Minimum age for FF?

NannyMom

I know the minimum is 1 year and 20 pounds. That's not what I'm asking. What is the minimum age you'd be comfortable having your child FF? I started thinking about this this afternoon. My DD is small and will probobly RF until she's 6. But my Friend's DD is 18 months (or almost) and is 29 pounds. Will she make it to 2 years before she hits 35 pounds? Then I started thinking about a former neighbor who had a 2 year old that was 40 pounds :eek: Can you really import a carseat for a child over 35 pounds? Or do they say...he's over a year, it's fine! :confused:

I don't even know at what age I'd be comfortable with my DD FF. I guess I'll have to talk to my Neurosurgeon boss about the bones ossifying and stuff.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm comfortable with two. If a kiddo hits 35 much before that, there's not much you can do, but that is fairly uncommon (33 is 'average' for a 3 yo boy, anyway). One thing to stress to parents when they FF is that they use the top tether anchor. That does a tremendous job reducing head and neck injuries. A seat with good side impact protection is also a wise choice, since side impacts are the most deadly to FF kids. I wouldn't import a seat, I don't think. 35 pounds is adequate to get 99.9999 percent of kids to age one, and FF and top tethered is really pretty safe in a properly used seat (not that most seats are used properly, but that's a whole other rant, lol).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not turn a child who still fit RF before age 3 (barring exceptional circumstances), but I would not try to import a seat for a 35+-pound child if the child was over 1.

fyrfightermomma

I agree with two. My children no matter what will not forward face before age 2 (however they are below the weight limit). After 2, its a case by case thing. In the main car they remain RFing, however occasional FFing in others car is fine with me.

So to answer your questions, for me it's two. However, if they hit the weight limit before age 2, theres absolutely nothing you can do about it, and you just have to remember to tether tightly FFing.

I would not import a seat for a child who is over 35 lbs over the age of about 18 months. It's so rare to even have a child that size. Most kids after about 18 months really slim down and slow down the weight gain.

My chunker I was sure would be 33 lbs by 18 months. She was 20 lbs at 4 months and 25 lbs by 6 months. However at 17 months she is still 25 lbs :)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd have loved to get my kids to 3 rear facing, but they both outgrew the rear facing weight limits around 2.5 years.

I'd love to see every kid make it to 2 rear facing, 2 AND 30 would be even better, but unrealistic.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd have loved to get my kids to 3 rear facing, but they both outgrew the rear facing weight limits around 2.5 years.

I'd love to see every kid make it to 2 rear facing, 2 AND 30 would be even better, but unrealistic.

I think 2 or 30 is pretty realistic and easy to remember, though :)

emars002

My chunker I was sure would be 33 lbs by 18 months. She was 20 lbs at 4 months and 25 lbs by 6 months. However at 17 months she is still 25 lbs :)

You're 2 girls remind me of my two:)

For the OP, DD2 was 30 lbs at her 15 month check up - i thought for sure she was going to hit 35 and i was dreading her 18 month check up last week - to my surprise (b/c she looks the same to me) she is now 26.7 lbs - so most do slow down...and DD2 is a chunker - I will be very happy to get to age 2:) After that when she hits 35 I will be sad, not b/c i will feel shes not safe but more b/c i feel like when she turns FF, she isn't a baby anymore:(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'll say 2 or 35 as soon as the last few lame little seats are off the market. It's all about the seats on the market, really (1 or 20 because nothing went above 20, etc...).

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I must not know see enough kids b/c I don't know many kids who have hit 30# before 2. Even AJ was who was always 75%+ was 29# at his 2yr appt, he stayed rfing till 34 mos when he hit 34# and got too tall for the Cosco seats. Sure, it happens, but I don't see it as a common thing. For each baby, the time I'm comfortable w/ them being ffing is longer and longer. Ilana is 21 mos and has never ridden ffing, the boys both had been ffing at least a trip or 2 by now (AJ was ffing at 11 mos). After 2, if she needs to be ffing (like in the pickup), I'll be more comfortable w/ it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My kid was 4 when she finally turned FF forever. I let her ride FF in other vehicles before then, so long as I could top tether it. I shoot for super safest practice in my own vehicle, but I wouldn't force other people to become uncomfortable (let alone unsafe) in their own vehicle so that my 4 year old could ride RF.

If a 1 year old is 40 pounds, then FF is safer than riding RF beyond the limits. Just top tether it. NHTSA is only going to approve a foreign seat for a 40 pound 1 year old it the child has some sort of diagnosed special needs like low bone density, etc. A foreign seat for a child who weighs 40# before 12 months old might be possibile & I would make the attempt to do so according to the rules.

If a 2+ year old is short & only 30 pounds, then I would try to encourage kiddo to appreciate RF, but I also wouldn't freak out if FF does just end up being a calmer ride. Sanity = safety, too.

NannyMom

I must not know see enough kids b/c I don't know many kids who have hit 30# before 2. Even AJ was who was always 75%+ was 29# at his 2yr appt, he stayed rfing till 34 mos when he hit 34# and got too tall for the Cosco seats. Sure, it happens, but I don't see it as a common thing. For each baby, the time I'm comfortable w/ them being ffing is longer and longer. Ilana is 21 mos and has never ridden ffing, the boys both had been ffing at least a trip or 2 by now (AJ was ffing at 11 mos). After 2, if she needs to be ffing (like in the pickup), I'll be more comfortable w/ it.

A former neighbor had a son that at age 2 was 40 pounds. SHe had bought a backless TB for him, and I was trying to tell her he at LEAST needed a HBTB. I didn't know as much then as I do now.... but I suggested she call the car seat lady and she reccomends either the Apex or Regent. She bought 2 Apex and took back the backless TB :)

I know a little girl I used to nanny for was 30+ pounds at 21 months. I also know when she was 3, she was put in a booster :( I don't have much contact and haven't seen them in awhile, but I've seen pics.

mamabear

Back before I knew better and discovered these boards, I turned DD1 right at 1yr and 22lbs.:eek:

DD2 I knew more and was able to RF her until about 21months. She was about 31-32lbs and our MA is a 33lb limit. We were so squished in our civic with her RF we just made the descision to do it.

Then I became carseat/car safety obsessed.

If I have another child I'd RF until the weight limit, hopefully past age 2.

On another note,I know someone with 2 kids.
One is 4 and could still be RF (prob right under 35lbs and not tall) but it's his SISTER I can't believe isn't still RF. She is a little over 2years old and is the size of a 1year old. I'd have to estimate maybe only 21-22lbsThe kids in this family are obviously small.
The other day at the park I asked the mom if she still RF and she replied "Oh, NO" and I was like "she totally could, for a long time... I always wish my kids still could, it's so much safer" Seeing if she'd bite on more discussion about it. She didn't

Later we walked to her car to say our goodbyes and both kids got buckled into FF MA's with loose harnesses and belly clips.

I waved goodbye just thinking to myself, "What a waste of a perfectly good carseat":thumbsdown:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I just checked the CDC growth chart (for boys) and 30 pounds at 2 years is in the 75th percentile, which means that 25% of all boys will be 30 pounds before 2 years.

To be fair, I checked the girls too, and 30 pounds at 2 years is in the 81stish percentile, so 19% of all girls will be 30 pounds before 2 years.

35 pounds at 12 months is SO far off the chart that it's going into the height part of the chart, seriously, insanely off the chart.

To average the boys & girls 22 out of every 100 kids couldn't meet the requirement of 30 pounds AND 2 years. Because 22 out of 100 kids will be 30 pounds before 24 months.

Mommy2Marcus

I would not turn a child before 2 NOW. However before I became as passionate as I am now I turned my DS FF at about 12 1/2 months. I only turned him then was b/c he had some severe cases of car sickness. However thanks to here & the board on IV I turned him back around.

I now want to RF him as long as possible, to the limits. However DH wants to turn him at 2, but that is NOT going to happen. I might agree to 3 though. So I would be completely comfortable with a FF child after 2 if I HAD to, but 3 if they still fit.

Adventuredad

I would never turn my child FF before 3.5, and I consider that early. Son was turned forward at around 4 years since he got too tall otherwise he would still be RF. (Disclaimer, I live in Sweden where rf until 4-5 is standard practice)

a_js

I think that many of us in the US simply have to turn the child before we're comfortable with it. DS was 33 lbs (the limit of his seat) at 20 months. I didn't WANT to turn him at all, but I did..

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I wouldn't turn a child long before two (unless I had to because of weight/height), but I prefer to see kids RF longer than that. I turned DN at just barely under 24 months.

U

Unregistered1

Two. My own children will most likely RF as long as possible and I like to see them RF to the limits, but two is my benchmark point that I really like to see everyone get to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC