybe isnt so high off the seat, unless there is something safer about a high seat that i could tell her?

Last edited:

emandbri

Here are some measurements but newer seats aren't on here.

(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

the comfort sport is actually pretty tall. In older ones with shorter top slots there were kids who could fit in it rear-facing but shoulders would be over the top slots forward facing! :whistle: The top slots are now higher than they were.

On this list the regular triumpth is the shortest.

CaliNanny

thanks for the list it was helpful. what is a good ff seat that would last a a long while? it dosnt necessarily have to be a booster convert, im sure the'll want the latest and greatest when that happens. can anyone chime in on the high ff seat thing?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The tallest (I think!) slots on FF-only seats are on the Britax Regent and the Graco Nautilus. :)

The Evenflo Triumph Advance, Compass/First Years TrueFit, and Sunshine Kids Radian all have tall top slots too. All of these seats are convertibles. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC