2007 Dodge Caliber / Rear infant seat

acook2002

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber with Latch systems. I would really like to put my infant car seat in the center, but the seat belt is too flimzy. Can I use the inner latch teathers as long as they are not being used for the outer seats? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Acook2002

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Whether or not a center lower LATCH installation is allowed in your Caliber depends on the child restraint type and the child restraint's manufacturer. According to the LATCH manual, you're allowed to install in the center rear using the Caliber's innermost lower LATCH anchors in the vehicle seat crease (bight) from each outboard (side) position if the child restraint has flexible LATCH (a flexible, webbed LATCH connector strap or straps), and if the child restraint manufacturer also allows borrowing of the outboard lower LATCH anchors.

A child restraint with rigid LATCH, such as the Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat, for example, which has solid LATCH connector bars rather than a flexible LATCH connector strap or straps, cannot be installed with LATCH in the center in the Caliber. Some child restraint manufacturers do not allow borrowing outboard lower LATCH anchors even with flexible LATCH child restraints. Your infant seat's manual should indicate if borrowing is allowed, and sometimes this will be specified in the manual in terms of an allowed spacing between the lower anchors. You can also post back with your infant seat's manufacturer and model name for us to double check for you about borrowing outboard anchors. :)

On a related note, a lower LATCH anchor installation isn't considered safer than a seatbelt installation, or vice versa, provided that you can achieve a proper installation with less than 1 inch of movement at the child restraint's belt path using an approved installation method for the particular vehicle seating position. The LATCH system was originally conceived with the intention of simplifying installations in theory, but in practice that's not always the case. :)

Hope this rather long-winded answer helps you out.

acook2002

That information may help. I have the Graco Snugride infant seat with detachable base. I tried to install the seat in the center with the seat belt, but the seat was very unstable, and moved from side to side far to much. I would feel much safer if I could install the base in the center seat using the anchors.

Thanks for the help,
Acook2002

U

Unregistered

Hi There. I have a related question...am thinking of getting an 08 Dodge Caliber. I have a 22 month old in a forward facing Evenflo Triumph, and we are expecting another baby in the new year. Would we be able to fit the Triumph and a rear facing Graco Snugride (infant carrier/detachable base) in the backseat? Does anyone know?

cpsaddict

For the OP, my friend has a Caliber and had a Snugride. Her base would loosen up from time to time in the middle, even with a locking clip. According to her car seat manual, she could not use the outer LATCH anchors to install the seat in the middle. However, I thought I read somewhere that Graco was allowing non-standard spacing for their seats now. I will have to do a search.

You can fit two seats in the Caliber, but it's tight. My friend will have her 22mth(2 when the new one arrives) in a FF Britax Marathon on one side and the newborn in a Chicco Keyfit on the other side.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi There. I have a related question...am thinking of getting an 08 Dodge Caliber. I have a 22 month old in a forward facing Evenflo Triumph, and we are expecting another baby in the new year. Would we be able to fit the Triumph and a rear facing Graco Snugride (infant carrier/detachable base) in the backseat? Does anyone know?

Yes, you'll be able to fit them both, but not side by side unless the triumph puzzles better than the Titan...

I did a check for a friend who had a titan and a snugride, and it was really close to fitting the 2 side by side, but not close enough. With them being outboard though it should be no difficulty at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC