Questions about selling a car seat cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mom2MyStars

The seat was in an accident. I am going to get rid of the seat. It was unoccupied at the time, no airbags were deployed and only damage was to the front of the vehicle. I know the seat might be okay but the insurance has already given us the check to replace it. It has a MA cover in Granite that I was considering selling. It has had very little use, never been washed, no stains and smoke free. I have the cover, belly pad, comfort pads, HUGS and chest clip. Are all of these parts okay to sell? Is it safe to sell?

Seat has DOM 3/13/07 but does that matter for the cover?

Just making sure so I don't sell something that might make someone else's LO unsafe. I hate to sell it. I like this cover better that the one on my Decathalon. The Granite is so soft!

ADS

clmchrissy

Just use it on your Decathlon. In regards to your question, I *think* a cover is okay to use after the seat has been damaged. I'll let someone else confirm that.

ETA: I would personally not sell or re-use the harness, chest clip or hugs.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Just use it on your Decathlon. In regards to your question, I *think* a cover is okay to use after the seat has been damaged. I'll let someone else confirm that.

There will not be holes for the croch strap adjustment on the cover like is on the DC cover.

Mom2MyStars

ETA: I would personally not sell or re-use the harness, chest clip or hugs.

Why? Gross? Saftey? I don't mean this to be mean or rude. :love: And I don't mean to offend anyone. Just plain curious and would like to consider everything.

Are there any saftey issues with using the MA cover on a DC?

BTW, I wasn't going to sell the harness straps. I didn't think it was safe. Is it????

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Lots of people put MA covers on DC's, the crotch strap of the MA lines up with the DC's middle slot, so it's fine, and the adjuster button will be covered, but that's no big deal.
I'm not really sure that the harness of an unoccupied seat in a minor crash is compromised, personally...there weren't any forces on the harness :confused:

cryswilkins

I think that all of those parts are fine to use, as long as the seat was unoccupied. The harness would be OK too, I am not sure if the DC takes the same harness as the MA. :confused:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
IIRC, the harness webbing can stretch in a crash, so those pieces - the ones actually used to restrain the child, they should not be re-used.

crunchierthanthou

I agree with the others that the cover, pads, chest clip and HUGS can be reused. As for the harness, forgive me as I hijack-

one of the very first threads I ever posted on a carseat board was the same as this- asking what parts I could scavenge off an unoccupied crashed seat. There were a few who chimed in that the harness was unusable because the airbags had gone off and the chemicals involved may have an effect on the webbing. Now 1.5 years later, I'm still not decided on the matter. On the surface, it seems an unlikely scenario and I would expect that there would be warnings regarding the matter if it were an issue. However, there's always that little "what if..." voice that thinks it isn't worth taking the risk.

thoughts?

clmchrissy

I only said I wouldn't use the harness, hugs or chest clip because I'm blind & missed the unoccupied seat portion. So I was thinking safety issues :) Still not 100% sure I'd want to be sell them or re-use them (never know & like it's said a lot around here want to use your child as test dummy?). So, for the best answer I'd call Britax.

cryswilkins

I am not sure what I would do in the situation either. I think that I would make sure that I was comfortable using them before considering selling them to someone else.

TXAggieTech

I would use the harness myself, but I would not sell it to someone else. Infact, I have a complete set that is off a crashed MA that wasn't tethered and installed with seatbelt. But I don't think I would sell a used harness alone either way, crashed or not.

Cover, I'd sell in a heart beat!

Mom2MyStars

I am just going to get rid of the harness and the chest clip. Maybe I can sell just the cover, belly pad and comfort pads. What about the HUGS? Should I just pitch them too?

BTW, thanks for all the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC