Question Am I Being too Neurotic?

flick37

Hi,

This is my first post on car-seat.org!

We have a graco snugride from when my DD was an infant. We are expecting again in March, but I have been thinking what if the seat is no longer safe. It has never been in an accident, but it has been in storage for awhile, with the seat in the base with the handle up. DH has piled stuff on top of it (can't recall how heavy it was) and my nephew (50lbs) and his friend (over 80lbs) were playing around it in the basement and I am not sure if they were leaning on it and rocking, etc. I also noticed on the base that there are a couple of white "stress" marks on the gray plastic. Well, I think they are stress marks, but am not sure.

I have already been thinking of getting a new infant seat, perhaps one that is lighter, but I wonder if this one will be safe for our second vehicle?

Is there any way you can get your carseat checked over to check to see if it is still safe? I live in BC, Canada.

or, am I just being extremely paranoid? I have that tendency when it comes to carseats :eek:

thanks!

ADS

Rosey

Obviously, I have not seen the 'stress marks' you are speaking of, but I would use the seat. I don't think the storage is an issue. But the most important thing is for YOU to be comfortable. Buy a new seat if that is what it takes........you will get plenty of approval (and encouragement) here! I developed a car seat shopping problem after joining ;)

The seat doesn't expire for another 4 years. I think using it as your back up seat is the best idea. The seat is designed for 22lbs, and I put a LOT of weight in the seats when I install them, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

flick37

The seat is designed for 22lbs, and I put a LOT of weight in the seats when I install them, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

that is a very good point!

here are some pics of the white "stress" marks on the base:

IMG_1585.jpg

this one isn't all that clear, but it about halfway down the side of the base

IMG_1587.jpg

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Can you lift the cover and check the plastic on the seat as well as the plastic on the base around the seatbelt or UAS routing cavity? Those do look like 'stress' marks from what I can see.

snowbird25ca

The first one looks like a spot from the molding process to me that quite likely has been there to some degree all along.

I agree that the 2nd one looks like a stress mark though given that I think it's directly below where the handle is on the seat itself - the area that would've had the most pressure transferred down to the base.

I think checking the belt path area, and also pulling the cover off the carseat to see if there are additional stress marks on it may paint a clearer picture. I wouldn't worry about a seat having been in storage normally provided it's not gotten moldy or something, but the seat having things placed on top of it that could've affected the integrity of the plastic is somewhat worrisome.. If you see stress marks elsewhere I'd probably be inclined to replace. If not, maybe that one area was just a fluke and something was pushing into the side of the base.

flick37

Okay, I have taken more pics.

I think that the cause of this is because I insisted that there was no movement at all of the base and made DH install it incredibly tightly. Also, when I was on holidays once, I had to install the bucket without the base, and each time I put it in the car, I pulled as hard as I could, and usually tried installing it at least twice each time before I was satisfied. However, I didn't think tight installation could compromise a carseat. Can it?

eta: i am not sure why some of the pics are so huge...I resized them all the same ??

This one is of the base:

IMG_1596.jpg

Another of the base:

IMG_1597.jpg

Where the seatbelt goes on the bucket part...only used by me when I was on holidays once and didn't bring the base. DH also used it to help me practice installing it.

IMG_1601.jpg

Bucket:

IMG_1602.jpg

Back of the bucket by the release lever thing:

IMG_1604.jpg

snowbird25ca

In all honesty, I wouldn't be comfortable using the seat given the stress marks near the belt guides on the seat, and some apparent stress marks on the base near the belt path as well. If I was to speculate about the base, I don't think the marks are sufficient or in locations that could cause seat failure. BUT, it's not a chance I'd be willing to take. The belt guides on the bucket could be dealt with by just always installing with the base, but when you look at the big picture & just the sheer # of stress marks that appeared while it was in storage - combined with things being stacked on top or against it, I just would not be comfortable using it.

hipmaman

That's quite a few marks then. But overall, I would say it's on the risky side to use the seat as is with this base.

Someone suggested to buy a new base. It might be alright if and only if the seat itself is fine around the area where it is attached to the base and you would only use the seat with the new base. Check there next and also check the whole seat more thoroughly to see if there are anymore.

bubbaray

I wouldn't use that base. Not sure if I'd use the seat with another base, I'd probably call Graco and ask about that.

You could always use the seat without the base completely and just install with belts. Bit of a PITA for daily use, though.

FWIW, I have a SnugRide from 2004 and there are no marks at all on the base.

flick37

I have decided to not use this seat again, with or without the base. I have a Valco Baby stroller that the seat fits into, so will use it for that when needed.

I am concerned about the all the marks, considering how gently I cared for the seat. Do you think this could have happened from installing it too tightly? I am not sure if it occurred in storage, even though DH put stuff on top of it, as I don't recall it being overly heavy. Then again, maybe it was heavy enough to exert pressure for an extended period of time?

skaterbabs

Those marks are pretty common with the SnugRide bases, the SR I had for my DD got them too. It's not really related to anything you did in my opinion.

Adventuredad

I agree with Skaterbabs. I used the SR as well and had similar marks. I handled the seat and the base as gently as a baby and didn't think the marks looked serious.:twocents:

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
If the stress marks are in a load bearing area - do not use it. If they are markings in the plastic and not in a load bearing area then it's cool. Your photos appear to be load bearing, so I wouldn't use it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC