Daycare Vehicles

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
One of my instructors is with the Child Care Coordinating Council ... during the final review she pointed out to me that Daycare providors' vehicles must meet the same requirements as school buses (also that dealerships are supposed to be aware of this) :confused: We didn't have time for me to ask specifics at the time & I forgot later -- I've been trying to find information on this & have found nothing....

Some of you might remember that I had a 2005 Escape Hybrid -- the dealership broke the engine during its 1st oil change & after denying me my $ back (which I later learned I was supposed to get), they offered me an exchange for a 2004 Escape Limited (which I accepted & that made it impossible for me to demand my $ back) ... when I discovered that this vehicle was not at all worth what I was paying for, I threatened to write the Atty. Gen. & explained that I was trying to trade it in or sell it for a vehicle that I could use for opening my Daycare -- they gave me some $ back & a 2005 Freestar....

Yesterday, I went in to them again & explained the current predicament: that my CPSTech instructor (who will also be inspecting me to approve my daycare) said I'm required to have a vehicle that meets school bus regulations since I'll be transporting kids to/from school -- they'd never heard of such a thing, called the local school & were told that the school uses minivans & that was that *SIGH* He did say that we could try to exchange again, this time for a Focus (with side curtain airbags & much better gas mileage) + more $ back ... assuming the bank allows it -- then they could give me the name of someone who sells "short buses" :confused:

Does anyone have any information, advice, etc. :confused: I misplaced her email address & am waiting for a reply from someone else to find her & have also written the NYS CPST coordinator, but am hoping to gather as much information as possible....

THANKS

Last edited:
ADS

LuvBug

Wow that must be a regional requirement(something we never experienced with the daycare). What exactly do they want the vans to have?

LuvBug

Call them and demand answers. Tell them if they expect you to follow the rules then you need to know what they are. They can be stubborn sometimes(or at least the ones down here are) and sometimes pushing helps.

Also do you have any daycare providers you are chummy with? maybe they would know? Its always good to have friends on the inside, just a tip from experience ;)

(mom was one of the first ever licensed daycares in the state and was the president of the child care association for a little while, so I have lots of second hand daycare experience lol! Ive even played with the thought of reopening the daycare myself, but at the same time its not something I really want to do right now because Im just starting college and it is rediculous the hoops you have to jump through to open now. It would take at least 6 months of paperwork, appointments, and required classes just to start preparing to open. This may only be in our region, but its rediculous!)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Sheesh, I guess Oklahoma has a lot less stringent requirements! All they require is liability insurance! I increased my medical per occupant, but that's it. According to my insurance co (Farmers), as long as I'm not transporting for a fee, I don't need commercial coverage.

I have a feeling my kids are safer in my vehicle with my seats (mostly Britax) then in any school bus (with NO seat belts)!!!!

Kay...local car seat police! lol

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks everyone!

Quick update: the NYS CPST coordinator sent me a reply this morning ... the research she did states this is only necessary for Large Daycare centers with more than 11 kids -- I'm only opening a small family daycare with less than 6 kids at one time! ;) :D We're AOK :)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
That sounds better! I know here in Oklahoma...they are now requiring all centers (not home daycares) who transport children to have a person on staff trained to install carseats. They won't be full fledged techs...but they will go through a course on proper usage and installation.

Kay...who wants to become a tech!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Well thats good news, you've had enough issues already b/c of your car!

My mom drove the day care van when she worked for one of the worst (but most popular) day cares in our area. It was a 15 passenger van with 4 shoulder belts, they werent allowed to tell kids to put on belts (lap belts) and didnt allow car seats in them b/c they take up space and the daycare providers arent allowed to install or put a kid in one b/c of liability if they do it wrong so it reduced occupant space on rides without kids in seats. They also use the short buses to transport kids but i dont know their info b/c she didnt have the required license to drive one. (you'll most likely need a bus drivers license if you plan on getting on eventually) Our local chevy dealership sells them. The sales guy tried to get us to try one when we were car shopping but i dont plan on having enough kids to fill a bus (i'm not as patience or as happy being pregnant as michelle duggar!)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Kay, I thought you yesterday. One of the techs yesterday has her own daycare and pulled up in a 15 passenger van w/ at least 7 seats in there. :) It reminded me of the pics of your van. lol

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
LOL, I do NOT want a van like that!!! Nope! I'm hoping for the Toyota Sienna next year. We shall see. I've only drooled over them online...haven't seen one in person yet.

Dawn

KaysKidz said:
LOL, I do NOT want a van like that!!! Nope! I'm hoping for the Toyota Sienna next year. We shall see. I've only drooled over them online...haven't seen one in person yet.

I have an 04 Sienna and LOVE it! I have the 7 passenger XLE because I wanted the remote trunk and both sliding doors. But I am considering going to the LE 8 passenger like my Sister-in-laws for an extra seat. It is a wonderful van and it has a ton of trunk space and is very easy to get in and out of.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Question on the Sienna then if you don't mind! I'll need the 8 passenger due to my daycare, and was wondering how you access the 3rd row?? Right now in my suburban, I keep the 2nd row passenger side empty (or install my Safeseat as it's in/out in a second...or a bpb depending on my needs) so I can access my 3rd row. Am I dreaming to think I can keep 3 seats installed in the middle and still access the 3rd row?!

Also, do you know if you can install 3 seats in the 3rd row?? I've come up with a combo that works in my suburban (2 BV's outboard and an Evenflo Express (?) harnessed booster in the middle), despite the fact that it's narrower then the middle row. But it suprisingly works. Just wonder what the Toyota dealer will think of me when I show up with 6 car seats trying to install them all! LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC