News From USA Today: LAP CHILDREN AT RISK IN FLIGHT

mamabear

Morganthe,
not a gift.
My DH is an airline pilot.:p That's airline family living.
We have ways of finding out what the loads are beforehand. I don't even head to the airport if they are booked to just a few open seats.
We have been bumped before. Being flexible is the key. It used to stress me out. I would be in an almost full blown panic attack at boarding time when they start to call standbys. It's like waiting to hear your name called as a lottery winner.DH grew up with his dad working for the airlines, so he's been doing it since he was a little boy. He is sooo relaxed about it! He would always joke that if we didn't get on , we could just go somewhere else, the sky's the limit!
After the years I'm used to it now.

ADS

smurf

Airlines may be toying with the idea of charge MORE for higher weights (because of fuel costs) just like many are doing already with checked baggage, but would not be likely to charge less for lighter weights than an "average" adult.

Actually, we're flying to Europe for Christmas with Air France and the children's fare is something like 75% of adult fare. So charging less than full fare does exist but I'm not sure it really has to do with weight, more likely it's to encourage families to fly on a smaller budget. BTW we're not paying for these seats, DH's family is flying us over. We could afford it, but it would mean no vacation for 2009 :eek:

mamabear

Actually, we're flying to Europe for Christmas with Air France and the children's fare is something like 75% of adult fare. So charging less than full fare does exist but I'm not sure it really has to do with weight, more likely it's to encourage families to fly on a smaller budget. BTW we're not paying for these seats, DH's family is flying us over. We could afford it, but it would mean no vacation for 2009 :eek:

Wow!
Their loads must be light for them to be able to do that!
Airlines would rather takeoff with a seat that was 25% off full fare, rather than empty!
I think you hit the nail on the head with it being about encouraging families to fly on small budgets.
France... You are so Lucky!

Adventuredad

Kids fares are almost always 75% of adult fare until they hit a certain age. Unless it's a low price airline and the flight is short. Can't remember if it's until 9 or 12 years, it's somewhere around there.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Kids fares are almost always 75% of adult fare until they hit a certain age. Unless it's a low price airline and the flight is short. Can't remember if it's until 9 or 12 years, it's somewhere around there.

Not within Canada, sadly. :( Free as lap babies, or full adult fare - nothing in between.

mamabear

Must be a European thing.:shrug-shoulders:
Kids are usually full fare in the US too.
Are the airlines in European countries subsidized by the Government in any way?Maybe fare competition isn't as fierce as here in the States?

smurf

Must be a European thing.:shrug-shoulders:
Kids are usually full fare in the US too.
Are the airlines in European countries subsidized by the Government in any way?Maybe fare competition isn't as fierce as here in the States?

I'm not sure about subsidies (although just about everything in Europe - and Canada - is subsidized, to a degree) but there are a lot of discount carriers in Europe charging absurdly low fares (ie, Paris to Milan for 50 euro), and there is stiff competition from high-speed trains (which I love, so much more comfortable than flying, without the annoying long wait at the airport).

I guess (in our case) without the discounted fares for children it's NO trip at all. In the airlines' balance sheets I guess it's better to sell 2 full adult fares and 3 discounted fares than no fares at all. Makes sense to me.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Not within Canada, sadly. :( Free as lap babies, or full adult fare - nothing in between.
Air Canada offers child fares for international flights. Also interesting to note, is that free lap babies are only within Canada. For Canada -> U.S. you have to pay the tax on your lap baby's seat, for Canada -> International you pay 10% of the adult fare.

Here's AC's web page with info and a price chart http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/youngtravellers/infant-child.html

I am not sure if other Canadian airlines do something similar.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Air Canada offers child fares for international flights. Also interesting to note, is that free lap babies are only within Canada. For Canada -> U.S. you have to pay the tax on your lap baby's seat, for Canada -> International you pay 10% of the adult fare.

Here's AC's web page with info and a price chart http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/youngtravellers/infant-child.html

I am not sure if other Canadian airlines do something similar.

Yes, you're right. :) I meant for domestic flights (within Canada,) there are no discounts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC