Best airline to fly with car seats

monstah

With all these threads about flying, etc. made me think....

Are there any airlines known to be great at accommodating car seats? Or any that must be avoided?
Or is it just a "hit or miss" with what flight staff you get??

ADS

bubbaray

Personally, I wouldn't fly Air France or Alitalia or Quantas. I've heard that none of them will let you have a child in a restraint for takeoff & landing, even if you purchase a seat for them.

Some of the regional carriers in the US seem to have strange rules, or uneducated FAs. We've had good experience with Canadian airlines (though we avoid Air Canada for other reasons, so haven't flown on them with restraints).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
American carriers are pretty good. European ones don't allow rear facing seats, seats for kids under six months, or seats for kids over three. But here it's pretty hit or miss.

Wendy

LuvMyCharlie

I think it's hit or miss. I was scared to death before our trip a few months ago, because I read about several people having trouble with AirTran. We had no problems, though, not even RF. All they asked was to see the FAA approval sticker on our seat when we boarded.

Adventuredad

Unfortunately I think it's a bit hit or miss. It's not true that all European airlines don't allow rf car seats though. I know that SAS and Lufthansa does. Car seat 0-6 months is also fine although they prefer lapbabies. They also offer carry-cots which hangs from the wall/ceiling which is great on night flights. I know this is not as safe as car set but it's very convenient.

British Airways are good with kids but don't allow rf seats as far as I know. They do offer some complimentary Britax seats (sorry don't know model) on the plane for free if you request it. Think this is a nice service. Malaysia Airlines are great with kids. We've had some incredible flights with them. The past few years I've flown little with American airlines in general but I've always found them to be pretty good. Experience is a bit hit or miss though which is nothing different than other airlines.

Some European airlines don't allow car seats at all. Usually low price airlines which fly short routes and are dependent on quick turnaround times.

I've heard Quantas DO allow car seats and their site says the same. Alitalia aren't exactly know for their good service IMHO.

bubbaray

jka1217

I've flown around the continental U.S. on Alaska, United and American, 1 one-way with connection, 2 roundtrips with connections. Not once have I been asked to see the sticker. One flight, the flight attendant shook the seat to make sure it was secure. Otherwise, I've had no problems with flight attendants. I think it's really hit or miss.

Adventuredad

Only if you get the seat pre-approved and then, its hit or miss if they will allow it. I know someone IRL who was unable to get a Britax seat pre-approved, even by showing up as instructed 24 hrs in advance, and by paying for a seat. They ended up paying for a seat and being unable to use it.

http://qantas.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/qantas.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=295

That sounds like a very frustrating experience. One would think large airlines would have standard procedures regarding this. I've got friends who used the seat and not even sure they pre-approved it. I guess hit or miss sums this up nicely.

momtoirs

We flew Sun Country in May with DS (3 1/2) and his Nautilus. Flying out of MSP with their staff, we were allowed to pre-board. Flying out of JFK with someone else (not Sun Country staff) working their gate, they wouldn't let us pre-board. We have friends who have flown Sun Country repeatedly over the last year for Retinoblastoma (cancer) treatment for their DD (6 months older than our DS) and they have talked very positively about flying with their DD (who is visually impaired and sometimes totally blind) and her Marathon.

Tina

Tammyfh

We've done Alaska, American, and Continental in the US all were great about the car seat, but most FA were clueless and wouldn't be able to help with an install. They were all great with the baby though and would offer as much help as they could.

Air Canada was also fine with the seat, but the new stroller policy is a giant pain. We don't get a lot of choice on airline when we fly to see DH's family so we have to deal with whatever they seem to come up with.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We fly WestJet a *lot*, and have never had a problem using carseats with them. They usually don't question us at all - not to see the sticker, or to see that it's secure. When we flew them with DS as a lap baby :)o) we were able to make great use of their "infant standby" policy. They would issue a boarding pass and let you use your seat onboard for non-stop direct flights if there was space available. (It did sometimes take ages at the counter though. All desk personnel we ran into knew about the policy, but not all were familiar enough with it to check us in quickly.)

We've had extremely minor inconveniences with carseats on Air Canada. Generally, they've been good as well (but you can tell they're not as familiar with carseats as WestJet personnel are.)

Dillipop

I haven't had any problems with Southwest, even though I was questioned almost every flight this past time.

First leg- FA asked if I should turn the seat around- Me?- I guess I could, but he is small enough to sit rfing and this is how he sits in the car- she let it go.

Second leg- FA told me the radian should go in the overhead bin. I asked why and showed her the FAA sticker. She thought it was a booster and didn't see the straps. All was good.

First leg coming home- FA sat and watched me struggle to get the seats in and had the audacity to tell me that "others" used their seats ffing and shouldn't I uninstall the seat and put it that way? I said this is how he sits in the car and she let it go, while giving me the evil eye.

Fourth leg- no comments from anyone.

NVMBR02

We flew Sun Country in May with DS (3 1/2) and his Nautilus. Flying out of MSP with their staff, we were allowed to pre-board. Flying out of JFK with someone else (not Sun Country staff) working their gate, they wouldn't let us pre-board. We have friends who have flown Sun Country repeatedly over the last year for Retinoblastoma (cancer) treatment for their DD (6 months older than our DS) and they have talked very positively about flying with their DD (who is visually impaired and sometimes totally blind) and her Marathon.

Tina

I have also had great experiences with Sun Country. When I travel with both the kids myself they often ask several times if I need help and often a FA will help me with getting the seats and the kids in the correct places. I have also had good luck with Frontier airlines, though since they are not based at MSP they usually aren't a non-stop flight. This requires us tode board with the carseats then re board but they and Suncountry have always allowed us to preboard with the carseats.

We have had bad luck with Northwest, not only with carseats but other issues as well. Plus Dh hates dealing with them at work so we avoid Northwest as much as we can.

Next month we are flying on United for the first time. When I called for our seat resevations the person on the line was very helpful when I explained I had 2 kids in carseats and wanted the 4 of us as close as possible. She aranged for one kid to be by the window, one in the middle and dh and I on the aisles on all 4 legs of the flights. We will keep our fingers crossed it is that easy.

jb5416

Hawaiian would not let me use my MA rf for my 17 month-old (big boy--looks like he's 2.5 or so). They were fine with FF and I felt ok with that too, even though he rides RF in the car. They did check the stickers on both seats (I had a Radian for my 6 y.o.) each time. They were not very helpful--while boarding I ended up with the MA stuck between the first-class seats sideways, holding my baby as well as a backpack, diaper bag, and another carryon. I had to go back, deposit my son and the bags on our seats, and then come back and un-stick the MA so other people could board. I was a little steamed, especially considering Hawaiian's claims of excellent service and aloha.
Jessie

mom2juliarose

I've flown throughout the US on Continental, Delta, US Air, and Northwest with DD since she was born (now 4) and have never had an issue with any airline. A Delta FA did ask me to show her the sticker saying my MA was FAA approved.

Internationally we've flown Varig, as well as LAN Peru, and never had an issue using our MA on any of those flights, either.

Brendan's Mom

We have flown Southwest a bunch of times and never had a problem or have been questioned about our seats RF or FF. Northwest was a headache, not about the carseat, but booked my 2 year old 4 rows ahead of me and wouldn't change seat assignment. Good Luck

bekah

Almost every airline we've been on recently has NOT let us pre-board, even with two kids and two car seats to install. With my son they all let me pre-board but about a year to fifteen months ago I saw a big change, most of the airlines stopped letting people with young children pre-board. Then they have to wait while I install my seat but that's their choice.

Anyway, the most friendly and seat that fit the car seats best, Midwest airlines. The least friendly was United.

monstah

We have flown Southwest a bunch of times and never had a problem or have been questioned about our seats RF or FF. Northwest was a headache, not about the carseat, but booked my 2 year old 4 rows ahead of me and wouldn't change seat assignment. Good Luck

What happened???

a_js

We have flown Frontier with the carseat a few times. They gave us no hassles other than checking the sticker (which I don't really consider a hassle anyway) and once the FA even helped us install it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC