How is car seat "height" determined?

vonfirmath

The Safeseat is supposed to have a "Height" of 32" as its limit.

And my baby is long in the torso, not the legs (He's growing into 18 months bodysuits and just got into 12 mo pants. The 18 mo are way too big).

Yet he is 31.5" long, total, and has quite a bit of room over his head in the seat, more than just 1/2" (And I thought he'd outgrow it before hitting the height because of the long torso thing)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think it's partially determined by growth chart heights, like that seat is labeled to fit 97% of kids to age one, so maybe that's the number on that part of the growth chart? Other seats go by the 22lb/29inch 1 year old crash test dummy. I don't know what Dorel is thinking with the 34 inch FF minimum limit on their convertibles, though...seems kind of random. Britax claimed the Marathon maxes of 65lbs and 49 inches were based on the 6 yo 90th percentile child (admittedly, I didn't whip out the CDC chart to double check them :whistle:). Of course overall standing height doesn't mean that much when kids are SO differently shaped...I'm sure some 29 inch long torsoed kids are too tall for the SS1, and some 34 inch leggy kids still fit (like Leah did...)

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC