ruined my Frontier cover...

mamabear

It's pink sky. We just got back from camping and it was filthy! So I machine washed it on gentle (I know I know, the manual says hand wash only) but no swishing in the sink was going to do anything. Now it is linty UNDER the mesh in these lines/streaks all over it. Like the gray side part made a lot of lint and it collected under the mesh, and the dirt didn't even come out!! It looks terrible and it is totally bothering me!!

Call Britax and try to replace it now....or wait and see if anything cuter comes out in the next few months??

ADS

courtfrog2

Oh my... I have a pink sky one and I can't stand how it shows every speck of dirt. I also have problems where sometimes it looks wet... but never seems to dry.

Do you think Britax would replace it? Mine may have to be washed too if they do! :whistle: LOL. I have been using a towel and water with a tiny bit of soap to keep it clean.

mamabear

... I have been using a towel and water with a tiny bit of soap to keep it clean.

I was doing that in the beginning, but I found that the places I "spot cleaned" would end up attracting more dirt, I even saw water ring marks, and I don't allow any food/drink in the car so I have to attribute it to the spot cleaning.......That's why I finally gave in and threw it in the machine.

It's still usable, but I'm going to curse it every time I put DD in it...........

all together ooky

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in my pink sky cover. It looks filthy and I haven't had it all that long. Thanks for the warning about machine washing it! I was just going to do that. Bummer.

seamonkeys

Man! Not good to hear! :mad: I was afraid the mesh covers would be a pain to clean!! I don't know why they used mesh - I guess to look like the Monarch?!?! But that's one reason I didn't even like the look of the Monarch! Why can't they just do covers like the other seat! Maybe the new covers they come out with won't have mesh! :whistle:

NVMBR02

I don't even have a frontier and I find that disapointing. That is one thing I love about Britax covers, is how well they wash. I hope they get some new covers before I decide to buy one.

I would call even if you do replace it on your own, just so they know that there is a problem with them getting dirty/stained.

Jmark

if you find a dry cleaner that uses co2 it CANNOT harm anything and shouldn't mess with the fireproofing (i'd check with britax anyways though) and will remove the stains.

mamabear

if you find a dry cleaner that uses co2 it CANNOT harm anything and shouldn't mess with the fireproofing (i'd check with britax anyways though) and will remove the stains.

Thanks.
It's not so much the spots that are bothering me...it's the collection of dirt/lint that is embedded in the "foamy" padding part right under the mesh. I'm pretty sure there is nothing that is getting that out.:(

seamonkeys

Although it's a good suggestion, there's no way I want to have to bring my seat cover to dry cleaner any time it needs cleaning. They should make them so they're cleanable at home.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ugh, that totally sucks. Are they selling Frontier covers separately now? That would really bug me having the fuzz collection under the cover too.

Although it's a good suggestion, there's no way I want to have to bring my seat cover to dry cleaner any time it needs cleaning. They should make them so they're cleanable at home.

When I've washed my MA cover I've done it by hand in the bath tub. I would guess that the lack of agitation would prevent the piling, not sure how well it would get heavy stains out though.

Heather98012

Ok, this is annoying. Seriously....light colored seats are gonna get dirty. Man, we haven't even hit the rainy season in Seattle here! Ugh.

Can you post pics of what it looks like?? Also, what let us know what Britax says.

mamabear

OK here are some pics I took while unpacking from camping yesterday. I *knew* they would come in handy!! It's kind of hard to get the dark spots to show up in the photos, but I got a few spots.

This one is the biggest dark splotch and I was able to get one of the "fuzballs" in:

IMG_0250.jpg

This one is another dark splotch by the buckle hole, and you can see where some of the padding threads are starting to "fray" through the mesh:

IMG_0251.jpg

This one is just more "fraying" and a stain that didn't come clean in the lower right:

IMG_0252.jpg

I plan on calling Britax in a little while but I have a very grumpy 2yo at the moment. I'll keep ya posted............

mamabear

OK Called CS and spoke to Tracy.
They can't do anything about the dark linty splotches under the mesh, but I emailed her photos because it may be replaceable under warranty because of the padding that is starting to fray and pull up through the mesh. It was doing that right after I first got the seat and has nothing to do with the washing. In fact it may be due to the "spot cleaning" I was doing instead because I had to rub the areas with wet towel. Either way it isn't holding up in terms of Britax quality if you KWIM.
We will see what she says.........

Oh! And I told her that I would wait on replacing the cover if she knew they were coming out with new covers soon that aren't mesh (hint hint), but all she mentioned was the new Sahara Frontier (yuck)
I also told her to pass along that the Frontier need plush covers, Zebra would be awesome! She said she'd pass it along. Anyone want to hold their breath???

all together ooky

Oh! I have that padding-going-through-the-mesh thing too and I haven't even tried spot cleaning. I love my Marathon cover-I've put that through the wash with no problems. That's the way it should be.

mamabear

Oh! I have that padding-going-through-the-mesh thing too and I haven't even tried spot cleaning. I love my Marathon cover-I've put that through the wash with no problems. That's the way it should be.

Maybe you could call Britax too and let them know about your padding coming through too?? After this my opinion of the mesh fabric is that it SUCKS. It is totally not the quality I would expect from Britax. At all.
They need to know there are problems. There is NO WAY this seat cover would last the 9 years the seat is good for. If my warranty won't cover the "threading" of the padding, then a replacement cover is $80.

I told Tracy that the mesh is not good, and that I've had a Cowmoo MA and a Jefferson Tan RA (both plush covers) for years and machine washed them on gentle both a few times and they still look brand new. THAT's what I'd expect. You know what she told me?? She said machine washing is not recommended on the Frontier cover because it can deteriorate the fabric. WHY are you using that fabric then!?! What's a kids bottom sitting on it day after day going to do to it?? Not to mention my DD has these certain pair of jeans that have rhinestones on the back pockets and they always "catch" on the mesh. SOOOO annoying!!

Ahhh, rant over....much better now.:p

that is dissapointing. perhaps next time someone calls to complain let them know that the graco nautilus mesh seats are NOT having the same issues. i have thrown mine in the wash 4 times and have no problems with piling through the mesh. i was gong to get a frontier in the fall sale for my dd but seeing this i may wait until spring in hopes of a new and better cover.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC