Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Community Member mamabear's Avatar

Re: From USA Today: LAP CHILDREN AT RISK IN FLIGHT

Morganthe,
    not a gift.
    My DH is an airline pilot. That's airline family living.
    We have ways of finding out what the loads are beforehand. I don't even head to the airport if they are booked to just a few open seats.
    We have been bumped before. Being flexible is the key. It used to stress me out. I would be in an almost full blown panic attack at boarding time when they start to call standbys. It's like waiting to hear your name called as a lottery winner.DH grew up with his dad working for the airlines, so he's been doing it since he was a little boy. He is sooo relaxed about it! He would always joke that if we didn't get on , we could just go somewhere else, the sky's the limit!
    After the years I'm used to it now.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    Airlines may be toying with the idea of charge MORE for higher weights (because of fuel costs) just like many are doing already with checked baggage, but would not be likely to charge less for lighter weights than an "average" adult.
    Actually, we're flying to Europe for Christmas with Air France and the children's fare is something like 75% of adult fare. So charging less than full fare does exist but I'm not sure it really has to do with weight, more likely it's to encourage families to fly on a smaller budget. BTW we're not paying for these seats, DH's family is flying us over. We could afford it, but it would mean no vacation for 2009
    DD 7, 52" 48# Maxi Cosi Rodi XR and Britax Parkway SG
    DS 5¾ 46" 45# Britax Parkway
    DS 3 1/2, 40" 36# SK Radian
    3 across in a '07 VW Rabbit and a '09 Acura MDX

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Actually, we're flying to Europe for Christmas with Air France and the children's fare is something like 75% of adult fare. So charging less than full fare does exist but I'm not sure it really has to do with weight, more likely it's to encourage families to fly on a smaller budget. BTW we're not paying for these seats, DH's family is flying us over. We could afford it, but it would mean no vacation for 2009
    Wow!
    Their loads must be light for them to be able to do that!
    Airlines would rather takeoff with a seat that was 25% off full fare, rather than empty!
    I think you hit the nail on the head with it being about encouraging families to fly on small budgets.
    France... You are so Lucky!

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Kids fares are almost always 75% of adult fare until they hit a certain age. Unless it's a low price airline and the flight is short. Can't remember if it's until 9 or 12 years, it's somewhere around there.
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post
    Kids fares are almost always 75% of adult fare until they hit a certain age. Unless it's a low price airline and the flight is short. Can't remember if it's until 9 or 12 years, it's somewhere around there.
    Not within Canada, sadly. Free as lap babies, or full adult fare - nothing in between.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solmama View Post
    It could happen. Airlines are now contemplating charging passengers by weight.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/pe...airline_ticket
    I'm a big girl. I'd be okay paying by the pound as long as my daughter gets to do the same -- we'd probably cancel each other out (and we travel light, so luggage won't be an issue).
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Must be a European thing.
    Kids are usually full fare in the US too.
    Are the airlines in European countries subsidized by the Government in any way?Maybe fare competition isn't as fierce as here in the States?

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    Must be a European thing.
    Kids are usually full fare in the US too.
    Are the airlines in European countries subsidized by the Government in any way?Maybe fare competition isn't as fierce as here in the States?
    I'm not sure about subsidies (although just about everything in Europe - and Canada - is subsidized, to a degree) but there are a lot of discount carriers in Europe charging absurdly low fares (ie, Paris to Milan for 50 euro), and there is stiff competition from high-speed trains (which I love, so much more comfortable than flying, without the annoying long wait at the airport).

I guess (in our case) without the discounted fares for children it's NO trip at all. In the airlines' balance sheets I guess it's better to sell 2 full adult fares and 3 discounted fares than no fares at all. Makes sense to me.
    DD 7, 52" 48# Maxi Cosi Rodi XR and Britax Parkway SG
    DS 5¾ 46" 45# Britax Parkway
    DS 3 1/2, 40" 36# SK Radian
    3 across in a '07 VW Rabbit and a '09 Acura MDX

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    Not within Canada, sadly. Free as lap babies, or full adult fare - nothing in between.
    Air Canada offers child fares for international flights. Also interesting to note, is that free lap babies are only within Canada. For Canada -> U.S. you have to pay the tax on your lap baby's seat, for Canada -> International you pay 10% of the adult fare.

Here's AC's web page with info and a price chart http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ant-child.html

I am not sure if other Canadian airlines do something similar.

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    Air Canada offers child fares for international flights. Also interesting to note, is that free lap babies are only within Canada. For Canada -> U.S. you have to pay the tax on your lap baby's seat, for Canada -> International you pay 10% of the adult fare.

Here's AC's web page with info and a price chart http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ant-child.html

I am not sure if other Canadian airlines do something similar.
    Yes, you're right. I meant for domestic flights (within Canada,) there are no discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    Yes, you're right. I meant for domestic flights (within Canada,) there are no discounts.
    Gotcha!