What do you do with your old (not expired) seats?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
This a spin off of the car seat recycling thread. Up until recently I still had an Intera that was only a couple years old and in good shape, but it wasn't gettin' any love at our house. It sat & sat & sat in the closet because I didn't know what to do with it. When we were moving, I finally decided it was time to get rid of that seat. Well, then I still didn't know what to do with it. Goodwill doesn't take car seats for liability reasons. Would you post it on Freecycle? Donate it through some other organization? As it ended up, my dad had it with him at work one day (he left in his car, LOL) and was telling the other guys that he was going to drop it off at a teen parent center because it's the only place in the area that will take car seats, and 2 of the guys he works with started arguing about it. They both wanted it, LOL, to use for their grandkids. So, it was far easier to get rid of than I thought it would be. What do you do with your old, but still usable seats? I know I'm not the only one that buys car seats impulsively! :p
Now, I'll have to send the old (as in a couple yrs old) FPSV booster seat with him one of these days.

ADS

Mommy2Five

What?! You're supposed to get rid of them?!?!?
LOL (says the woman who has 23 of them in her house right now :eek:)

NannyMom

Well, I do have one that I'm going to be selling cheaply on Craigslist. And I had 1 in the past that I posted on Freecycle. If you know it's a good, usable, non expired seat, I don't see anything wrong with passing it on. Maybe I'm wrong?

BookMama

Senior Community Member

You must be cleaning them (or the cars) again, huh?

If you know it's a good, usable, non expired seat, I don't see anything wrong with passing it on. Maybe I'm wrong?

Nothing wrong with that! :thumbsup: I've passed three of our former seats on to my sister, to use for my nephew. I've also thrown out three seats that were expired, broken (stupid Portabout base broke when I was installing it!), or otherwise unusable.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

LOL I've got 13. My attic has shelves and it looks like Target up there. Though only one seat (well, two) are not expired that I don't use.

I passed one seat along to my friend who used it until it expired and she passed it back to me.

Actually, come to think of it, I think it may be more odd that I have seven or so seats that ARE expired that I have up there. LOL And that was intentional.

Wendy

Dillipop

It depends on the seat. I sold one seat that still had a couple years left on it, but DS had outgrown it. Another seat got tossed, even though it still had a couple years left- my evenflo titan. I hated that seat sooooo much that I couldn't pass it on in good conscience. I think that selling it, freecycling it, giving it to friends would all be fine, as long as the seat is in good condition and hasn't been in any accidents (obviously! LOL!).

U

Unregistered1

I give them away unless they can be passed down to the younger one later. When I got my GNs, A had not quite outgrown the Chase and Bolero so I gave them to her family to use in their cars, where she was riding in nothing. When M outgrows the TB completely, I will probably keep it around because I love it as a booster and will use it for A when she outgrows the Chase or Bolero in her family's cars. I might even use it instead of the Nautilus in booster mode... I just like it better. I also have a Cosco combination seat in my trunk that's waiting for a good home... can't decide who to give it to, but I got it on sale and I work at a daycare so there is no shortage of kids who need seats around here.

Carefulove

I give them away to friends. I have given away 4 so far (1 of them to my sister to have in her DH's van). The others to co-workers with infants/toddlers.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LOL, that's what I was thinking. Why are you keeping expired seats?

Presentations. Plus I buy them off of Craigslist and get them out of circulation. If I had infinite money I'd buy up all of the expired seats on Craigslist, and take in every stray cat and dog that came my way. Cats love carseats. Go figure.

Wendy

christineka

I sell if they have enough life left in them. If they have only 1.5 years then I'll give it away. Less than a year I hold onto until expired.

bethng

Depending on the seat I either sell it, give it to someone who needs a seat, give it to daycare to use ( if they need it) or just keep it for a back up at home! I would rather see a good usable seat being used then sitting in my garage.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter

:yeahthat: I have 13 now. Trying to sell an RA, maybe some boosters, since I have a start now. DH was talking about is pic the other day, when you had all the car seats in the house. He said I need to bring them all in and do that, lol.

NVMBR02

I have a few in my basement (2 or 3?) I know the snugride will expire this Dec. The rest I just have. I probably should do something with them.

Mommy2Five

:yeahthat: I have 13 now. Trying to sell an RA, maybe some boosters, since I have a start now. DH was talking about is pic the other day, when you had all the car seats in the house. He said I need to bring them all in and do that, lol.

Heh! You should!
I :love: Mass Carseat pictures!
I should get a new pic, I have a much more impressive selection now :rolleyes:. :whistle:

dhardawa

I loan many of them out. Right now, my neighbor has one of my Marathons for her great-nephew and a friend has my Companion. I will also give them away. I gave my neighbor a new Snugride, gave another CPST friend a new Graco Platinum Cargo, gave the girl I work with two new Big Kids, and gave CPS a new Safeseat. On a rare occasion, I'll sell them, but it is always through a car seat board where I feel confident that people trust me. I have sold some new seats on Craigslist.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC