Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

locking seat belt and locking clip

I need some clarification on something. When installing with a seatbelt I much prefer a locking clip but if the seat belt is locking is that a no-no? I know the locking clip is not needed with a locking seatbelt but if I like it better is that okay?
    Mama to DS1 7-98 in a seatbelt, DS2 11-07 in an Affix and Turbobooster, DD1 12-10 RF in a Headwise, DD2 4-12 RF in a Headwise
    Loving wife to DH

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: locking seat belt and locking clip

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/lockincss.aspx
    http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

The general rule is not to add anything if it isn't necessary.

The locking clip is merely a PRE-crash positioner: it simply keeps the seat in tightly before a crash so that the Emergency Locking Retractor will engage to hold it during the crash.

Locking clips do get stretched/bent/warped during a crash & have the potential to fly off becoming a projectile -- this is completely worthwhile when there is no other recommended way to lock the carseat in place.

If the vehicle's manual seatbelt locking mechanism isn't working then a locking clip is a solution (although I would look into fixing the seatbelt if possible in such a situation)
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Re: locking seat belt and locking clip

From an earlier post you made, it appears you have purchased a TruFit child restraint.

This seat comes with built-in lock-offs and you should *not* use a locking clip or lock the seatbelt. The built-in lock-off will keep the seat locked for you.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC