Good cause, horrible picture!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Here's what I got in my email....

• Think your car is child-safe? Every year young children continue to die from vehicle-related accidents that could have been prevented by the auto industry.

Sign the petition urging car-makers to make vehicles safer for our kids!

When driving, we all try to take the greatest safety precautions with young kids. Yet since 2000, 723 children have died in non-traffic related incidents and most often, a parent or relative was the one behind the wheel.

This is an even greater tragedy knowing that the auto industry has the techology to prevent these accidents – but they refuse to make it a standard feature in the cars that most of us drive. Take action!

Safety features that detect a small child behind a car, and windows that auto-reverse to prevent power window deaths already exist, yet car-makers consider them "luxury" options – offering them only in high-end model vehicles.

But if the technology is available to make cars safer for kids, shouldn't every vehicle be equipped with it?

Now, Consumer's Union is working with members of Congress to pass bi-partisan legislation that will establish basic safety regulations and hold automakers accountable, ensuring safety devices like small-child rear-detection and auto-reversing windows become mandatory features in all new cars. Join them in action by signing the petition!

If you believe that every consumer deserves the best in car safety for kids, sign the petition urging your lawmakers to support this important bill.

Here's to protecting our children…Are you with me?

Lauren Alvarez,
    Care2 and ThePetitionSite Team

At the petition site it's only slightly better....

• Since 2000, 723 children have died in non-traffic related incidents such as back-overs and window strangulation.

The overwhelmingly majority of these victims were one year olds and in 70% of these cases, a parent or close relative was behind the wheel.

But automakers could have prevented a great number of tragic accidents like these. Technology such small-child rear-detection and auto-reversing windows already exist -- but is only available in high-end vehicles.

Shouldn't every car be made with the latest child-safe technology, even if it's not a "luxury" model?

Consumer's Union is working with members of Congress to pass bi-partisan legislation that will establish basic safety regulations and hold automakers accountable, ensuring safety devices like small-child rear-detection and auto-reversing windows become mandatory features in all new cars.

After all, if automakers can prevent child deaths – shouldn't drivers be able to?
Both pictures are links to the petition....

Last edited:
ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Does the top one have a chest clip? The bottom is of course really old but it does is proper for the time it was taken.

I dont like the backup alarm systems. They can fail and ppl become reliant on them so they dont use their own eyes to check behind them. I would prefer to see back up cameras installed on large suvx, trucks and some vans which can lie or fail in someway without the driver knowing.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
While I agree that backup alarms and cameras could be helpful in preventing back over tragedies, I also would worry about drivers trying to rely solely on electronic gadgetry to guide them while backing up. Trying to be prudent and looking back as well as checking the camera or using the sensors would be the best approach, but I do question whether most drivers would remember to do so consistently. I'm also constantly irritated at drivers in my area who apparently can't bother to turn their heads to check their blind spots when merging or changing lanes, so it's hard to imagine them using the above technologies wisely.

As for the picture, it looks like the chest clip might be just below the bottom of the picture, way low on the baby's abdomen, and whoa, is that harness ever loose.

I don't have the sensors or camera in my Sienna and I'm super cautious when I back it up or when I'm backing up in any vehicle for that matter. When I park in a parking lot, I usually try to find a spot where I can pull through and then leave by going forward without backing up. Even if it means I park an acre away from my destination, I prefer to park this way whenever I can.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I think the same goes for every type of passive safety device -- airbags, front wheel or AWD, ABS ... nothing can replace the human & the choices they make to be actively in control of safety!

But, I really lked my rear sensors -- when the WZ, BLVD & PW filled up my rear window they were a big help in the school parking lot where other parents let their preschoolers run in the middle without supervision :eek::mad::(

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I really like the sensors! Its great that they can go off when you don't see anything, makes you more carefull. The other day it was just a curb but it could have easily been a kid. Its not something to rely on but its nice that it goes off even when you don't see something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC