Would you get a ...

U

Unregistered

Truefit over a MA so that you have the extra 5 pounds RF??
My first DS is a lightweight at 2 years old and only 22-23 pounds but my second DS was just shy of 15 pounds at his 2 month check up so Iam thinking hes going to be a big guy. I wanted to get another MA because I love my seat and my DS seems to love it too. But with my second DS being so big Iam thinking I should mabey go with the truefit to get the extra 5 pounds.
What do u girls think?

Guess I should add that Iam in Canada too thats why my MA only goes to 30 pounds RF.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Absolutely. Plus someone just took pictures today of the Canadian seats and the True Fit was actually longer through the torso than the Marathon.

Wendy

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I absolutely would get a TF over the MA for that extra 5lbs rf'ing. With the MA coming in the shortest out of all the HWH convertible seats available in Canada, I would look at the other options a lot more than the MA - no sense in paying the highest price for a seat with the least use. (JMHO)

One other thing to consider, especially with a baby on the higher end of the charts, is that as he gets older he very well may find the MA uncomfortable. The shoulders are narrow compared to the other seats as well, and my 4yr old likes the MA least out of the Radian and TF. (She hasn't rode in the EFTA to compare it.) At 40.5" and 35lbs, she's not big by any means, but she's still not comfortable in it. It's a backup seat at the moment, and most likely won't be used regularly again.

theshapeshifter

Absolutely! Last year when my DS was ready for a convertible we bought a Marathon, figuring it was the best option available for a big baby at the time - but then just as I was thinking that we'd have to FF him shortly after turning one, the True Fit came out and it didn't take long to decide it was worth it! (And they're on sale right now too at TRU)

DS is nearly 30 pounds already at 13 months, so he would've had to be FFing now in the MA - but judging by growth charts, if he keeps up his current curve the TF should keep him RFing till close to 2, or hopefully later. If I recall correctly, he was about 13 lbs at 2 months, so sounds like your little one will be a similar size.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yes I would... even though I don't like the way the straps fold over in the buckle tongues and even though I don't like the way the adjuster is fairly low on the seat (can be difficult to get to when rear facing) and even though I don't particularly care for the more reclined forward facing mode...

all that to say, that even though it's not my favourite seat, it would definitely be my choice if it meant the difference of keeping my child rear facing to 2 years old vs. 1 year old.

If the child was only 30lbs at 2 years old, then I wouldn't bother... but 15lbs at 2 months... the TruFit wins hands down.

You can see the top 5 favourites with older kids forward facing in them in this thread.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes I would... even though I don't like the way the straps fold over in the buckle tongues
I thought I'd add, that since the last time the strap in the tongue discussion was had, I've made a conscious effort to ignore my straps and not do anything special to straighten them out. I'd say it's been at least a month since that discussion? and with daily use 9min 2x per day) I've never once had the tongues flip over or the straps fold over in the tongues. I asked my dad if he's had any issues with the one in their vehicle, and he's never done anything special and hasn't run into the issue either.

ETA: Seems Jen and I were talking about two different things with regards to the True Fit straps. Jen clarified what she meant here http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=533386&postcount=12

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Absolutely. Plus someone just took pictures today of the Canadian seats and the True Fit was actually longer through the torso than the Marathon.

Wendy
I think that it also depends on the vehicle seats and how the TF fits in there. DS fits doesn't have as much room in the TF as he does in the MA in our Honda Accord outboard. If the MA is outboard it give him more room then if it is in the middle and I found the TF is comparable to the MA when it is in the middle :twocents:

Truefit over a MA so that you have the extra 5 pounds RF??
My first DS is a lightweight at 2 years old and only 22-23 pounds but my second DS was just shy of 15 pounds at his 2 month check up so Iam thinking hes going to be a big guy. I wanted to get another MA because I love my seat and my DS seems to love it too. But with my second DS being so big Iam thinking I should mabey go with the truefit to get the extra 5 pounds.
What do u girls think?

Guess I should add that Iam in Canada too thats why my MA only goes to 30 pounds RF.
Are you moving him to a convertable now? At 2.5mths my dd is 13lbs which is the same as my ds was at her age. He was 20lbs at a year, 27lbs at 2yrs and now at 4yrs he is 36lbs and he has been right at the 50th% all along the way with at times slightly going above it. The weight gain slows done quite a bit the older they get. If you aren't wanting to buy right now and he slows down in his weight gain then I think I might be more inclined to get the MA if you think that he can make it to at least 2 before he reaches 30lbs :twocents:

Vanessa23

I would be surprised if he kept up that growth curve - my ds was 14lbs. at about 6 weeks and 90-95% for height and weight. At 17 months and 26 pounds and holding my pediatrician has said that he is following his genetic curve versus his "superbaby" curve. All this to say, unless you have genetics on your side for having a large/tall baby, I wouldn't count on their weight at 2 months being an indicator. I love my MA and would totally go for another one particularly since I have an OCD to have things symmetrical and matching :whistle:

Mystie81

I had to get a MA for my son since he outgrew his infant seat JUST a couple weeks before the TF came out. but now he's 10.5 months and weighs 24lbs! Every month he gains a lb or 2 still. It doesn't look like he will be able to be rearfacing in his MA until his 2nd bday :( Now i have to get him TF anyways. I think it's worth it so that he will be safer, but man it's frustrating that the canadian MA's can't just go up to 35lbs like the US!

Misty-Bug

I would just wait and see how he does. I found that from 1-2 or even 1.5-2 my son really slowed down in the weight gain. I wouldn't rush out and get another seat just yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC