Questionable carseat safety check

U

Unregistered

A few days ago I was driving with my 8 month old DS and 10 year old DS and saw a sign for free carseat checks at a AAA office. So I pulled in and a nice older man came over. We went through the normal stuff of checking harness tightness, infant seat base tightness, whether seat was recalled, etc. (He said I was first one that had it right all day, this was at 2 pm after 4 hours of checks!! Scary!!) I have a towel rolled up to get the base of my evenflo embrace properly angled (2002 chevy trailblazer) and he said not to use that, it wasn't needed and proceeded to take it out and reinstall base. On the base the is a level indicator with red for bad and green for good and it was all the way red after he redid it and he said that was fine. Then he said only to rearface until about 15 months or so because my DS will be "tired of rearfacing" by then!!!! I plan on rearfacing as long as whatever convertible I get allows!!!
So my questions are, is it safe to use a rolled up towel to get a proper recline rearfacing?
My 10 year old is 80 lbs and 57 inches and fits the seat belt good, he is too big for the booster we used until he got to 57 inches. So he's good in a seat belt, right?
And just let me say I'm so happy Michigan FINALLY has a booster seat law!!!! Now if only people would start protecting their kids in the car!!

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Using a rolled up towel is fine under the end where baby's feet are to obtain the proper recline angle.

Did he also remind you that you must have the handle of that seat in the down position and there must be 1.5" of clearance between the handle and the front seat back?

Susan

U

Unregistered

No, he didn't remind me that the handle has to be down and it needs 1.5 inch clearance from the front seat but I already knew that just like I already knew I had it installed right. I just stopped by the seat check because you can never be too sure and I have no formal training for car seats. And honestly there are so many people who install incorrectly I thought it might be refreshing for them to come across someone who actually reads the manual and takes the time and effort to install it right.

I'm trying to decide on a convertible and I wish I could just design what I need in the color I want for the price I can afford!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC