Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question seat belt location~ car in Japan

Hello!

We've just moved to Japan with the military and are getting settled. We need to buy a car, (one made for Japan, not the US) and I have a question about car-seat installations.

We have 3 children:
    DD1 5 1/2 years, 45 lbs, FF Radian
    DS 4 y.o. 42 lbs, FF Radian
    DD2 2 1/2 y.o., 26 lbs, RF in Marathon

I'm sure there are names for the various things I'm going to describe, but I don't know them! Hope I can make it clear.

One car we're looking at has the vehicle seat belt female part coming out of the seat in front of the spot where the seat meets the seat back, not coming out from between the seat and it's back, does that make sense?? Would this location impact safe installation of carseats in general, or out Radians or Marathon specifically?

THANKS in advance for your help!
    Tiffany

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Re: seat belt location~ car in Japan

Do you mean the seatbelt stalk or buckle is more forward and not exactly at the crease of the vehicle seat, like the picture here

instead of by the crease like this

Not the best pictures of the seatbelt stalks, but that`s all I have at the moment
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

YES! that's exactly correct. THANKS!

It looks like your first picture. In this car there is also a bit of plastic around the seat where the stalk comes out.

Will this make it hard to securely install our Radians or Marathon? I've always had rock-solid installs at home, and so don't want to buy a car here that will cause install problems.

THANKS!

~Tiffany

nak

it can make ff radian installs harder and occasionally impossible

take a radian with you and install in several places before you sign with seat belt!!
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT