have your carseats damaged your car?

I was just wondering what damage has been done to your car's seats from using carseats for a long time? We just bought a new car and would like to keep it in tip top shape. However, the carseats really dig into the car's seat. they are super plush and the carseats go DEEP down into them. I don't have any sort of seat protector on there right now and even wonder if one would do more harm than good. anyone have any pictures of what their seats looked like after removing the carseats? should I do the carseat shuffle periodically to keep the seats from getting destroyed? :confused:

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've been putting carseats in four vehicles over the past fourteen years, and never had one damage the vehicle seat. And I've always severely compressed the vehicle seats when installing my carseats. I never used seat protectors or put anything under the carseats.

Let's see...

'92 Eagle Summit, vinyl seats, infant and convertible carseats, including 3-across, and the vehicle seats looked normal when we sold it in '01.

'97 Chevy Astro, very cushy cloth seats, infant and convertible carseats, seats still look normal.

'01 VW Golf, cloth seats, convertible carseat, seats look normal except that there is a very slight indention at the front edge, where the seat splits at the 60/40 fold.

'07 Mazda5, cloth seats, convertibles, seats still look normal within a day or two of removing the carseat.

:thumbsup:

awesome. I was wondering if they would pop back or be permenantly indented. i've never had seats SO plushy. I mean, I got the seats in super rock solid tight and it compressed the seats several inches. LOTS of plush.

Mommy2Five

We've had 40+ carseats in our vehicles over the last decade, and never had any permanent damage... There is usually an indentation in the seat padding, but if you leave the seat empty for a few days it goes away.. :twocents:

Holly

The back of my Radian rubbed a little spot that is noticable on the side of the drivers seat. It was when my Radian was RFing in the center and the top was kind of resting inbetween the 2 front seats, but the drivers seat is further back than the passenger seat, so the Radian rubbed it a lot.
It's just a little spot, not bad at all.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have had some temporary damage (dents), but it all goes away when I take the seat out and leave it out for a few days.

I move my carseats around in my vehicle (and then have them checked by a tech), so that the same seat only stays in a location for a few months at a time.

ffpmcps

Like all PPs I have installed many seats in our various cars over the years. The only seat I have ever had an issue with was the Apex65. All other seats were no issue at all. Even with the Apex65 a towel seemed to do the trick.

Andrea

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ditto all of the above. I've never had any lasting marks/compression, though I've had some seatbelt creases. (No severing or fraying, though--so I don't think it's an issue. Heck, even that might go away after a while, but I haven't looked.)

NannyMom

I was recently thinking about this too. I have a new sienna and I really want to keep it in tip top shape, especially since it's my first brand new vehicle. Taking out Sofi's Titan I see indentations from where the seat rests, and I hope they're not permanent! I'm also seeing marks on the seat back from A's HBTB. I think I'll slip a t-shirt over the vehicle seat and that should take care of it.

But, my thinbking was.... If Sofi's in carseats for 10 years, that may be as long as we keep the vehicle. SO by the time she's out, we'll be getting a new car anyway.

Peony

We only buy cars with leather seats, and we have had some minor damage over the years but nothing serious. The biggest problem is that one of my MA's has a broken piece of plastic around the base, it was broke during shipping. Britax says it's fine, but that sharp piece has worn against the leather in some of our cars. And I just changed all my seats around on Thursday to let the seats in my Sienna "plump" back up again. I noticed that DD2's feet had stained the back of one of the captains chair, I scrubbed for a long time and couldn't get the stains out with leather cleaner or any other cleaner for that matter so I guess I need to put a shirt on the back of the captains chair now.

U

Unregistered1

My locking clips destroyed one of the seat belts in my 1990 Accord. The fact that the car is 19 years old coupled with me tightly installing seats with locking clips on a frequent basis caused it to fray right where the locking clip goes. I had it replaced... for $300.
But hey, what can you do?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No damage. In fact, I think the cloth in my Sienna's vehicle seats where various carseats have been used continuously for 3.5+ years looks better than the adjacent vehicle seats which haven't had a carseat installed on them long term. The carseats seem to have protected the vehicle seat cloth from a bit of fading and signs of wear and tear.

wendy1221

I have a Sienna we got 3 years ago. A few months ago I took all the seats out and used my Little Green Machine to clean all of the seats. here was a DEEP indentation where 2 Boulevards were. By the time I was done with all the seats, you could barely tell where the carseats had been. By the next day, after letting the eats dry before I reinstalled the seats, you couldn't tell at all. Without washing, I'm sure it would have taken longer, but the seats bounce back. :)

skaterbabs

I've been putting carseats in four vehicles over the past fourteen years, and never had one damage the vehicle seat. And I've always severely compressed the vehicle seats when installing my carseats. I never used seat protectors or put anything under the carseats.

:yeahthat:

Twelve years of carseats and I've NEVER had one damage a vehicle seat.

sunnymw

Buick Regal with leather seats--Boulevard installed, cheerios spilled, BV taken out to test drive other cars and put back in over where it was messy. Dirt rubbing caused small spot that won't wash off.

So, lesson is: clean the bottom of your seat and the vehicle seats before installing, LOL.

Otherwise, no damage anywhere :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC