Is everybody jumping on the bag thing?

djma

Meaning car seat makers? Tonight at Wal-Mart, I was checking out the car seat section and now Graco has started packaging their seats in the bags like Cosco! They had a no-back booster in a bag and a comfortsport in a bag!

Are they doing this to reduce the amount of open boxes they have to sell because people want to see the seat?

And on a side note, I looked at the comfortsport that was in the bag and I don't understand why Graco won't add one more set of shoulder slots. There was plenty of room between the top slots and top of the shell to get one more set in there.

ADS

a_js

Not sure about the bag, but I agree on the Comfortsport. My friend has one and it is useless.

clmchrissy

I noticed the bag thing at Walmart today too! 1st time there in over 3 weeks :D probably the last time for at least a month too. But all the Cosco seats were in bags, the clearance seats were not a very good price, $14 for nbb Turbo & $18 for a new one :confused:

NVMBR02

Interesting. Now I want to go to Walmart and check it out, I haven't noticed anyone but Cosco/Dorel using the bags.

I noticed that too. I wanted just the bag though to store my Backless turbo in when it is not being used or my other carseats too.LOL!

I wonder if I could just call graco/dorel and ask for those bags! LO!L LOL LOL!

christineka

I just bought the avenue in a bag. It says that you can buy a replacement from dorel.

I recall that ages ago when we bought dd a graco cargo that the box did not fit in our car. We had to take the seat out and throw away the box in the walmart parking lot.

The bags solve that problem. I also like to see the seat and the dom.

Carefulove

I saw the bags a few weeks ago and I also saw a few damaged carseats. If the boxes sometimes came all smashed from the shipping (even shipping to the store) Imagine the beating those seats are getting now! :twocents:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
ugh. then again, plenty of seats get damaged when they are shipped in boxes (I'm thinking Regents and Fedex, in general), so it's probably not any 'worse' than boxes...i guess if companies end up with enough damage complaints they'll find a better solution. (for now it's economics..you can shove way more bagged seats onto a truck, and with diesel costing what it does, they might still make more money even with damaged covers to replace...)

Carefulove

ugh. then again, plenty of seats get damaged when they are shipped in boxes (I'm thinking Regents and Fedex, in general), so it's probably not any 'worse' than boxes...i guess if companies end up with enough damage complaints they'll find a better solution. (for now it's economics..you can shove way more bagged seats onto a truck, and with diesel costing what it does, they might still make more money even with damaged covers to replace...)

I know :(. But at least in the box, you are able to see that the box is smashed/broken, etc and you can leave it (or still buy it). With the bags, you never know what the carseat went through before hitting the shelf.

lauralou

Those carseats still get shipped in boxes from the man.They come packed together like shoes or anything else,then seperated at the store for sale.My dh knows the stocker at our walmart and asked b/c we were curious also.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Carseats are *way* stronger than any shipping procedure could ever hurt the integrity of. I wouldn't worry a bit about them being less safe because they are in a bag, unless there was obvious damage to the seat, then I'd buy the one underneath it and hope the store would not sell the damaged one, but it's almost guaranteed to be cosmetic damage, not anything that would reduce it's crashworthiness :thumbsup:

Kyras_Mama

I'd guess that it has to do with Wal-Marts attempts to get their manufacturers to reduce their overall packaging. (Trying to be more green.) They're working on encouraging the makers to reduce the packaging on a lot of their products. And yes, the bagged carseats are still shipped in a big box, not just in the bags. If you'd like I can ask my DH if he can find out what kind of packaging is in the boxes that they're shipped in. (He works at Wal-Mart and could ask the ladies over in the baby department.)

Carefulove

Those carseats still get shipped in boxes from the man.They come packed together like shoes or anything else,then seperated at the store for sale.My dh knows the stocker at our walmart and asked b/c we were curious also.

Ahh, good to know! (not that I am planning to buy more seats or anything):whistle:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Carseats are *way* stronger than any shipping procedure could ever hurt the integrity of. I wouldn't worry a bit about them being less safe because they are in a bag, unless there was obvious damage to the seat, then I'd buy the one underneath it and hope the store would not sell the damaged one, but it's almost guaranteed to be cosmetic damage, not anything that would reduce it's crashworthiness :thumbsup:

I agree in general - they come in a box / shipping container, not shipped loose. I'm guessing the bags are a way to cut shipping costs since you can get a whole bunch 'o seats together in a box rather than packaged individually.

But - I spent 3 years in office furniture sales and saw first hand the result of careless handling. I saw the wood desk after a fork truck speared it.:eek: Countless other items arrived dented or chipped because the box had been hit by something or been dropped on it's edge - even though the box looked fine.

I generally like the idea of the bag because it allows you to see what you are getting and supposedly results in less packaging. I think it will require more due diligence on the part of the buyer to ensure the plastic is not chipped or cracked B4 purchasing and in some cases, I think the bag will make it harder to inspect the seat closely.

christineka

You can unzip the bag and take the seat out to look at it. I think that is much better than having to rip open a box and leave it obvious that it has been opened.

the seats aren't taken much more of a beating then they were before. they are shipped in big boxes like you see at the grocaery store with pumpkins in them. they are all shrink wrapped together then seperated at the store. some proabably get cut opening the wrap. anyway i think its great they are changing the shipping package. the boxes took up a lot of extra space, they never fit in cars, people opened them anyway to see the seat. also like the city i live in they won't take carboard unless you cut it in 12x12 squares and bundle it. it results in the local walmart parking lot looking like a cardboard recycling center. i hate cutting them up. plus its nice to have something to store them back in when not in use. my friend works at walmart as a manager she said while they aren't gentle on the seats they also don't throw them around. thy had one pallet fall of the forklift and all the seats were sent back to be examined. it actually resulted in 4 seats being destroyed. personally i try not to worry about it too much...if the car seat manufactuers didn't think it was safe they wouldn't do it...remember if they make the seat and its get damaged and never sold they are losing money.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC