Question Uptown Latch threading question

SanDiegoLady

Could someone walk me through threading the latch on a new uptown for rearfacing installation (LATCH install). I just took it out of the box and I'm not sure I understand the manual where it tells me to thread it through the upper shell, then between rear harness slot and buckle strap. The strap connecting the latch belt to the chair seems way too long. Sigh.
Thank you.

ADS

featherhead

What I would do is just detach the latch strap from the seat. If you think you will lose it though, that's not a good idea. It does make it easier though, and if you aren't using latch, it doesn't get in the way.

Mama!

My uptown latch strap does NOT Detach!! It is attached at the back.

DO NOT Take it off.

Gather the straps and pull them forward. Move the cover out of the way as you do this.

Then, study the manual. It will show you where to lay the belt, as in on which side of the crotch buckle to lay it on. Check to make sure the buckles are angled DOWN and it is not twisted.

If you need detailed help, I'll be glad to take pictures of ours for you so you can get it right.

niccig

My Uptown is at DS's preschool, so I can't check. But I'm fairly sure you have to put the latch strap and connectors through the shell, there's a hole I think for this, and then you take off the cover on the base of the car seat, so you can see the connectors. You then put the latch connectors through the sides for the RF belt path - it doesn't matter which one goes out each side, as long as the latch strap is straight. The latch strap has to be between the crotch buckle and the harness straps, so it doesn't interfere with either of those. The small strap that connects Latch to the car seat is long, but don't worry about it. Just make sure that the Latch strap does not get in the way of the crotch buckle or the harness straps.
HTH.

featherhead

I thought it was similar to the Scenera, where there is a strap connecting the latch strap and the shell. I unscrewed the screw that was holding this connecting strap to the shell. But if the Uptown is different then just ignore me:)

SanDiegoLady

Okay, will look at the manual again, I am planning to use the latch system, I just don't understand how it says to pull the latch part through the lower side holes (pardon my terminology) because afte I did this there seemed to be too much slack on the strap that connects the latch belt to the back of the seat. I will take another look at it as soon as I get the twins down for a nap. :)

featherhead

Its long enough to reach, so I wouldn't be unscrewing anything from a seat :thumbsdown:

I remember reading on here before that it was ok to do (I'm pretty sure it was with the Scenera). The little strap is only to keep the latch strap from getting lost. It doesn't serve any other function. In fact, when I used a seatbelt, and left the latch strap on the seat (anchors stored properly), the straps just seemed in the way in the belt path. It was much easier once it was removed. It did not damage or change the latch strap in any way.

SanDiegoLady

Okay that helps, knowing the little strap is just to keep the latch belt from getting lost.
I think I got it now. The problem I was having was with the manual where it shows (step #2) the person threading the LATCH belt into the seat from behind, when in actuality the belt is already inside the seat and there is no need to route it through the upper shell slot. Did anyone else find this to be the case?
uptownmanual.jpg

jka1217

I see what you are saying. When I first got the seat, the LATCH strap was all wrapped in a bag, so I would have had to put it in through the seat that way. If it was already in the seat, you wouldn't have to worry about that step.

And I wouldn't worry about having slack in the little strap on the LATCH strap, it's just to keep the LATCH strap with the seat so you don't lose it.

I would take a picture of how my LATCH is routed for you, but it's installed and too hot out right now to mess with it.

jka1217

Ok, I had to go out and get the mail, so I went and snapped a couple pictures. Not sure how much help they are, but here goes.

This one, the crotch strap is removed so I could pull the cover up a little more. You can kind of see how there is slack in the little strap that holds the LATCH strap.
DSCN1732.jpg

This one the crotch strap is back in place to show how the LATCH strap needs to be in front of the crotch strap. The crotch strap is in the middle position since my DD is a bigger. You can definitely see the slack in the little strap in this one.
DSCN1730.jpg

Since there tends to be slack in the smaller strap, one time when I was in a hurry, it got all wrapped around the crotch strap and I couldn't figure out why the crotch strap had gotten so short. Just one thing to watch out for.

Hope that helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC