Ugh! ILs dont listen, wwyd?

Wife&MomX3

My ILs only drive the kids anyplace once or twice a month AT MOST, but they want seats in their cars. Fine, it's their money. But they dont listen when I explain wut kind of seats the kids need. :(
They had a Scenera for DS, which he's basically outgrown, and I suggested they get a Nautilus next, cuz they Rnt too expensive, and that is the last seat they'd hafta buy. Then DD1 can use the Scenera for a while. I even told him when Walmart had them on sale for less than $130.
We're moving, and they R takin the older two for 2 days while DH and I pack and move (it's an out of town move). So they show up w/ one of the Eddie Bauer seats that only harnesses to 40lbs, and that DS is already on the top slots and farthest fwd crotch buckle spot! :rolleyes: I tell him that this seat wont last much longer than the one they already had would, and suggest he return it, since he'd hafta buy another one still. I asked him how much it was, but he didnt say, kids were distracting. Im wondering if he got a good deal on it, and didnt want to shell out the money for the Nautilus.:whistle: NEway, I tell him that if they dont want to spend the money on an extended harnessing seat, that we can just lend them the Apex out of DH's car when they want to take the kids someplace. He mentioned that once he hits 40lbs that he can use the seatbelt in booster mode:rolleyes::thumbsdown: I just said legally yes, but that MY kids cant ride that way, and reiterated that very tall DS would outgrow it by height b4 he hits 40lbs NEway. (he only has an inch til he's at the top slots of the thing, if that).
So would U bother sending them tons of info and links to make them understand Y extended harnessing is so important, regardless of minimum booster laws? Or just send the right seat along w/ DS anytime they want to take them someplace? I cant decide if I'd be wasting my time tryin to get them to understand the importance. But then again, I want them to understand, and not just think Im being overprotective and difficult.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you haven't sent it along yet I'd do it once. After that, though, I'd just install seats for them.

Wendy

Loves2sing

If you think that it would help, I would send the info. If they are like my in-laws, then I wouldn't bother. I would just inform them that I will install the car seats everytime they want to take the kids somewhere.

Either that, or tell them that they can buy your Apex off of you, and then you could go buy the Nautilus for your own car.:whistle:

remken

I just put one of Remy's seat in their vehicles when he goes somewhere with them. But if they insisted on having a seat of their own their vehicle it would have to be of one I approved of or he is not riding with them.

NVMBR02

If you think that it would help, I would send the info. If they are like my in-laws, then I wouldn't bother. I would just inform them that I will install the car seats everytime they want to take the kids somewhere.

Either that, or tell them that they can buy your Apex off of you, and then you could go buy the Nautilus for your own car.:whistle:

If you can afford it, I would do this as well.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had a hard time reading this post because of this.

While I also had a difficult time reading the original post, let's please not get too hung up on it. :twocents: Simply for future referrence, it may be worth noting that plain black font and standard english (instead of text message style) is easier to read, which then makes it easier for us to help :eek: We do have a list of commonly used acronyms at this forum, though....

As for the original question -- it is nice that they want to buy their own seats for your kids, but if they're planning on not following your safety requirements, then I would urge them to simply let you install your own seats each visit (or do as JennasMommy suggested).

Perhaps they'd also be willing to visit a local CPST for a seatcheck together with you? :)

Wife&MomX3

Thanx 4 the replies everyone! (the ones that actually answered my question that is, LOL!) I installed the seat myself, as I usually do for them, so I know it's right. I talked to DH when he got home and he agrees w/ me that they should just buy the Nautilus if they want their own seat, otherwise we'll just lend them one of ours, no problem.

Papooses--Thanx for the civil, helpful reply :) I know a few of my phonetic, text type abbreviations R less familiar to some ppl than others, but I didnt know the color made a difference (it shows up great on my screen) Thanx 4 the heads up :love:

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanx 4 the heads up :love:

No worries! It's just that we do have quite a few visitors for whom English is not their 1st language & we also have a bunch of English teacher types around, too ;) We want to be inclusive without pushing anyone away simply for their writing style, but we also want to make sure everyone's questions can be fully answered & a lot of really great advice could be missed when the readers have a hard time following along :eek:

Anyway, it sounds like you'll be able to work this particular situation out just fine :) If I were you, it would simply come down to the fact that *I* decide the health + safety requirements for *my* child (even when I'm not there: I expect any caregivers to follow my rules in my absense)

My kid has become fully aware of that about me & is a great tattletale when expect her to be :p

perhaps go to a store with them and your ds. babies r us probably has both the aoe and the nautilus. show them the difference in the seats versus price. they may be visual and ned to see it to understand. you have to remember when there kids were little a 5 yr old in the back seat with the seatbelt behind them was a normal everyday thing and no one had a second though on it. times change and improvements are made. try to show them the light so to speak.

The Bjorns

they should just buy the Nautilus if they want their own seat, otherwise we'll just lend them one of ours, no problem
:yeahthat:

I wouldn't waste my time and create hard feelings by bombarding them with info and trying to convince them you're not a crazy over protective nut case. If they had truely cared, they would've listened to your advice.

You gave them an excellent suggestion for a seat and they ignored it. Since that's the case, they can allow you to install a seat from your car whenever they plan on driving the kids. When they get tired of that, they can choose from the short list of seats you give them.

My mom knows I know more about car seats than she does so when she wanted seats for her car, she just asked me what to get. End of story. So easy.

Good luck moving! I think I'd rather install 100 car seats than pack and move!

Carefulove

Lend them yours, install it yourself.
If they ask to get one themselves, go with them or buy it and have them give you the money.
If they don't comply with your rules, then they can't take the kids!
That’s what I would do, but then again, my family wouldn’t dare go against me on something of this nature!:whistle:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I find that sometimes grandparents feel they have a say if they've purchased the seat. So, personally, I'd GIVE them the Apex and instructions on how to properly restrain my kids. Then, I'd buy a new seat for myself. If the Apex didn't work in their vehicle for some reason, I'd buy them a seat that did work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC