*6 year old unrestrained I NEED TO VENT*

I used to watch this boy and he is one of my son's good friends(i don't really hang out much with mom because she isn't the best, ect..-she is my best friends husbands cousin-does that make sense? LOL). Anyways...
He is 6 years old(march 2002), 58 pounds, 47 inches. I took him friday night for a sleepover and he put up a fuss being in a booster(high back). He said I am too big for this, mom and dad said.. I am getting too big for these babies seats.
I said, You know my rules, you know it is safe and you are suppose to be in a booster. He then proceeds to sit down in the seat and puts the strap behind his back. I say, "I am not leaving until you put the strap right"!(this boy is a very well mannered boy, but boy have his parents corrupted him on carseat usuage).

So, then we drop him off today(meet up with mom at target) and he hops in the front seat! I said, "Um, you know he needs a booster and the front seat is not safe"! Mom says, "Oh I know I was going to make him move"!

Me: ok.

So, then he proceeds to jump in the back (where there is a cosco high back booster-the kind that goes from harness to booster)-he gets in on the seat next to it(no booster), puts the strap behind him and they drive away!

I called the police and they said they would look into it :whistle:

It makes me mad, because I saw a saftey check going on a block away!!!

Ughhhhh!!!!!!!!!

ADS

a_js

Good for you, and shame on his mom for setting a bad example :thumbsdown: What does she expect when she tells him he's too big to sit in a booster? Of course he won't want to.

its is mom sad way of getting out of having to spend money on a boosterseat. she probably will go get a new pair of shoes or her nails done instead. my dd had a 4 yr old girl in her preschool class that her parents let ride around with nothing but the car seat belt put behind her also. my dd told her she wasn't cool cuz she wasn't safe in the car and that she should get a coll seat like hers. i know thats not nice but hey the next week sh should up in a pink turbo booster. hey its better then nothing.

Redneck-Mama

It's awful see Kids you care about in danger. My Niece's don't even wear seat belts most of the time.
they're 10 & 6 years old(and they're tiny). I don't even remember them using carseats.

Last Night they came over, My BIL was drunk and the Girls were jumping around the backseat. I'm afraid to call the cops, I don't know what my BIL would to my Sister if they got a ticket.

popsicle

I'm sorry, I know how you feel. :( I have to watch my best friend drive off with her 5 and 7 year olds in no seats with the shoulder belts behind their backs. I've sent her photos of seatbelt syndrome and even gave her a HBB for the little one... but she won't use it. I don't know what else to do. :shrug-shoulders:

Mommy2Marcus

I wish some people would think before they do crap like they do. My SIL pulled up at my IL's last week with my 2 y/o nephew in a backless booster, in the front seat with the shoulder belt tucked behind his back AND the front seat had an airbag! This made me SO angry!

However I will add that I chewed her a new one over this one AND she came back a few days later with him in the back seat in a 5 point. I was happy, but I think the only reason he went back into the 5 point was b/c his 4 y/o brother needed the booster! SHEESH people...get some common sence already!

red-neck mama on a night like that i would offer to have a sleepover with the girls..movie night or something. at least they wouldn't be in the car if he got in a crash. in ct if you get pulled over drunk driving they impound your car and you spend the night in jail.

2boys3girls

I have a friend who has 6 kids. She has a tiny 2 1/2 year old (21 lbs) front facing in a very old (not sure if it's *quite* expired YET). She actually USED to move her kids to regular seat belts ASAP after they turned 4 years of age. I believe the "law" requires car seats only til age 4 here in MN., and that it's not based at all on the child's size. She has a 4 year old who is very small and HE IS in a hb booster (not the harnessed kind) Her extremely skinny and short 9 year old is in a seat belt only. And her TINY-TINY (30lbs max) 6 1/2 year old boy with CP is in a seat belt!!! But here's the KICKER: she told me her hubby picked these 2 seats up in the alley next to the dumpster behind a Goodwill store. His office is next to the Goodwill. I have advised her many times on car seat issues. Only her youngest child has medical insurance (state) NOT EVEN THE CHILD WITH CP, and i think they will provide her with a free car seat. They could use that seat for one of the older kids, as the youngest is only 5m old and TINY.... they actually bought her a new seat at birth. You know, as I'm writing this I've pretty much decided that i will buy new seats from target for them. Last time I checked, Target had all of their seats marked down, anyway. :) My sister rode with this family for 10 hours (they have a 12p van) and sis told me most of the kids were free-to-roam nearly the entire time; even lying on the van floor to watch DVD's. My sister, being a car-seat NUT, nearly had a stroke. :mad:
Yes, common-sense is a quality this "friend" is clearly lacking!!! I just don't get it!

Chrissy

Last Night they came over, My BIL was drunk and the Girls were jumping around the backseat. I'm afraid to call the cops, I don't know what my BIL would to my Sister if they got a ticket.

I would hope your sister would have the courage to leave a man who would drive drunk with her children in the car! (That would be instant grounds for divorce in this household.) Not to mention if she is afraid of him, she needs to get her and the kids out of that situation. There are resources for women everywhere. Please help her find them.

Redneck-Mama

oh, He wasn't driving. my sister was and they won't let me watch the girls because of my kids.

Sorry OP for kinda high-jacking the post:eek:.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC