Anyone a Fertility Friend member?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
On the pgcy side? There is a carseat post on the mom's general chat and I'm sure I'll need backup. lol Someone posted a stupid article about seatbelts safe at 2 (I'm assuming it's the Freakanomics guy;s study) and that after 3' seatbelts alone are safe. Ugh! Thankfully the mom who posted is ignoring her and looking into a Regent, but still, I can't believe that some people believe this. The mom who wrote this has her 30# child in a booster already. I just looked though, and at least he's 4, but still, he's a short 4 so would easily fit in a harnessed seat.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Thanks, I forgot they had written that. I posted it. The other mom has yet to write back, she's probably mad at me. lol

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Eh, keep at it ... I felt the same way for a while at the American Pregnancy Association forums -- eventually, people started PM'ing me like crazy & posting public threads to thank me for providing all the links I kept spewing out & convincing so many of them to visit CPSTechs (of course no one's carseat was correct before) :eek: :) :D

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
To date, no one has really proven the Freakonomics findings incorrect, at least on the basis of fatalities. There does seem to be some contradicting information regarding injuries, however.

Simply saying that seatbelts are safe for kids 2 and over is the wrong conclusion either way. On the other hand, it's quite possible that the ease of using seatbelts does make up for the frequent misuse of child restraints for many parents, at least in terms of fatalties.

I still have no doubt that a properly installed and used child restraint is safer than a seatbelt alone. The problem is apparently that most child restraints aren't properly installed and used. For those who do make sure they are installing and using it right, it is still the best choice.

What we do know for sure is that the biggest reduction in fatalties is to have your kids restrained. Unrestrained children are still the majority of those who are killed in motor vehicle crashes.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, yep - deaths happen from improperly used carseats & from not using a carseat ... but many more injuries happen than deaths -- either way, hopefully everyone will at least follow their state's laws & always get their carseats checked! :eek: :) I just find it infuriating that Freakonomics doesn't include the INJURIES & doesn't encourage people to get their seats checked ... just "give up"?! :mad:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Well, the Freakonomics people claim they did investigate injuries and also found no significant difference. That is what contradicts studies like those from PCPS. Who is right remains to be seen, though PCPS claims to have a paper to be published in a journal on the topic later this year.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hmmm ... I must be confused -- I never did actually see them on TV, but someone else said they only compared deaths ... I really find hard to believe that there are little differences comparing injuries -- did they compare TYPE of injuries or just the number :confused:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I guess I have a hard time w/ this whole thing. Wouldn't an improperly installed seat still give a little better protection w/ the harnesses than a seatbelt? I guess it really depends on how it's improperly installed and harness tightness etc. I just think the chance that a 2yo will be sitting in the right position in a bpb at the moment of impact is pretty slim.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
thepeach80 said:
I guess I have a hard time w/ this whole thing. Wouldn't an improperly installed seat still give a little better protection w/ the harnesses than a seatbelt? I guess it really depends on how it's improperly installed and harness tightness etc. I just think the chance that a 2yo will be sitting in the right position in a bpb at the moment of impact is pretty slim.

OOOOOH let me tell you about T's seat! LOL He will be 4 in July. He is 41lbs and has a 15" torso. I went out with his mom to their car yesterday just be nosey! LOL She went to put him in a harnessed Cosco booster, when he climbed in,it moved probably 4 or 5 inches. I'm sure I could of tipped it all the way over if I tried! And the harness was still on, but was soooo unbelievably twisted and so loose that I could EASILY fit my entire fist between him and the harness. I told her T was over 40lbs and she needed to take the harness off and use it as a booster. So she unbuckles the seat belt and went to strap him in...it's a LAP belt only!

I showed her T's new seat in my vehicle (a BV) and told her she needs to have her new bf buy him one! LOL

It's scary how those boys are transported! In this case, I'd almost bet a seat belt would be better. If it weren't just a lap belt!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
thepeach80 said:

That's the whole question. Are the Freakonomics guys right or not? Only time and new studies will tell, I guess.

Incidentally, they aren't even comparing harness seats to bpb. They are comparing any type of child restraint to just a seatbelt alone...

skipspin

If it's still being discussed can you tell me where it is? I can't find the discussion you are talking about.....but I'd love to help out, even if it ends up with two of us being "crazy car seat" moms!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC