What do you think about what safety 1st told me?

startrace96

I have a post on here somewhere about my dd carseat leaving marks on her leg. Well I took your advice and she's not crying or acts like it hers her and also the EFTA leaves the same one...But anyway safety 1st told me to email pics. here are the pics i sent them.
If you can tell I'm pulling on the strap to show them how loose the harness is and here is the email I got from them.......

"The photos submitted indicates that the restraint straps may be tightened a bit too much. In addition the crotch assembly needs to moved out to the furthest slot away from your child. When securing your child in the restraint you should be able to place two fingers between your child and the straps. Based on the photos it doesn’t appear that, that can be accomplished because of the tightness of the harnesses at the shoulders and at the thighs. "

Does it look to you like I can put 2 fingers at the shoulders? Which I actually have her tighter now, I just wanted to show them or I thought that I did not have her too tight. I just wondered if they'd every told anyone else they have their child "too tight". Is it possible to have them too tight? My DH tells me all time that I have DD too tight, but is that possible?

ADS

startrace96

oh Yeah like I said before I have her tigher than this pic. Is it really possible that I have her too tight? If so I'll loosen her straps a little.

HEVY

You could fit more than two fingers there. But I had the same problem with my Summit HHB, I was concerned with the straps digging in the thighs like that, that's when I learned that a lap belt was supposed to lie that way. But they never told me the harness was too loose or tight. But from what I can see in the pic maybe the crotch strap can be moved up, it looks like the slot is right there while the one you're using is under her. It might help the slant on the lap portion to lie flatter on her thigh.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Too tight is when the kid is in pain or unable to breath deeply. Tight enough means you cannot pinch a horizontal crease at the collar bone. (We don't use any finger rule anymore)

Am I missing something, though? I don't see any marks on her skin :confused: The harness straps seem to me to be where they're supposed to be.

I always just pulled on my kid's outfit to stick out so the harness wasn't touching bare skin. My kid would sometimes cry that she couldn't breath deeply :eek: but she never got any red marks.

startrace96

Yeah they told me on the phone to move the crotch strap, but the manual says RF it has to be in the one next to her. I guess I need to get the manual and read it again and make sure. I asked them about that and they really didnt answer why the book said that, and they were telling me to move it. They just said move it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If/when customer goes against the manual, ask for a supervisor. They really don't want the potential of liability & should be aware for the sake of other families when their employees are giving out incorrect advice, especially if they cannot explain why they're making the recommendation.

Generally speaking, we do want to use the crotch strap closer to the body (just not behind her bottom).

Still, I'm confused as to exactly what the problem is if kiddo isn't complaining & I don't see any redness :confused:

startrace96

Sorry I guess I didnt explain all of it. I'm ok with the leg issue now. She had chunky legs. It does not bother her at all. I was just wondering since they told me she was too tight, if it was possible to have her too tight, she does not complain. IMO the pic I posted her that I sent safety 1st she's not tight enough.
Thanks

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I agree. She isn't tight enough. You shouldn't be able to pitch webbing at the shoulders. The two finger rule is old.

startrace96

OK...Thanks!!! Thats what I thought. The way she was in the pics I could pinch probably an inch or a little over. Now I cant pinch up any. I thought that was the rule now....Just wanted to make sure....:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC