Do you have a spare booster for your kid's friends?

Melanie

Just wondering what everyone else does when you transport friends that don't use a car seat or booster in their parents' car.

Do you have your own booster? Do you have an extra harnessed seat? If your child is harnessed, do you allow the other child to use a booster?

ADS

loufrando

I have a Parkway that I keep for friends to ride in. If they are smaller/younger than dd I have them ride in the Regent and dd in the Parkway. If they are bigger/older I have them ride in the Parkway and dd in the Regent. No one has ever complained.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yeah, about a billion...

My car is pretty full, but I am willing to put my oldest in the front seat so someone else can ride with us. We re-arrange as necessary; usually this means my kids all go "down" a step (back seat to front seat, backless booster to only a seat belt, highback to backless, harnessed to highback booster), but that's because my kids are all highly protected in their usual seats anyway, and it's fine for them to use the other seats when the situation needs it.

Nobody rides in my car unless they're properly restrained - I don't care if their 3-yo rides in a backless booster in mom's car, they won't do it in my car! I make this very clear to everyone as soon as the topic comes up, and all my friends/family are used to it by now. (Heck, my sister's even been known to use it against me: "Can my dd ride with you? Because otherwise we're going to double-buckle because everyone won't fit in my car...")

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have spare car seats. My kids are 15 and 16. I currently have 13 car seats and waiting to pay for one more!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I currently have a Parkway and a WZ for a spare, but like others have said, the oldest, whether it is my kid or a friend, rides in the booster seat and the younger kids all ride in the harnessed seats. When I still had E RF, it was the same way. If I had a younger kid with me, that kid would get the RF seat and E would use one of the FF seats. Over the years, we've had many many spare seats, both harnessed and boosters, and I have now limited myself to just these 2.

niccig

DS's seat is a Safeguard, so bigger kids go in that and DS goes in the Uptown - he's 3.5 yo but the Uptown will last us another 12 months easily. Once that's outgrown, I'll get another spare/travel seat. So far, no other parent has questioned me on the car seats. I tell them I have a spare seat, so we don't need to uninstall their seat, and everyone agrees that's easier.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have a couple of backless spares I use, but generally I'll put in one of Piper's other seats. Depends on the need and age/weight of the child. *Normally* the older child would be in the booster, but Piper is SO protective of her booster that she will throw a tantrum worthy of a two year old if I let someone sit in it. So generally provided the child will fit in Piper's harness, they'll ride in that (Piper is six, her friends I carry are usually five and seven, so it's not a huge deal). My seven year old neighbor is outgrowing my Wizard, though, so I'll either have to start putting in a Radian for her, or make sure Piper realizes that T cannot ride in the Wizard anymore.

Wendy

ginny4

i had an extra turbo but i gave it to my nephew. i do have a AO (booster mode only now since i tossed the harness in the trash) if absolutly necessary. my mom has a set of seats so i can always pick up a seat from there if needed. she only lives in town.

really my car is quite full with 4 kids. so i rarely take anyone else. IF my DH needs to take our 2 boys AND an extra boy to a cub scout event i will take one of our 5 points out & get a backless from my mom's car. DS#1 will determine which he & the friend gets to sit in. if he is smaller than him he gives the friend the HBB if taller the backless.

ZephyrBlue

Yes. 8yo DD is harnessed in our primary vehicle, but uses the Monterey on rare occasion when she rides in DH's van. We use the Monterery as a spare for friends, as well as the Compass B510. If friends use a booster in their own vehicle and I'm not comfortable w/them in one in our van, I put the 8yo in the booster and the younger/smaller kid in DD's Nauti.

scatterbunny

Yes, we have spare boosters. I have a Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster, two Britax Bodyguards, and a Compass B510. My daughter is 7 now, and all her friends are either in boosters or just a seatbelt. They use one of our extra boosters when riding with us, or sometimes they'll use dd's Regent, and she uses the booster.

Right now I don't have a gender-neutral harnessed seat, only the Madison Regent, so if we have boys riding with us, they get one of the boosters. I have one friend (AndieW here) who has great, appropriate seats for her boys, so when they ride with us, we use her seats for them (Nautilus for her 6yo, Scenera for her 7mo).

TerisBoys

We rarely have friends with us that don't have their own seats, but if we did I'd be willing to let Josh go boosterless so someone could use his.

HEVY

Uhm, I have a RideSafer Vest. But the only child ever in my car is 3 so he will go in the Regent and DD, will use the vest.

Adventuredad

I don't have any extra car seats. If my kids go in another vehicle I first transfer their seats. If another kid is in my car, I refuse to move before a proper seat is transferred.

I'm lucky to be able to use taxis as well for the kids. The largest xaxi company, with thousands of cars, has equipped 70% of the fleet with Swedish rf seats which always accompany the taxis. That means I can still transport the kids safety in a taxi when there is no other option.

Morganthe

I have a Parkway that I keep for friends to ride in. If they are smaller/younger than dd I have them ride in the Regent and dd in the Parkway. If they are bigger/older I have them ride in the Parkway and dd in the Regent. No one has ever complained.

:yeahthat: Exactly!
Parkway rides in the car 100% of the time now, so either we can take an extra passenger or dd can use it in a friends's vehicle.

I always have a low back in the back of my van cargo area-just in case.

I have these extra seats(remember I do home daycare too, but I always have at least 2 extra boosters in my garage)

My rule is if you are in my car you have to be in a saftey seat of some sort if too young/too small to use the seatbelt. My 11 year old nephew rides in nothing in my sister's car, but rides in a HIGH Back in my car.

If a child is 4 years and 40 pounds they go in a booster, if I have no HWH seats available. Usually though if they fit in an extra HWH seat, they go in there-even if they hate it! ;-)
~FPSVD
~SCENERA
~Graco base
~FPSV booster
~Graco High back booster
~Graco LBB
~COSCO LBB

drlynne

I have two extras for our other car and two more extras for kids I babysit or my grandson when he rides with us. So total I have 6 seats and counting! Only 2 small kids. LOL.

Lynne

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC