How long can you use booster with back

U

Unregistered

Can boosters with backs be used until children outgrow the use of boosters? What would be the reason, other then convience, to use a backless booster?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've read in another CPSTech forum that any person who fits the weight & height limits of a booster would be safer using one.... & my instructor said the same thing -- actually, I modeled a few boosters for my class since I'm barely 100# :rolleyes: :p

Children outgrow a high back booster either when they reach the maximum weight limit according to the manual & stickers on the seat OR when the top of their ears are higher than the top of the carseat head support. If the child's ears are over their high back booster but their weight is under 100# & the vehicle has head rests built in then a backless booster like the Turbo would be very safe.

It's the law of physics that matter for safety even if the state says a child is allowed not to use a booster by age 6, 7 or 8 ... in order for the seatbelt alone to protect a child, s/he must answer yes to every question in the 5 STEP TEST:

scatterbunny

In addition, new studies are shown that highback boosters provide more protection, specifically head protection:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php

The Britax Parkway booster (shown in my signature) is the tallest highback that I know of, my 12.5yo, 5-foot-tall, 105 pound sister fits it still. It is also the only highback to have no upper weight limit, so as long as a child can still fit in width-wise (stocky children may not because of the torso wings) they can continue using it after 100 pounds.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Eh? If that's in the manual I missed it! I'm going to have to get into my mom's car & check our Parkway....

But, yes, deep side head wings (with EPS foam) do provide better side impact protection :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Fantabulific

I do remember only 30# minimum for Leila to use in Grandma's car & didn't even think about what the maximum might be; therefor obviously didn't even realize there isn't one!

Haven't had a chance to really go through all my saved websites (like that one) for a while ... thanks for linking that Jenny -- hopefully, I'll get to really looking through them all again when this semester is over! :cool:

scatterbunny

I didn't know it, either, and I own a Parkway, too! When I looked through all the handouts from the 1-day CPS class (including that booster seat info from SBSUSA) and saw the "no weight limit" thing, I thought it was a misprint and asked around, and found out it's true.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We only got the newest NHTSA binder, Safe Kids News, NYS leglislation & a list of links to look at in our spare time ... I'd have loved if they'd mentioned how helpful & informative some of the links are! :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

U

Unregistered

should i make them get a high back

My 5 (almost 6) year old ds has a backless booster for his grandparents van ('06 odyssey)... Should I ask them to get a high back for safety reasons? The last time he rode in their van I had them use his booster (it's a graco, combo thing--we've had it for three years or so...originally used as a 5 pt seat)...because I didn't like the way the belt fit him (he was sitting in the waaaaaay back).

Do you think I should ask them to get one? (They have to have their own seat, or they want to. They have one for the baby too, it's the same seat I have...[the cosco seat you guys recommend to everyone, i can't seem to spell it tonight. lol])

(I am registered as simplysomething, but I keep forgetting to log in)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd also want my kindergartner in a highback ... & I'd teach kiddo as well as grandparents to engage the switchable Automatic Locking Retractor (by pulling the belt all the way out so the shoulder locks in place) ;)

However, if kiddo keeps the belt properly positioned for the entire length of every trip & either they have side curtain airbags or he's in a middle position, then I wouldn't harrass them about it -- I'd bring it up & hope for the best, but sometimes going overboard can backfire :eek:

BEST OF LUCK :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC