Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question about the Ford Taurus 2001 and LATCH

My husband and I looked at one today and I notice the lower anchors seemed off center. It looked like a car seat would go in nicely in the center position using the lower anchors but if I tried to put my DD's marathon on either side it might I would have to move the seat over more?? Could this have been a flaw or are they all like this? Would it work with her marathon?

I'd ideally like to have my 8yo in the center spot since he is least protected in a parkway.
    ]

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: Question about the Ford Taurus 2001 and LATCH

The lower anchors in the Taurus are evenly spaced so that you can use LATCH in any position, but not all at the same time. you can either do two outboard or one center. You can still install the MA outboard, but you may have to use the seatbelt due to spacing, as it does make it a bit off center. LATCH is no more safe than seatbelts; it's just supposed to be more convenient.

a note on the 2001- there was a recall on the lower anchors in vehicles made before Aug 16, 2000. make sure it has been fixed if it's within the date range.

OK thanks! So in the event I used the lower anchors it would be normal for her seat to be towards the middle more?? Thats so lame! Why did they do that??
    I'll just put her outboard with the seatbelt so he can be in the middle.

a note on the 2001- there was a recall on the lower anchors in vehicles made before Aug 16, 2000. make sure it has been fixed if it's within the date range.
    So if thats the case, the 2001 and wouldn't be affected right??
    ]

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2snugbugs View Post
    OK thanks! So in the event I used the lower anchors it would be normal for her seat to be towards the middle more?? Thats so lame! Why did they do that??
    I'll just put her outboard with the seatbelt so he can be in the middle.

So if thats the case, the 2001 and wouldn't be affected right??
    no, it would. model years typically come out the summer or fall before the calendar year- 2009s are starting to show up now. The manufacture date would be on the inside of the driver's door frame.

Ok gotcha!!

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help.
    ]