finally decided!!! Uptown it is!

purplemama

Okay, I've been lurking about on this site for a few weeks now and have been reading up like crazy about every car seat there is. I've posted a question about the true fit (thanks for your replies). And I've driven my poor DH nuts with my indecision. So after reading about how big lots has the safety 1st uptown for $65 I sent him there to get two. I really wanted the true fit but my DH was VERY small as a child (30lbs at age 5 what if DS takes after him?) so I'd rather get the uptown for now and when DS outgrows the uptown we'll go insane once again trying to decide what to get as I'm sure there will be lots of advances in what's availble by then. I can't wait until I can install it tomorrow (he got them on lunch hour today and I go to work when he gets home) but meanwhile I'll take the manual to work tonight to read it over.

I would like any advice, tips or tricks on the uptown that anyone could give me. General opinion? Love it? Hate it? Please let me know!:)

ADS

featherhead

If you are installing rear-facing, make sure you have some pieces of pool noodle handy. With the Uptown they are usually needed to get a good angle.

niccig

I used a rolled up towel to get the RF angle, for travel the towel would go in the suitcase. There was only one car I didn't need to use the towel. It's our travel seat, so I've put it in lots of different cars.

Latch install - either RF or FF
Tuck the end of the LATCH strap back through the belt path and then pull it tight. Your hand will be in the middle of the car seat where your child's bottom would be, so you have to remove this part of the cover to get to the belt path. Don't try and pull the Latch strap beside the seat where the Latch connectors are - I can't get it tight enough if I do it that way.

Seatbelt install
I put my hand close to the seatbelt buckle and then pull the lap portion of the belt tight and then feed the shoulder portion back into the retractor - I do this with all seats though, not just the Uptown.

sunnymw

I had to use a 3 tower noodle, and it's still pretty upright :) (07 Civic). I also had to get behind it and push it down into the seat to get it super tight. :D

BabyKaykes

The harness adjuster is a pain to get to, depending on the recline angle. Fit the harness in the house while baby is wearing his average summer outfit, so you don't have to loosen/tighten the harness all the time. You'll need to fit him again when the weather cools down and his clothing changes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC