Adding tether anchors to Chevy Venture?

U

Unregistered

Has anyone added tether anchors to the back bench of a Chevy venture minivan? There is only one anchor and I called my dealer to see about adding another one. He was confused, asked the service dept, they were confused, no one knows about this there. They were supposed to call me back last week but no one did. Should I call another dealer? Is there a way to get this done for free?

Another question: There is only one anchor for the back bench and it is supposed to be for the for the middle position. For some reason this is positioned 1/3 of the way across the back, so the tether would angle to the right if you were looking at it from behind. I currently have a Regent in the passenger side outboard position back there. Is there a reason I couldnt use the tether anchor even though it's not for that seat? It is located exactly between where the middle and outboard positions would be, so either way it would not be going straight down, KWIM?

Thanks for any help!

ADS

my3girls

I don't have specific info about a Chevy, but I can tell you with my Dodge van, I had to give them a "Service Bulletin" # to look up in their computer that said "Dodge will install top tether anchors for vehicles from 19__ - 20__". W/O this they had no clue what I was talking about! Hopefully someone on this board can get that info for you, too! Secondly, what does your manual say about that tether that you have? I would think it would tell you which seat it had to be used for or maybe that you could just chose which seat to use it with. HTH!

melaniev

I feel really dumb now - is there a specific place you are supposed to anchor the tether to? I always snap them to whatever is nearby; I've even used what I believe are LATCH bars on the seat behind the one with the carseat, or headrests on the same seat, etc etc.

U

Unregistered

The Chevy manual says that the tether anchor in the back bench is for the center position (the only one with LATCH). I just dont see what the difference would be using it for the middle or the side since it is exactly between the two seats.

If anyone has anything I could print out and bring to Chevy that would be great!

To the previous poster- yes there are specific places you should tether. I am not an expert but I believe that you wouldnt want to tether to a place that would move in a crash.

jenny03

I don't remember *how* far away from the seat being used is okay, but someone posted a week or so ago that Britax okayed the use of the tether anchor in a different seating position. (like center car seat, outboard tether anchor) Call Britax and double check with them. Also, you could go on the Chevy website and search for the info. (type in tether anchor in search box) That's how I found it on Ford's.

melaniev, depending on what year your car was made, it may have a tether anchor already installed. It would tell you in the manual--do you have LATCH? If so, you should have a top tether anchor also. If not, you can get one installed at the dealer. Parts kits are usually 10-15 dollars.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
FWIW I have a friend w/ a 2003 who has struggled w/ Chevy on this and they have been unwilling to install one as well.

Chevy is weird also about their tethers, my 2005 Suburban has one kind that is between the center and driver's outboard seat but it is for the center position only. However DH brought home a 2005 Tahoe the other day and it was between the pass outboard and center and could be used for either, very weird since it is basically the same seat in both vehicles.

I believe Britax allows it to be off 20 degrees from the center???

U

Unregistered

The 2nd row is 2 captains chairs (marathon on one and roundabout on the other) and the Regent is on the bench, third row, outboard passenger side.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
melaniev said:
I feel really dumb now - is there a specific place you are supposed to anchor the tether to? I always snap them to whatever is nearby; I've even used what I believe are LATCH bars on the seat behind the one with the carseat, or headrests on the same seat, etc etc.
Yes, there are specific top tether anchorage points.... If the vehicle manual doesn't state where they are, it might explain how to get one installed -- or maybe someone here with a LATCH manual can help :confused:

U

Unregistered

There are 4 Ventures or Montanas in my extended family (MY 2001 to 2004). I've just been back and forth with GM on getting more anchors in any or all of them. All I can say about the experience is GRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Basically you can only get what comes from the factory. Adding more is considered an unauthorized modification and not supported by GM. The seat mounted anchors are attached to a bar inside the seat frame. So you can't add more to the bar. Floor mounted anchors can't be added either. There is either not enough room for one or there isn't a reinforced area to use. When they talked about room, it seemed they meant that there wasn't enough clearance between the stuff under the van and the underside of the floor.

The third row anchors are only meant (designed and tested) for the seating location listed in the owner’s manual. So the off-centre anchor isn't guaranteed to work properly if used for an outboard child restraint.

As I was reading this, my husband was outside installing a tether anchor in our 1997 Chevy Venture that we just bought. So, I made him stop so I could read this to him. :) He works in the part's department at a GM dealership so he said he did a search of their computer and kind of stumbled across it. The anchor kit wasn't easy to find, he said. It's called a bracket kit and it comes with instructions on how to install it and where. He just put in an anchor for the middle row outboard position. The kit said to install it at the 3rd row seatbelt anchor bolt. For the inside seat in the middle row, it says to attach the anchor to the 3rd row middle seat itself.

He called his dept to see about the 2002 Venture, and there is no listing for a bracket kit for that year. He says that GM probably is afraid of liability issues. In his opinion, he doesn't see why you couldn't use a kit for an older model, and just follow the directions. Just his opinion. Anyone who is mechanically inclined shouldn't have any problem with the installation, although the instructions are kind of complicated.

This is the third vehicle hubby has had to install anchors in because we always buy older vehicles. LOL So, it's become pretty easy for him.

Good luck and I hope you get some help.

U

Unregistered

Update: I am waiting on a call back from GM about this topic. Not holding my breath though! Anyway, I was wondering if I could just use the d-ring to tether the seat to the same solid bar behind the back bench that the anchor is attached to for the other seating position?? Is there any safety issue with that?

Thanks!
Annie

U

Unregistered

Yes, it could be a big safety issue to do what you're proposing. The D-ring is for use only for tethering a rear facing Britax seat. It should never be used to tether a forward facing Britax seat nor any other brand of carseat rear facing or forward facing. And a forward facing carseat should only be tethered to a designated vehicle tether anchor.

Since Britax lets you tether 20 degrees off center, it shouldn't be a problem to use the existing anchor. You can only use the D-ring for rear-facing carseats. There seems to be no way to follow both Britax and GM recommendations without putting the carseat in the middle position. It's just wrong, in my opinion, that we're put in such a situation. Britax says to always use the tether and always follow your vehicle maker's recommendations for where to tether, but GM doesn't give a hoot about keeping our children safe just making as much money as possible and covering their behinds while doing so. So, what should a person do?

I'm fortunate that my husband is a "car guy" and i trust his judgement and experience as to where to attach additional anchors; otherwise, I'd be where you are - being ignored by GM.

U

Unregistered

I have a 96 Chevrolet truck and had great luck with Chevrolet in getting the tether brackets. When I first called the dealer they were clueless, but I called a 1 800 number that they gave me for Chevrolet, and several people later I got a really nice lady who gave me all the info that I needed and even called the dealer for me!. They mailed the part and the dealer installed two for free (but not a third one - I can easily get three across in my backseat, its just actually getting the kids in and out that - is the real challenge).Good Luck! I also had a Checy venture van 01 or 02, but it was a 8 seater and I never looked to see about tethering in the third row.

Dillipop

When dealing with Chevy, I think it depends on the dealer sometimes. When I first had anchors installed in our 98 cavalier (2) and parents 99 Buick (1), I called the dealership they had bought the Buick from. They refused to install anchors for liability reasons. Thankfully we have another dealership equidistant from us and they were willing to install all the anchors for free. Now we are trying to get 2 more anchors installed in the Buick...when I called last week, they set the appointment for today. When my mom got there, they did not have the anchors in stock! They never thought to check before having her come in. THey were very apologetic and should have the anchors in the next day or two, but still...check you inventory!

I think the problem with installing anchors in cars that originally came with them stems from the fact that is what was tested. I am guessing toyota and honda, etc. would not install additional anchors to those that were already installed from the factory, either. You are stuck with what came off the conveyer belt. I think all companies are only retrofitting those that did not have them come standard. The only thing we can do is find someone with a knowledge of structural parts of the cars and hope they would be able to find a place to add an anchor to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC