trying to convince cousin to HWH

Mom2three

I am post happy today...but anyhow...our cousin was over yesterday with her 3 dd's. 3 yr old twins 38 lbs and an 18 mo old 28lbs. All are FF in these seats
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1943168
She knows they go to 40lbs and wants to take the harnesses out and use it as a booster rather than invest in new HWH seats. But these girls CANNOT sit still even if it was considered safe at their age. She wasn't tightening their straps and wondered why they got out of their seats and jump around the car. She has been pulled over several times for this. She has started using the seats properly and last night we uninstalled all 3 and rethreaded the harness straps to the appropriate heights.

I suggested getting at least 2 GN and played up the fact that she wouldn't need to buy seats for the twins at least, after that. But at $150 ea she is looking at $300 right off and I know her husband will refuse. She seemed excited about the idea of harnessing to 65lbs especially since the girls will likely still be too wiggly. Are there any other options at all??? We have talked about going in as a family and getting them as gifts for their next b-day...but Christmas comes before that. Any other ideas??

ADS

Mom2three

How is the booster on the APEX compared to the GN? For when the time comes...hopefully later than sooner.

U

Unregistered1

The GN's top slots are also 2" or so higher than the Apex's so if the kiddos are tall-torsoed, the GN is worth it.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
IMO the extra money for the GN is worth it, but if she really cannot afford it, the Apex is a great option. She just has to make sure that she has the adjustable headrests that are required for the Apex. Since she has to buy 2 seats, she would save a good bit of cash if she bought the Apex over the GN. Other than the headrest issue, the Apex is a good seat. Before the GN came along the Apex was recommended a ton. It will not last as long harnessed as the GN but it still will get most kids to at least 5 harnessed.

Mom2three

She drives a Chevy Venture. I want to say '97 maybe '99. I don't know if the headrests adjust??? But I know that she does not have top tethers. I have tried to convince her to have some installed. Her husband is a mechanic, but I doubt he will do it. She says that she thinks it would be a good idea and that she will look into it. Isn't it fairly easy to install these yourself? I discussed this with my MIL and her MIL last night and I think that we have decided to have the whole family do in on the GN for the twins. They will grow with the girls much better and are available about an hour away so we can see them IRL. She will not RF the 18 mo old no matter how hard I try. But I think that she is going to get her a scenera instead of the cosco 5 pt booster.

TerisBoys

If it's a 97 she SHOULD have top tethers, and the headrests do adjust. Check her owner's manual next time you see her.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No top tethers in Ventures till 2000 I don't think. Apex is harder to buckle as a booster than other seats, it's SO wide :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC