Should I sell my Companion...?

pastrygirl

I've been thinking of selling my Companion for a while, but a recent thread made me change my mind (a few people mentioned some crash test video where the Companion was by far the best). But now that Britax supposedly is coming out with a new infant seat next year, I'm thinking again about selling. I'd rather sell it while it's still new-ish (DOM 2006), so waiting another year would just eat up a year of its life. I'm pretty convinced I will want either a Keyfit or SS next time, anyway, even if the new Britax one isn't out yet.

What would YOU do? Honestly, the only thing holding me back is my husband, who doesn't understand this sell-something-so-you-can-buy-something-else thing. :whistle:

Will I regret it if I sell? I used it for THREE months with my son. He hated it. I hated that I had to move him out of it so young because of his hatred of it. I'd love a seat that can last at least 9 months.

ADS

rosey2007

I saw the Keyfit today and it looks like a great seat and it looks like it would support an infant well, but I think the fact that the Companion has the rebound bar(big plus).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would. You know first kiddo already didn't like it, and there's likely to be something better on the horizon. No sense in keeping an expensive seat that you're likely to replace in the future anyways.

eta: I suspect that thread was discussing the NHTSA side impact testing video? (I haven't seen the thread you're referring to.) I wouldn't feel guilty getting rid of the companion. It doesn't pass CMVSS standards which makes me wonder exactly how much it exceeds FMVSS standards... (Some seats aren't sold in Canada because the manufacturer hasn't tested them or applied for approval to sell them here. In the case of the companion, Britax submitted the seat to TC for testing and permission to affix the national safety mark (CMVSS sticker,) and wasn't approved as neither Britax or Transport Canada were comfortable with how it barely squeaked by in the test. Britax chose not to bring the seat to Canada rather than redesign it so that it would pass testing.)

pastrygirl

I didn't know that about CMVSS! OK, I'm convinced. I'm going to try to convince my husband now. Our out-of-this-world oil bill should help with the convincing...

pastrygirl

Yay! I got the go-ahead from my husband. Now I just need to wash the cover... and hope that the watermark/stain from Toby's head isn't permanent!

craigslist it. people on budgets are always looking on craigslist and hunting for britax seats. they just have it engraved in their head it is the best seat out there. besides you have the right ideas. they are suppose to be coming out with a new seat and since you first kid didn't like it why chance it.

pastrygirl

I do plan to list it on Craigslist -- I see them there all the time, though I don't know if they actually sell. I checked ebay to get an idea on pricing and saw one completed listing for a Companion the same year as mine, WITHOUT the mandatory head support!!! It's not mandatory anymore, but it was for the 2006 seats. Someone actually bought it, too. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC