Interesting product

ADS

MomToEliEm

I would not be okay with replacing the harness chest clip with this device. The harness clip is suppose to behave a certain way in an accident. I don't have any assurances from the company that it will behave the same in the accident.

As for the pad, I think I would have to see how thick it is before making a judgment on it. It didn't look too bad in the picture, but I really can't say without seeing the product. To be safe, I probably would say no since there is something going between the child and the seat and it is an aftermarket product.

hjal05

This is a very interesting product. My mom just keeps saying that someone should invent something like this. I guess it would be a parent call. Most all car seat manufactures say you shouldn't you any aftermarket products. I'm curious to see what others say about this.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It's certainly an interesting concept.

However, I wouldn't use it and wouldn't recommend that a parent use it either. No car seat manufacturer is going to approve the use of this chest clip in place of the one that was tested with the seat. (Now, if a car seat manufacturer were to test and approve this with their seats, that would be a different story.)

MissAllyLou

I wouldn't recommend using either of these products. However, there is another product that consists of a large piece of plastic that can be clipped to an empty carseat. The idea is that when you go to buckle up your baby, you take the plastic thing off the seat, and clip it to your keys. Then, as you are getting out of the car, you realize there is this large plastic thing connected to your keychain, and therefore, there must be a baby in the backseat. I will try and find a link so you can see this 'large plastic thing.' LoL.

But, seriously, why are we forgetting babies in the first place? Are some people's kids really that quiet? Because I've never met one.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
We laughed about this product at my update class last week. Now a week later, 2 hot car deaths in 2 days. I agree, replacing the chest clip is a bad idea.

hunypooh77

I have 2 kids...I dont understand how anyone could forget a baby in the car!! There was a case around here this summer and the mother didnt get in trouble yet the poor baby who suffered in a hot car for 2 hours ended up in intensive care in a coma!! Why is there no penalty for this? Its absurd!!!! If someone does this to a dog theres all kinds of trouble....

cmm7

However, there is another product that consists of a large piece of plastic that can be clipped to an empty carseat. The idea is that when you go to buckle up your baby, you take the plastic thing off the seat, and clip it to your keys. Then, as you are getting out of the car, you realize there is this large plastic thing connected to your keychain, and therefore, there must be a baby in the backseat. I will try and find a link so you can see this 'large plastic thing.' LoL.

Do you mean this?

my2kidsSafe

i agree that the concept is good, but i also wouldn't trust it. WHen i looked at the harness clip thing made me think of another device that i think should be invented. A harness clip and/or buckle that alarms when it is undone. I have a friend that has an autistic son and he gets out of his harness all the time. She has tried everything. Tape, putting it on backwards, you name it she tried it. But this kid has severe sensory issues and can not stand loud noices. I guarantee once with that going off would stop him from doing it. ANd would alert mom prior to her son actually gettting out of the seat. I am not a tech, but i would be ok with someone in that situation replacing the chest clip for a clip like this. Only because i think it would be much safer than having the kid out of the harness.

NannyMom

I have 2 kids...I dont understand how anyone could forget a baby in the car!! There was a case around here this summer and the mother didnt get in trouble yet the poor baby who suffered in a hot car for 2 hours ended up in intensive care in a coma!! Why is there no penalty for this? Its absurd!!!! If someone does this to a dog theres all kinds of trouble....

In some states, there is a penatly. I saw 2 young children left alone in a car in a mall parking lot. The police were called. THe Mother is being charged. She can face up to 9 months in jail and a $5000 fine. At the bare minimum she will now have a criminal record.

i think if they are forgetting their child in the car what is the chances they would even install that right....they'd propabaly forget the damn keys in the car with the alarm on it

BookMama

Senior Community Member
No car seat manufacturer is going to approve the use of this chest clip in place of the one that was tested with the seat. (Now, if a car seat manufacturer were to test and approve this with their seats, that would be a different story.)

Not to quote myself, LOL, but I wanted to add some info. I've seen an e-mail from Sarah Tilton at Britax regarding this specific product. Here is what she had to say about it:

Britax Child Safety, Inc. has the following statement in all user
guides:

The use of non-Britax Child Safety, Inc., covers, inserts, toys,
accessories, or tightening devices is not approved by Britax.

Their use could cause this child seat to fail Federal Motor Vehicle
Safety Standards or not perform as intended in a crash.

Their use automatically voids the Britax warranty.

This device is not supported by Britax at this time to be used on any of
our child restraints.

So yeah, manufacturers just aren't going to condone the use of this product without appropriate testing, which I wouldn't expect to happen any time soon.

laccaycol

I just wanted to say it is possible to forget your child in the car:eek: I have sadly done this once:( I am also the most over protective mom there is and i get told this all the time. I was lucky and i was only picking up my dd from school when i left my son in the car. I was distracted:thumbsdown:, I was on the phone talking to my dh. My son was very quite and he is never quite. I parked the car got out even stopped said hi to my neighbor in her car then i went and got my dd by that time i was off the phone and i looked around i knew i was missing something and when i remembered i had him i freaked out and my dd and i RAN to the car. He was sitting in his car seat all hot and sweaty(in AZ) i cried and called my dh back and told him and i told my neighbor when we got home and she said i wondered where he was when you stopped to say hi. I said why didnt you say anything omg but not her fault its mine. :eek:

This isnt something that i am proud of. I dont even know how i didnt even realize i had him till after i got my dd. He was extra quite that day in the car though didnt make a sound. It still freaks me out to this day and this was about 6 years ago.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC