SafeSeat Clip Cracked! Graco's Customer Serivce Response....

tel_76

Hi:

Just wondering if anyone has seen this, or had experience w/ this. We purchased our Graco SafeSeat in Late November last year (2007). Our daughter was born on Dec. 1st, thus the seat went into action on Dec. 2nd. Today whehn I went to put my daughter in the seat I noticed that the left clip (the part that slides into the buckle between the legs, NOT the chest clip) has a hairline crack. I am really upset about this as the seat' safety is now compromised, and we can no longer use it. There is no explanation that I can think of as to why this would occur. Nothing has ever been stored/placed/dropped on the seat. She is put into it, and taken out, and that is it. Our daughter is aprox. 15 pds, so there is no issue of weight or size.

I am annoyed w/ Graco's Customer Service. Although the agent I spoke w/ was very polite, the response is rather useless to me. They are going to mail me a new clip, by regular Canada Post methods, from Montreal to Calgary. They said I can expect it to arrive in no longer than 10 business days?!?!!? I asked if they could FedEx (or courier of some kind) and they said they do not do that.

This now makes my carseat not only useless, but forces me into buying a new seat. One of the reasons I had purchased the SafeSeat was to get use out of it for as long as possible given its high weight capacity. Given I will not have use of it, I now have to purchase a new seat. I could go a few days w/ out the seat, and wait for a courier, but I cannot sit at home for 2 weeks!!!

Anyone have suggestions or similar experiences?

The hairline crack in the clip is particularly worrisome as it is really unexplainable, and I wonder if it is something that could happen in others...?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The actual *metal* on the buckle tongue has a crack? or do you mean the plastic piece covering the metal buckle tongue? Did Graco say the seat was unsafe to use and to discontinue it's use? or was that a decision you made on your own?

HEVY

That would be very strange, and scary. But I understand not wanting to use the seat, first reaction, if it were the plastic.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Even if it's "just" the plastic covering--the potential exists for a piece of plastic to come off inside the buckle assembly and jam the latching mechanism.. It also could be a sign of a bigger production flaw. I can't imagine any parent wanting to chance it!

-N.

tel_76

Hi:

The crack is in the plastic. Interestingly, Graco Customer Service did not even discuss with me whether or not the seat was safe to use??? I made the decision on my own to discontinue use. As you can see from the picture, the plastic is what is cracked, but it is easy to see how the entire harness could fail if the piece fell apart entirely, or if the seat were in an accident and pressure put on it....

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Hi:

The crack is in the plastic. Interestingly, Graco Customer Service did not even discuss with me whether or not the seat was safe to use??? I made the decision on my own to discontinue use. As you can see from the picture, the plastic is what is cracked, but it is easy to see how the entire harness could fail if the piece fell apart entirely, or if the seat were in an accident and pressure put on it....
From what I've seen, the plastic piece on the harness buckles COVER a metal piece. So, if that plastic were to entirely fall off, there would still be the metal that the harness runs through, does that make sense? So, assuming it was just a flaw in the plastic, and that the metal underneath that actually does the work was fine, then the seat would still be safe to use. Years ago, I had several friends with combo seats for their kids where the plastic piece fell off entirely and the seats were used just with the metal buckle tongue. It makes it harder to buckle a child in because you don't have as large an area to grab, which is why I believe the plastic is there in the first place (make the buckle a larger area to grab and cold metal not touching child).

If I knew for a fact that this was a cosmetic defect only, and that the buckle underneath was solid metal and intact, I would keep using the seat. As QuassEE says further down though, you can't know this, since you can't see the metal underneath so better to be safe than sorry.

I would hope that Graco would have told you if the seat was unsafe to use. Perhaps that's why they weren't overly worried about the length of time that the new piece will take to get to you? Because they assume you are using it in the meantime?

Last edited:

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
Hi - can you do me a favour? Do you still have the seat? If so, Transport Canada would like to replace it and open an investigation. Can you contact Barb at 1-800-333-0510 - she's on holidays right now, but if you can wait until Monday, I know she would be interested....

Thanks

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
They're quick--I emailed TC right away when this post went up, as well. They'll want to know if this is a bigger issue or just a cosmetic one. That's not something we should speculate on, since there ARE seats out there with completely plastic buckle mechanisms. Because the seat has never been tested with this defect, we would only be speculating on it's performance.. When we're talking about a couple of hundred dollars versus a child's life... not worth it. Barb is back on the 18th...

-Nicole.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
They'll want to know if this is a bigger issue or just a cosmetic one. That's not something we should speculate on, since there ARE seats out there with completely plastic buckle mechanisms.
Yes, that is a good point. I made the assumption in my post that the buckle WAS metal underneath and that the metal was intact (and thus just a cosmetic defect with the cracked plastic). But you are correct, that of course nobody knows if it's cosmetic only until it's been investigated!

And woohoo to Transport Canada for getting on this so quickly!

HEVY

Hi - can you do me a favour? Do you still have the seat? If so, Transport Canada would like to replace it and open an investigation. Can you contact Barb at 1-800-333-0510 - she's on holidays right now, but if you can wait until Monday, I know she would be interested....

Thanks

That is so cool and quick.

Kristy00

Hi:

Just wondering if anyone has seen this, or had experience w/ this. We purchased our Graco SafeSeat in Late November last year (2007). Our daughter was born on Dec. 1st, thus the seat went into action on Dec. 2nd. Today whehn I went to put my daughter in the seat I noticed that the left clip (the part that slides into the buckle between the legs, NOT the chest clip) has a hairline crack. I am really upset about this as the seat' safety is now compromised, and we can no longer use it. There is no explanation that I can think of as to why this would occur. Nothing has ever been stored/placed/dropped on the seat. She is put into it, and taken out, and that is it. Our daughter is aprox. 15 pds, so there is no issue of weight or size.

I am annoyed w/ Graco's Customer Service. Although the agent I spoke w/ was very polite, the response is rather useless to me. They are going to mail me a new clip, by regular Canada Post methods, from Montreal to Calgary. They said I can expect it to arrive in no longer than 10 business days?!?!!? I asked if they could FedEx (or courier of some kind) and they said they do not do that.

This now makes my carseat not only useless, but forces me into buying a new seat. One of the reasons I had purchased the SafeSeat was to get use out of it for as long as possible given its high weight capacity. Given I will not have use of it, I now have to purchase a new seat. I could go a few days w/ out the seat, and wait for a courier, but I cannot sit at home for 2 weeks!!!

Anyone have suggestions or similar experiences?

The hairline crack in the clip is particularly worrisome as it is really unexplainable, and I wonder if it is something that could happen in others...?

I'm just impressed that you were able to get through to anyone to discuss the issue!! I have been trying to contact Graco about the worn straps on my Comfortsport for over 4 weeks now. I e-mailed first, it took 2 weeks to get a reply that told me to call. I called and had to leave a message because there were no available operators. Then the message said not to expect a response for 48 hours. They did finally call (only about 4 hours later :rolleyes:) but I was out because they told me they wouldn't be calling back right away! Since then I have called numerous times, always have had to leave a message and no one has called me back!

What was your secret???

tel_76

Thank-you everyone for your replies. I will follow-up w/ the Transport Canada number (I still have the seat).

I think I lucked out w/ getting through to Graco. I got the leave-a-message option several times, however I just kept hanging up and redialing until I got through. It was near the end of their day, so maybe I just got in before they shut the phone lines down?

Thanks again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC