Which seat lasts the longest? Comparison Pics...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
*Updated with Nautilus pics!* Pictures still taken in same vehicle (2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Swivel n' Go - Driver's side captains chair) and boys torso measurements have not changed.

We are constantly being asked which seat will last the longest and trying to measure slot height. Slot height is really subjective to how the seat actually fits *installed* in the vehicle *with* a child in it.

So today, I went out and installed the 5 (6 now with the Update ;)) most popular Canadian seats and used the same two models in the exact same vehicle position.

Here are the results...

From tallest to shortest...
1. Britax Frontier
2. Graco Nautilus
3. Sunshine Kids Radian
4 & 5. Compass/First Years TruFit & Evenflo Triumph Advance
6. Britax Marathon

Model #1
Aiden is 6.5 years old, 40lbs, 46.5" tall, with a 16.25" torso

Frontier... in top slots with about 1.5" to grow
2753683009_7c6027a7d3.jpg

Nautilus... in top slots with about 1" to grow
3161290510_b1d2bba91c.jpg

Radian... in top slots with about .75" to grow
2753683013_331c87e597.jpg

TruFit... just over top slots (outgrown)
2753683039_5f99698c24.jpg

Triumph Advance... just over top slots (outgrown)
2753683037_aaa50c7713.jpg

Marathon... over top slots (outgrown)
2753683031_09788b72d7.jpg

Model #2
Mikkel is 29lbs, 38.5", with a 13.75" torso.

Frontier... 4th notch from the top slots with at least 4" of growing room
2754483704_8e9360ec71.jpg

2754483710_c4428ce18a.jpg

Nautilus... even with 2nd from top slots with about 3.5" of growing room
3161290514_a73d1c177c.jpg

3161290516_d1e046f574.jpg

Radian... even with 2nd from top slots with about 3" of growing room
2754483716_f0d7e96ecd.jpg

TruFit... even with 2nd from top slots with about 2" of growing room
2754483740_54b1f55ca6.jpg

Triumph Advance... about 2" of growing room (to the top harness setting - slit in cover goes higher)
2754483734_ce56324cdb.jpg

Marathon... top slots with about 1.5" of growing room
2754483730_4f27e37e7d.jpg

Note: Some of the pictures are slightly misleading due to covers shifting/angle of picture/ect. I've included which slot they are on and how much growing room they have left so that you have a more accurate idea of how the seat really fits (rather than just going by picture alone).

To those who already saw the original post... sorry, just clued in that this probably would have been better as an article for easy finding later. :eek:

Last edited:
ADS

Citrine

Not that I need another car seat, but I am looking for one for my Aunt and Uncle for there grandson, and you did a great job. Thoes are the car seats I am looking at for them along with the britax boulevard. Thanks for the slot comparrisons in the seats along with the pictures.

jess71903

Ambassador
Thank you for this! I am surprised to see that the True Fit and ETA end up having higher slots functionally than the Marathon. Everything I've read says that they are shorter, but I am sure that's because until now, it has just been measurements of the seat, not a child in the seat.

emandbri

Thank you for this! I am surprised to see that the True Fit and ETA end up having higher slots functionally than the Marathon. Everything I've read says that they are shorter, but I am sure that's because until now, it has just been measurements of the seat, not a child in the seat.

I had the same issue with my old roundabout and fisher price safe embrace. Measuring the roundabout measured higher but Daniel fit in the safe embrace for 6 months after he was too tall for the roundabout.

cruciangal

And if you were to add the Boulevard to the mix, how would it compare? Does it have the same body, holes for harness straps, etc. as the Marathon?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I haven't tried the Boulevard in the vehicle, but in the store compared to the Marathon (in the store as well), the Marathon has more room... maybe 1/2 inch more? I'm guessing the Boulevard would have less room in the vehicle as well.

I didn't include the Boulevard in my list as it is a brand new *expensive* seat and was at a store across town from where I was. Since I know it has less room to grow than the Marathon, I didn't bother driving the half hour across the city. :eek:

L-and-A

thank you that was very helpful! do you know how they fit in the regent?? the frontier and regent are the 2 i am looking at

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
thank you that was very helpful! do you know how they fit in the regent?? the frontier and regent are the 2 i am looking at

Sorry... no Regent in Canada, so I can't add it to the comparison. :( I do know it's taller, I just don't know by how much.

I will add the Nautilus once it makes it to store shelves... just waiting.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Sorry... no Regent in Canada, so I can't add it to the comparison. :( I do know it's taller, I just don't know by how much.

I will add the Nautilus once it makes it to store shelves... just waiting.

thanks so much! I cant wait to see how the Gn compares......especially in comparison to the TF, which I think might be my new true love...LOL.

northernmommy

Just out of curiosity, what vehicle did you install the seats in? I'm wondering cause my oldest DD has a 16.25" torso and has about an inch left in the TF, but I know different vehicles affect the harness height. It'd be nice to know, so when I'm talking to parents I can have a bit of insight on how the seats might work in different vehicles...thanks!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
These are all in an '08 Grand Caravan with swivel n' go... driver's side captains chairs. I've included that info in the first post now and I've also updated with Nautilus pics... thanks to Toni who picked one up for us to play with. :D

NannyMom

That's interesting. Was the GN done at the same size? I thought the GN's top slots was slightly higher than that of the Frontier.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That's interesting. Was the GN done at the same size? I thought the GN's top slots was slightly higher than that of the Frontier.

The GN was done today... the other seats were done in August. I measured their torso's today and they have not changed at all since August.

So, short answer is yes, they were done at the same size. :)

I've seen a few different measurements of the GN and the one we had today does not measure 18" at all... neither does my Radian though. ;) I think it all depends on how the seat fits in the vehicle, which is why I did this comparison with all the seats installed in the same vehicle position.

Kat_Momof3

my nautilus measures at well over 18"... I think it's your Nautilus... one of the few freak ones we heard about after the first release, where they didn't have the 18" top slots and we were scared till the next round came out and were taller.

emandbri

That is VERY interesting! I was on set on the nautilus now you have me second guessing myself AGAIN! I find it SOOO fascinating how kids fit differently in seats then when you measure them. I'm not kidding that I measured the slots on my MA and radian and I got right under 17 for the marathon and right above 17 in the radian but when I put Benjamin in the seats he is very clearly about to outgrow the marathon but has at least and inch and a half in the radian! It makes NO sense at all! :confused:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I doubt the OP or anyone else in the U.S. or in Canada has a "freak" Nautilus and they're all essentially the same seat by design but certified for their respective countries. We need to remember that shoulder harness slot measurements taken by different parties are somewhat subjective, and that how the child fits in the seat when it's installed is the true measure. Splitting hairs over top slot harness height measurements isn't the ultimate test of a child's fit. How any given child fits is also somewhat variable because of things like the width of the child's shoulders, the vehicle seat's contouring, the vehicle's seatbelt or LATCH geometry, etc. What ultimately counts is how the child fits in the carseat, and shoulder harness slot measurements are only a part of the overall picture. :)

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
A big :yeahthat: to Jean. I highly doubt we have a freak Nautilus that measures differently. Especially considering that this is a brand new seat in Canada and they have been in the US for awhile now... there's no way we have one of the first made ones up here. ;)

I specifically did this comparison so people can see how the seats fit the same child in the same position... a much more accurate description of which seat really has higher top slots than just going by measurements and how they look in the store.

As always though, you need to try the seat in your vehicle, with your child, to determine the best seat for your needs. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC