Car sick help needed!!!!!

My 5 1/2 year old gets car sick super easily..... he is going on a trip wtih grandparents this coming weekend(15-18th). It is a 7 hour car ride. They have never been on a car ride that long.(lol, can you tell we don't get out much).

So, he will be taking along his Frontier, but he gets car sick bad. He just looks at a sign on the road(studies it for long) or looks at his water bottle or sippy cup and he gets so sick.

I need something to help with this, so they don't have to clean up puke. (I am packing an extra backless booster just in case, they have no room for an extra High back-I am so not comfortable with him in a backless, but better than nothing till they can stop and clean the seat).

So, can he use dramine? He is 5 1/2, 48 pounds, 47 inches. What to keep him occupied??? He is usually good in the car, but most he has driven is 3 horus.

he is ok, with his brother playing with stuff and he isn't,....he knows he gets sick and hates it.
Now, what to bring for my 3 1/2 year old in car(who does not get carsick)? I am letting him ride FF in their car and hei s taking his FPSVD-cuz, he knows how to buckle and unbuckle himself in it and knows how to do the chest clip where it goes! LOL!

ADS

Baileybb

Maybe bring along a portable DVD player? Or, perhaps the grandparents can stop every 2 hours or so and let him play at a park, eat, etc....
What about Gravol? Have you tried that? Or, maybe you can do something really active (go to a park, play a sport, swim, etc) right before he goes to leave, so he would sleep in the car?

rosey2007

Try giving your son some ginger. Ginger is also known to help with car sickness and it is natural. You may also ask your parents if they could open the windows and let some fresh air in once in awhile.

emars002

i was very car sick as a kid - actually still am - i have to drive all the time - i can't even sit in the front passenger seat (DH hates it:))- fresh air helps a lot - if they could keep his window down a little it made a huge difference for me -

I am all for the all natural stuff...so ginger and gravol I will check into. i wonder if My inlaws would buy a portable dvd player for their favorite 2 grandchildren(read only grandchildren) LOL! I so have no money in my budget for one, since this was just sprung on me this week for the trip.

Fresh air seems to help a lil' for him. I will remind them of that.

Oh before I am done with rules and stuff they are so not going to want to go.
Don't worry they have already been through My "carseat lecture and class" they traveled 2 hours with Michael in a booster a few weekends ago(high back booster)-(I didn't know they were going anywhere so didn't leave the frontier) and they said he was so wiggly and everyhing and for us next time to leave the frontier :love:!!! They are the grandparents that listen,...that is why they can take them places.

Try giving your son some ginger. Ginger is also known to help with car sickness and it is natural. You may also ask your parents if they could open the windows and let some fresh air in once in awhile.

Stupid question!! Does this come in a tablet or is it liek the ginger in my spices? OH MY! I am so stupid sometimes. :whistle:

daycaremom2002

We use ginger in a capsule, but that may be to big for him to swallow. Ginger snaps help, so does ginger ale. A dvd player may help, but I wouldn't count on it. I get more sick if I focus on something in the car and don't pay attention to the road. Make sure he has some light food in his stomach when he leaves, and that he frequently snacks on crackers or pretzels. It will help if his stomach has something to absorb the extra acid. I would suggest having a bucket handy just in case he feels sick. It is a lot easier than having to clean a kid and a carseat.

keri1292

Is there a center seat that he can sit in? Having a full view keeps my stomach under control. Also, I'd try Queasy Pops (like Preggie Pops). :)

Kabes

OMgoodness, I just typed a book and lost it. Here is the short version.

sit in the middle
sunglasses-dark & close fitting
wrist bands - sold in pharmacies for sea sickness
chew gum- peppermint always worked best for me
play car games for diatraction/entertainment

my2kidsSafe

My 2 get very sick. Ds so bad i had to forward face him and he was so close to be diagnosed as failure to thrive. he is 19 months. So there is not much really to do with him. My dd is getting better and she is 4.5 so she is able to tell us if she feels sick. I recommend keeping a towel next to him and a bucket. When dd was younger we used to drape a towel over for all car trips. Another thing that helps her is having both vents blow cold air on her the whole time. She used to freeze so we keep a sweatshirt in the car for this now and it works out great. I think the dvd player helps her, but thats an iffy thing with kids who get carsick. With some it makes it worse, but prevents her from looking out the window. The things that she has mentioned that makes her sick is looking out the window. So maybe if you could put some of the sunshades (sticker kind) on the window it will mak eit more difficult to see out there. Another thing is crackers help. I let her eat in teh car. But i limit the fluid, just so she doesn't have a stoamch full of liquid only. We recently took a 6 hour car drive this summer and it worked out great. (No one threw up). With ds it was great because he napped through most of the trip. When he was awake we took our stops to eat and run around. When we got back into the car he was tired agian and slept through part of it.

i'm not sure on dramamine for young kids. my mother gets car-sick, boat sick, airplane sick...heck if your traveling she's getting sick. she bought those bands that go on your wrists. hey have no medicaction its supposed to be something with pressure points. they help her. i used them in the beginning of my pregnancy by my midwives reccomendation and it worked. you could give those a shot. also not sure if this would be acceptable but what about putting a waterproof changing table pad cover under his butt on the frontier so if he got sick they would only have to pull over change him and the pad so he could continue riding in the frontier.(i used one under my dd when we were potty training incase of accidents. they are really thin so they shouldn't raise him up in the seat at all. i would hate for him to get sick 2 hours in the trip and have to ride the rest in the backless booster.

Mommy2Marcus

I suggest giving him a bucket or something to use to throw up into if he gets sick. Also what about keeping something cool for him to sip on like sprite, 7-up, ginger ale, or something of that nature. Also crackers, animal crackers, pretzels, or anything that is dry for him to munch on.

Another thing might be for him to have a damp cloth to pace at the back of his neck or the base of his throat, open windows or maybe just being able to go to sleep.

That is all I can think of. I hope he does well. Good Luck!

Thank you everyone! This has helped so much. I will make sure to relay this all to my inlaws. I already have small bucket(remember those happy meal buckets) ready to go..

Thank you! Hopefully something will help. I will update when he gets back! (They leave Friday night I think-they still aren't sure what day)

Mom2three

I know that the label on dramamine says that children as young as 2 yrs old can take it...I haven't asked my pediatrician though. But this is the info on the label.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC