Hello Everyone

Kristen

Hi! I have really enjoyed these boards for the past week and thought I should let you know who I am. My name is Kristen, I am 31 with 2 children, Johann, 4 and Kasmira, 2. We live in Nova Scotia, Canada. My husband of 8 years is in the armed forces and I "stay home" with the kiddies.

For the past 2 years I have been a Child Restraint Safety Technician with St. John's Ambulance. This is a national program, though our restraint laws are mostly provincial.

Just before finding this site I encountered an American couple, who had very recently emmigrated to Canada, at a clinic. I always knew that the laws in our countries were different, but I didn't realize how different. I admire those of you here that are not only fighting public misconception but lack of restraint law! My hat off to you all and I look forward to getting to know you better.

ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Welcome Kristen. I hope you enjoy this board as much as the rest of us do. There are a lot of very knowledgable people and I learn something new daily. What are the laws for child restraints in Nova Scotia? I live in Michigan, and they are one of the worse states for child restraint laws. I really hope that changes soon! Have a wonderful day and welcome to this board... glad you found us.

Kristen

First of all we have national laws, all car seats must meet Canadian standards to be sold in Canada; all children under 40# must be in a restraint (there are some exceptions but they are different province to province); rf till one year and 20#, though all literatures now says to leave them rf to the upper limits of the seat; rf seat is not to be tethered; ff seat must be tethered.

Nova Scotia just brought in a booster seat law that will keep children in a booster to 4'9" or 9 years old. We are not sure where the 9 years came from and have already started lobbying politicians to have it changed. Halifax clinics install about 3000 seats/year, unfortunately we are in the boonies and most people don't seem to care. I do alot more educating than installing:(

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hello, Kristen! :) It's great to have a Canadian tech's knowledge and perspective here.

Lea_Ontario

Those sound pretty close to the Ontario laws Kristen.

Here, it's 4'9, 80 lbs or 8 yrs old (whichever comes first) for the end of booster use.

Kristen

I was in Ontario when the booster seat law came in, but I wasn't a tech then and didn't realize that the height alone should be what we go by. Personally, I am having fun writing letters to politicians (a pronvincial elections should be coming up soon). They really jump when you mention child safety, too bad that doesn't always translate to better laws.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hello Kristen! :)

I haven't written our legislators in a while -- I did in time to support the new booster law here, but have been thinking about writing in to request a "Proper Use" clause (the announcement I'd read long ago mentioned a proper use clause, but it actually does NOT exist in NY *grrr*) ... as well as a RF requirement for infants :rolleyes: ;)

WELCOME!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC