LATCH limits...different in Canada?

northernmommy

I'm a bit confused about the LATCH limits in my Venture (it's my first vehicle with LATCH, so it's all new!). Are the limits different in Canada vs the US? I've heard that the limit for Chevy is 48lb lower, 40lb top, but I've also heard that the Canadian cars have a different limit (don't recall where I heard this, and have no idea if it's true or not!). So now I'm really confused, how can top tethers be mandatory here, yet the anchors only be approved to 40lbs? Should my 46lb dd's RN not be tethered? And do I have to spot using the lower anchors once she hits 48lbs? :confused: Help!!!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
LATCH was created to simplify things...uh huh.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a vehicle manufacturer that dictates differing LATCH weight limits based on the destination of their vehicles. Unfortunately, most Canadian vehicle manuals do not state an upper limit for LATCH anchors, likely because at the time of vehicle production we did not have harnessed seats above the 48lb mark. Now that we do, I'm unsure of whether or not this has changed (and I don't have a Canadian-market vehicle..) in later model vehicles.

No, you cannot stop tethering your carseat due to the manufacturer's recommended weight limits of your tether anchors. It's legally required to tether all FF harnessed seats in Canada. This does sort of add to the whole weight limit confusion, though.. Maybe this will clear things up:
http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm

As for whether or not to discontinue using LATCH once your child reaches the manufacturer's recommended weight limit...You're the parent, and really that's your decision to make. If the manufacturer recommends I discontinue use of the LATCH anchors once my child reaches a certain weight, I'm going to do it. I even have a '08 vehicle, which has the higher Newtons weight limit LATCH anchors and I still continue to obey the advertised 40lb (Honda) limit. Let's put it this way--seatbelts are designed to restrain adults and therefore can most certainly restrain a small child in addition to a child restraint. That seatbelt isn't going to fail on your child, whereas the LATCH anchors are designed to withstand significantly less force than a seatbelt. If you use LATCH anchors beyond the manufacturer's recommended limits, you run the risk of those anchors failing. If you switch to the seatbelt, rest assured that it's highly unlikely for that belt to fail due to child+restraint force since it's designed for your average fat American adult.. :)

-Nicole.

shauburg

Unfortunately, most Canadian vehicle manuals do not state an upper limit for LATCH anchors, likely because at the time of vehicle production we did not have harnessed seats above the 48lb mark. Now that we do, I'm unsure of whether or not this has changed (and I don't have a Canadian-market vehicle..) in later model vehicles.

In know our 2008 Jeep Patriot (Canadian) manual does not state any LATCH anchor limits & we bought our 65 lb limit seats before the Jeep!

Things are always slow to change. Vehicle manufacturers will probably only start putting this information in manuals if either a) they are required by law to do so or b) they are constantly bombarded with calls from owners asking these questions.

Since most people I encounter into don't even realize that the LATCH anchors usually have a weight limit, I don't see b) happening. :rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I know that Ford puts LATCH limits in their vehicle manuals, but I can't think off the top of my head of other manufacturers who do.

TC current recommendation is that use of lower anchors (UAS) be discontinued at 48lbs until further research can be done into what the lower anchors can withstand.

Top tethers are required by law and must be used at all times.

I wonder if we'll see an official consumer information notice from them regarding lower anchor limits?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC