Chicco Keyfit 30 vs Graco Safeseat 1?

rosey2007

I wish that I could buy both but that is not going to be the case LOL. I cannot make up my mind on which seat that I like better. I like the Safeseat because of the 32 in limit, but I also like the Chicco Keyfit 30 because of the solid feel that it has and the infant insert.

My other question is about the newborn head support. Does the Keyfit support the newborns head without the infant head support? How does the head support work in the Safeseat? Thanks for listening to me ramble.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I thought the infant support in the Key Fit was excellent. It's touch and go with the SS1, graco seems to have about 4 kinds... I only had got mine when Leah was 8 mos old and promptly took it out, lol. I think the Key Fit really fits MOST babies till at least a year, the SS1 is closer to 18 months... I was happier with the ease of use of the Key Fit, but happier to have the SS1 since Leah didn't walk till 15 months and having a carrier to get us through a long cold winter and wet spring was invaluable for me. Uh...flip a coin? lol.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I don't own either seat (yet) but I have helped with installs for my friend with her SS1 and my sisters' Keyfit. I like them both very much. The Keyfit seems a little more compact. I agree that the Keyfit infant support works very well. Why would you want to remove it? Are you asking about how it supports them after removing once baby reaches 11 lbs? You can use the head support the entire time.

rosey2007

I was wondering if you have to have the infant head support in the Keyfit or is infant insert enought to support the baby's head. Thanks for all your replies.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They really intend for you to use the bum pillow and head pillow together for a newborn... I don't have the best picture on my page, but you can see Leah as a newborn in there with both http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats Then you take out the bum pillow at 11 pounds and can use the head pillow when you are using the bottom and middle slots (but not the top slot, they don't want the straps going through the same holes as the harness, at least that's how it was on my KF 22). (I'm not a big fan of pillows and pads, so I don't even have a picture of her in there with the head pillow at all, even though it was allowed).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
This is my newborn coming home from the hospital at 6lbs 14oz and 20" in a SS1. I found the head support to be good, much better then I expected it to be and better then the SR. Her head never slumped in it.
newborn.jpg

steph410

thanks for this thread! i am in the same boat, trying to decide which to buy. I have an additional question, I hope someone can tell me: which one is more narrow? i need to fit mine 3 across in an SUV with a Britax Roundabout and a Britax Decathlon and there is limited space.

trctjs

I was forced to make this same decision not long ago. I have always been happy with my Graco products but in the end I decided on the Chicco. I let my 5 year old pick out the color so we ended up with the orange one.

I can fit it, a radian 65 and a Marathon 3 across in my 2001 Durango.

The Chicco weighs about 1/2 less than the SafeSeat.......I found that to be a bit of a bonus. :)

rosey2007

I am just going to have to play with both of these seats, but I think my mind is set on the Chicco. Like another poster said it feels solid and I like that feeling as well.

rosey2007

Well I finally got a chance to play with the Keyfit and the SS1 and have decided on the Keyfit. I like the feel of this car seat and I also like how easy it was to install. I also like the fact that it has the alligator clips. I also think that the infant insert will really work well for an infant.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Good choice. Honestly it has probably been my number one all time favorite seat (made better that I found one for $107 shipped before they were very popular, lol).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC