Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Question Should a Naked SS1 Look Like This?

This is my sister's new seat. It seems like it is missing something in the seating area. The foam just ends abruptly in the middle of the back and there's a 2" difference between it and the shell. It just seems weird to me.

TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Should a Naked SS1 Look Like This?

Yeah, I got mine yesterday and I was really disappointed.

But I cloth diapers, so it shouldn't be too bad. I am going to call Graco today if I ever ge around to it, to see if they'll sell me the Gracopedic foam they put in the 2 (ugly) higher end models of the safeseat.

CPS Technician

I had the Gracopedic model so mine didn't look like that. I thought mine had foam and padding all the way down.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

That's what mine looked like and my dd still acted like it was the most comfortable seat we owned, lol.

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

That's what I have. I never noticed it until I saw your picture though. I've taken the cover off several times to wash too.

DD2 has been using it for 15 months and has yet to complain. She prefers it over the marathon she uses on occasion.

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Good to know it's normal then!

I wasn't too concerned about comfort (I'm a big fat meanie that way. ... not that I don't want children to be comfortable, I just firmly believe that an adult's perception of comfort is NOT the same as a child's - not to mention the weight difference will make a big impact on what feels comfortable to sit or lie on.) It just seemed strange that you would have such a discrepancy between the shell and the ample padding in the head area. If they had angled the foam down at the bottom, or had extra foam in the seat area in the cover, it wouldn't have seemed so weird to me.

Thanks!